Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ipconfig/release

Reply
Thread Tools

ipconfig/release

 
 
Daave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2006
joevan wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> joevan wrote:
>>> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
>>> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
>>> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not
>>> via IE. Neither can I connect to email.
>>> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
>>> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it
>>> for online or not.

>>
>> Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you
>> got the machine?
>>
>> What happens when you use another browser?
>>
>> Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
>> known to hose IE.

> Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
> ipconfig /all I saw that-
> iprouting not enabled,
> and wins proxy not enabled.
> This is probably the problem.


As why? stated, it's probably not the problem.

What program do you use for e-mail. How is it configured?

I would still try another browser -- if only to rule things out.

Do you have DSL or dial-up? If DSL, do you have a static or dynamic IP,
and how do you have your TCP/IP Properties configured?

And again, is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way
since you got the machine?

--
Dave


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
joevan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2006
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:01:47 -0500, "Daave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> joevan wrote:
>>>> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
>>>> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
>>>> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not
>>>> via IE. Neither can I connect to email.
>>>> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
>>>> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it
>>>> for online or not.
>>>
>>> Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you
>>> got the machine?
>>>
>>> What happens when you use another browser?
>>>
>>> Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
>>> known to hose IE.

>> Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
>> ipconfig /all I saw that-
>> iprouting not enabled,
>> and wins proxy not enabled.
>> This is probably the problem.

>
>As why? stated, it's probably not the problem.
>
>What program do you use for e-mail. How is it configured?
>
>I would still try another browser -- if only to rule things out.
>
>Do you have DSL or dial-up? If DSL, do you have a static or dynamic IP,
>and how do you have your TCP/IP Properties configured?
>
>And again, is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way
>since you got the machine?

Ok, I tried the diagnostics and all it said was what I already knew.
Mail and IE failed.
Ha, I got it. All ok now. Thanks for all the help but I am a bit
annoyed at the great indian so called verizon, help from Bangledesh or
whatever.
It seems to have been a simple setting in my verizon dialer for the
dsl.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mr. Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2006
joevan wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>joevan wrote:
>>
>>>I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
>>>daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
>>>I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
>>>IE. Neither can I connect to email.
>>>Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
>>>I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
>>>online or not.

>>
>>Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you got
>>the machine?
>>
>>What happens when you use another browser?
>>
>>Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
>>known to hose IE.

>
> Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
> ipconfig /all I saw that-
> iprouting not enabled,
> and wins proxy not enabled.
> This is probably the problem.
> How do I enable them?
> I checked this machine which obviously works and they are of course
> enabled on it.


You do it by resetting the TCP/IP Stack on the Windows O/S, which resets
wins and a whole lot of other things, dealing with TCP/IP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/299357

For all you know, malware can be on the machine that has knocked out the
Stack and is preventing the machine from accessing the Internet, which
there are utilities other than the above MS solution that you may want
to use to correct the problem with TCP/IP. Google is you friend.

Most likely by doing IPconfig /all, it came back with the
169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP, which is a timeout indication that the machine
couldn't get a DHCP IP from a DHCP server on the network, or no IP
period can obtained and the machine has got no connection to the
Internet, in either case.

 
Reply With Quote
 
pcbutts1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2006
Do the reset that Duane (Mr Arnold) suggested.

--

Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
The list grows. Leythos the stalker,David H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka
What's in a Name?,Fitz,Rhonda Lea Kirk,Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell



"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:01:47 -0500, "Daave"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>joevan wrote:
>>> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> joevan wrote:
>>>>> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
>>>>> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
>>>>> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not
>>>>> via IE. Neither can I connect to email.
>>>>> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
>>>>> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it
>>>>> for online or not.
>>>>
>>>> Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you
>>>> got the machine?
>>>>
>>>> What happens when you use another browser?
>>>>
>>>> Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
>>>> known to hose IE.
>>> Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
>>> ipconfig /all I saw that-
>>> iprouting not enabled,
>>> and wins proxy not enabled.
>>> This is probably the problem.

>>
>>As why? stated, it's probably not the problem.
>>
>>What program do you use for e-mail. How is it configured?
>>
>>I would still try another browser -- if only to rule things out.
>>
>>Do you have DSL or dial-up? If DSL, do you have a static or dynamic IP,
>>and how do you have your TCP/IP Properties configured?
>>
>>And again, is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way
>>since you got the machine?

> Ok, I tried the diagnostics and all it said was what I already knew.
> Mail and IE failed.
> Ha, I got it. All ok now. Thanks for all the help but I am a bit
> annoyed at the great indian so called verizon, help from Bangledesh or
> whatever.
> It seems to have been a simple setting in my verizon dialer for the
> dsl.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Leythos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, pcbutts1
@leythosthestalker.com says...
> Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
> The list grows. Leythos the stalker,David H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka
> What's in a Name?,Fitz,Rhonda Lea Kirk,Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell


PCBUTTS1 how are you going to address the Pornographic content on a site
that you claim is to help people?

Do you really want people to trust you with Pornography on your
website:

http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/pervert.htm

http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/license.htm

http://www.leythosthestalker.com

Who is going to trust someone like you when you host FOUL content on
your help site?

--

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pinto Alegre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2006
yes, and I am denying you...

"Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote in message
news:v5Flh.8931$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> doS wrote:
>> because the browser could be hosed, idiot

>
> Denial of **** are you sitting in fornt of that machine?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr. Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2006
Pinto Alegre wrote:
> yes, and I am denying you...
>

touchy
 
Reply With Quote
 
Top
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2007
joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):


> Ha, I got it. All ok now. Thanks for all the help but I am a
> bit annoyed at the great indian so called verizon, help from
> Bangledesh or whatever.
> It seems to have been a simple setting in my verizon dialer
> for the dsl.


Could you tell us what you did to fix it just in case either
wee have the same problem or someone comes along, like you
have, and needs helps.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Top


--
There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a
miracle or
you can live as if everything is a miracle.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Top
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2007
joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):


> Ha, I got it. All ok now. Thanks for all the help but I am a
> bit annoyed at the great indian so called verizon, help from
> Bangledesh or whatever.
> It seems to have been a simple setting in my verizon dialer
> for the dsl.


Could you tell us what you did to fix it just in case either
wee have the same problem or someone comes along, like you
have, and needs helps.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Top


--
There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a
miracle or
you can live as if everything is a miracle.


 
Reply With Quote
 
joevan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2007
On 02 Jan 2007 03:11:17 GMT, Top <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>
>> Ha, I got it. All ok now. Thanks for all the help but I am a
>> bit annoyed at the great indian so called verizon, help from
>> Bangledesh or whatever.
>> It seems to have been a simple setting in my verizon dialer
>> for the dsl.

>
>Could you tell us what you did to fix it just in case either
>wee have the same problem or someone comes along, like you
>have, and needs helps.
>
>Thanks and Happy New Year!
>Top

Maybe as someone said it was a combination of different things but I
can't be sure. I just feel that the Verizon help from India is nothing
more than reading from a script and hearing them say ibconfig is a
bit unsettling, when I fingure it is actually ipconfig.
I think you best bet is to check here for help as the written word is
so much better in most cases than the spoken dialect, whatever it may
be.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments