Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "ghost" files in my Music Folder??

"ghost" files in my Music Folder??

Alan

While defragging my system (XP Professional) last night, I noticed something
odd: music file titles were flitting by at the bottom of the screen, and
they were showing ".wav" as the extension. Being pretty sure that I didn't
have any files in .wav format, I opened up the My Music folder and, sure
enough, the titles I'd seen go by were listed as .mp3.

It was only after I'd used the "search for hidden files" option of File
Search did I discover that the .wav versions of those titles were indeed on
my computer --- they were in the program files of Burn4Free cd-burning
program, and they happened to be files I'd burned to .cda format. As the
..wav versions were taking up quite a bit of room (they were roughly 10 times
the size of the mp3 version), I deleted them. My "Free Space" jumped from
58% to 66%. (One would think the Burn4Free folks might mention this
phenomenon, since available storage space can be eaten up quite quickly)

Great ---- mystery solved and effectively dealt with, BUT . . . another
mystery, totally unrelated to cd-burning, had presented itself:

Doing a couple of other test file searches (and NOT using the hidden file
option), the searches consistently came up with TWO copies of the same file,
both with EXACTLY the same name and properties, and both described as being
in EXACTLY the same place. This seems to be true for all the media file
extensions in the My Music folder and did not hold true for other file types
in other folders . . .
What's going on? Do I *really* have two copies of each of my music files?
Is this some sort of obscure "back-up" feature I'm not aware of?
P.S. Just did a little experiment --- moved what appears to be the ONLY copy
listed of a file in the MyMusic folder to the Desktop, and ran a file
search. Result: it found ONE copy on the desktop. But when I moved it
back to the MyMusic folder, the search found TWO identical copies in that
folder . . .
P.P.S. My apologies in advance to those who think I should have googled to
find the answer on my own without bothering the newsgroup --- I did make an
attempt, but apparently my research skills are just not up to it. Thanks
for your attention . . .
--
Alan

Walter Mautner

Alan wrote:

Ah, these intermediate wav files should be deleted after a audiocd burn,
indeed ...

> Great ---- mystery solved and effectively dealt with, BUT . . . another
> mystery, totally unrelated to cd-burning, had presented itself:
>
> Doing a couple of other test file searches (and NOT using the hidden file
> option), the searches consistently came up with TWO copies of the same
> file,
> both with EXACTLY the same name and properties, and both described as
> being in EXACTLY the same place. This seems to be true for all the media
> file extensions in the My Music folder and did not hold true for other
> file types in other folders . . .
> What's going on? Do I *really* have two copies of each of my music files?
> Is this some sort of obscure "back-up" feature I'm not aware of?
> P.S. Just did a little experiment --- moved what appears to be the ONLY
> copy listed of a file in the MyMusic folder to the Desktop, and ran a file
> search. Result: it found ONE copy on the desktop. But when I moved it
> back to the MyMusic folder, the search found TWO identical copies in that
> folder . . .

The "My Mussic" folder is just a link. If you search on the whole workplace,
it will find the regular path as well as the link

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It was only after I'd used the "search for hidden files" option of File
>Search did I discover that the .wav versions of those titles

You need to change the way Explorer views files.

Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E), under TOOLS, open Folder Options,
then the View Tab. Change these settings:

Select Display the contents of system folders
Select Show hidden files and folders
UnSelect Hide Extensions for known file types
Unselect Hide Protected operating system files (ignore popup)
--
science told: hands off gay sheep
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...524408,00.html

Alan

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan wrote:

> Ah, these intermediate wav files should be deleted after a audiocd burn,
> indeed ...
>
>> Great ---- mystery solved and effectively dealt with, BUT . . . another
>> mystery, totally unrelated to cd-burning, had presented itself:
>>
>> Doing a couple of other test file searches (and NOT using the hidden file
>> option), the searches consistently came up with TWO copies of the same
>> file,
>> both with EXACTLY the same name and properties, and both described as
>> being in EXACTLY the same place. This seems to be true for all the media
>> file extensions in the My Music folder and did not hold true for other
>> file types in other folders . . .
>> What's going on? Do I *really* have two copies of each of my music files?
>> Is this some sort of obscure "back-up" feature I'm not aware of?
>> P.S. Just did a little experiment --- moved what appears to be the ONLY
>> copy listed of a file in the MyMusic folder to the Desktop, and ran a
>> file
>> search. Result: it found ONE copy on the desktop. But when I moved it
>> back to the MyMusic folder, the search found TWO identical copies in that
>> folder . . .

> The "My Mussic" folder is just a link. If you search on the whole
> workplace,
> it will find the regular path as well as the link

Thanks --- that makes sense. and a Happy new Year to you . . .

--
Alan

Alan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>It was only after I'd used the "search for hidden files" option of File
>>Search did I discover that the .wav versions of those titles

> You need to change the way Explorer views files.
>
> Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E), under TOOLS, open Folder Options,
> then the View Tab. Change these settings:
>
> Select Display the contents of system folders
> Select Show hidden files and folders
> UnSelect Hide Extensions for known file types
> Unselect Hide Protected operating system files (ignore popup)

Thanks, I'd always unselected the Hide Extensions option, but hadn't gone to
the extent of deselecting the Hide protected os files ---- thanks for the
advice (and a Happy New Year!)

--
Alan