Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > installing a new hard drive

installing a new hard drive

Michael Branchfield

I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im
running xp

Walter Mautner

Michael Branchfield wrote:

> I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free)
> other than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot.
> im running xp

If you want to exchange the drives and copy your files _and_ the operating
system, you need drive/partition imaging. A free disk cloning tool is
gpartd livecd (Google where you can download it, and what to do with it).

Alan

Walter Mautner wrote:
> Michael Branchfield wrote:
>
>> I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free)
>> other than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot.
>> im running xp

> If you want to exchange the drives and copy your files _and_ the operating
> system, you need drive/partition imaging. A free disk cloning tool is
> gpartd livecd (Google where you can download it, and what to do with it).

Some retail-boxed hard drives include the necessary software.

why?

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:28:35 GMT, Michael Branchfield wrote:

>I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
>than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im
>running xp

That's the drive with the OS on it or just data? Mind you in any case
you simply want to clone (image) the disk.

1 free, is a bootable LiveCD of gparted
copy / move notes with screenshots.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/move/move.htm

I seem to recall Ranish Partition Manager did cloning as well.

Non free options, Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, Paragon Drive Backup.

Maxtor and other drive manufacturer's usually have software with the
drive or as downloads from thier sites.

Me

Walter Mautner

Alan wrote:

> Some retail-boxed hard drives include the necessary software.

Hmmm. At least here in Europe, harddrives are sold in antistatic bags and
that's all you get ... the drive overlay software is a thing of the past,
with XP and linux, and for imaging you can buy Ghost or use a free one (and
guess, ghost/drive image bootcds are easy to "image" as well).

Happy New Year

David Matthew Wood

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Alan wrote:

> > Some retail-boxed hard drives include the necessary software.

> Hmmm. At least here in Europe, harddrives are sold in antistatic bags and
> that's all you get ... the drive overlay software is a thing of the past,
> with XP and linux, and for imaging you can buy Ghost or use a free one (and
> guess, ghost/drive image bootcds are easy to "image" as well).
>
> Happy New Year

Drive manufactures still make this software available for download
though.

PeeCee

"Michael Branchfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsEJlh.1114288$084.319988@attbi_s22...
>I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free)
>other than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot.
>im running xp

Michael

Go to the new drives manufacturers website and download their free tools
software.
I have done a few Seagates recently and found their Seatools the simplest
way to image to a new drive.
Just "read the instructions" and you will be ok.

Best
Paul.

Fred Kasner

why? wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:28:35 GMT, Michael Branchfield wrote:
>
>> I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
>> than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im
>> running xp

> That's the drive with the OS on it or just data? Mind you in any case
> you simply want to clone (image) the disk.
>
> 1 free, is a bootable LiveCD of gparted
> copy / move notes with screenshots.
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/move/move.htm
>
> I seem to recall Ranish Partition Manager did cloning as well.
>
> Non free options, Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, Paragon Drive Backup.
>
> Maxtor and other drive manufacturer's usually have software with the
> drive or as downloads from thier sites.
>
> Me

It would be best to use a program such as Ghost or TrueImage (I prefer
the latter). What you do is do an "image" without compression. That
would make a true copy of the old HD. In addition you would have a
backup program (certainly everyone should have and use one) for future
safety.
FK

Star@*.*

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
>than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im
>running xp

Acronis at www.acronis.com has a trial version of TrueImage or
Easy Migrate. Either one will allow the complete cloning of one
HDD to another.
I would get TrueImage as it has more features. Use it to do the
clone and then try some of its other features maby you could
use the ability to make backups to your old HDD.

why?

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 23:58:44 GMT, Fred Kasner wrote:

>why? wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:28:35 GMT, Michael Branchfield wrote:
>>
>>> I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
>>> than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im

<snip free apps>

>> Non free options, Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, Paragon Drive Backup.
>>
>> Maxtor and other drive manufacturer's usually have software with the
>> drive or as downloads from thier sites.
>>
>> Me

>It would be best to use a program such as Ghost or TrueImage (I prefer
>the latter). What you do is do an "image" without compression. That
>would make a true copy of the old HD. In addition you would have a
>backup program (certainly everyone should have and use one) for future
>safety.
>FK

Why tell me? I just mentioned both those apps to the OP.

Me