Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't find print server?

Can't find print server?

Kenny

Trying to install an Edimax USB print server to a home wireless network but
I get as far as this message.

"Print Server List
Choose Print Server
If the Print Server is installed for the first time the "Print Server Name"
is the last 6 digits of MAC ID of the Print Server with a "PS" prefix".

Problem is there's nothing in the list, it can't find the print server!
Have double checked connections and cables, the "Ready" and "Lan" LED's on
it are lit, tried different ethernet cable and different port on router.
I also tried manually assigning an IP adding the MAC ID of the PS in the
router configuration.
Using a 3Com wireless modem/router, Win XP/SP2.
Any suggestions appreciated.

--
Kenny Cargill

x@y

> Trying to install an Edimax USB print server to a home wireless network but
> I get as far as this message.
>
> "Print Server List
> Choose Print Server
> If the Print Server is installed for the first time the "Print Server Name"
> is the last 6 digits of MAC ID of the Print Server with a "PS" prefix".
>
> Problem is there's nothing in the list, it can't find the print server!
> Have double checked connections and cables, the "Ready" and "Lan" LED's on
> it are lit, tried different ethernet cable and different port on router.
> I also tried manually assigning an IP adding the MAC ID of the PS in the
> router configuration.
> Using a 3Com wireless modem/router, Win XP/SP2.
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> --
> Kenny Cargill

Try here: http://tinyurl.com/ymuzys

Mr. Arnold

Kenny wrote:
> Trying to install an Edimax USB print server to a home wireless network but
> I get as far as this message.
>
> "Print Server List
> Choose Print Server
> If the Print Server is installed for the first time the "Print Server Name"
> is the last 6 digits of MAC ID of the Print Server with a "PS" prefix".

> Problem is there's nothing in the list, it can't find the print server!

Why would it be in any list? You have to manually assign it. I got to
tell you, when I first got my print server, it was a nightmare to
install. The XP O/S couldn't find it.

The first one was defective as determined by tech support, all lights
looked to be for go, and I returned it and got the same kind again. The
second one looked to be working, but still the XP O/S couldn't find it.
After reading the little manual a couple times, the thing couldn't be
found, based on the instructions in the manual.

I had to come back home on my lunch hour and called the manufacturer's
tech support and got things working by talking to them on the phone. You
wouldn't think it would be that hard to install, but it was just that.

Kenny

Thanks for the replies, eventually got it working. Although I have XP
firewall turned off and believed I had the correct permissions set in Zone
Alarm this is still what the problem was, ZA was blocking it.
Disabled ZA, uninstalled and re-installed the PS utilities, manually
assigning an IP address there, went through Add Printer in Windows,
restarted ZA and all's well now.

--
Kenny Cargill
"Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote in message
news:CM%lh.6002$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Kenny wrote:
>> Trying to install an Edimax USB print server to a home wireless network
>> but
>> I get as far as this message.
>>
>> "Print Server List
>> Choose Print Server
>> If the Print Server is installed for the first time the "Print Server
>> Name"
>> is the last 6 digits of MAC ID of the Print Server with a "PS" prefix".

>> Problem is there's nothing in the list, it can't find the print server!

> Why would it be in any list? You have to manually assign it. I got to tell
> you, when I first got my print server, it was a nightmare to install. The
> XP O/S couldn't find it.
>
> The first one was defective as determined by tech support, all lights
> looked to be for go, and I returned it and got the same kind again. The
> second one looked to be working, but still the XP O/S couldn't find it.
> After reading the little manual a couple times, the thing couldn't be
> found, based on the instructions in the manual.
>
> I had to come back home on my lunch hour and called the manufacturer's
> tech support and got things working by talking to them on the phone. You
> wouldn't think it would be that hard to install, but it was just that.

x@y

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the replies, eventually got it working. Although I have XP
> firewall turned off and believed I had the correct permissions set in Zone
> Alarm this is still what the problem was, ZA was blocking it.
> Disabled ZA, uninstalled and re-installed the PS utilities, manually assigning
> an IP address there, went through Add Printer in Windows, restarted ZA and
> all's well now.

Thanks for Posting back the Solution.
My Spy Sweeper was preventing me to download
Marine Aquarium Screen Saver, after a few emails
to the Product Support the problem was cleared.

x@y