Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to remove XP Media and do a clean install of XP Pro?

How to remove XP Media and do a clean install of XP Pro?

MegaC

Greetings all,

I recently purchased a new laptop (Gateway 2.0 Gz with AMD Turion
Processor). The problem is this new laptop comes preinstalled with Win
XP Media Center Edition + all this extra crap from the vendor (trials,
etc.).

How do I remove this OS and do a clean install of Win XP Pro? Not as
simple as putting the CD in and rebooting! Here is my dilemma. I
set the BIOS so that the CD-ROM boots first, but when I put the Win XP
disk in and reboot, the laptop ignores the cd-rom and boots normally
into XP Media Centre. Furthermore, being it is a laptop, there is no
floppy drive, so I cannot insert the 6 XP Pro setup disks (as I used to
do on my PC to reinstall XP).

I cannot think of any other way to do this. Can anyone offer me any
advice?

Thanks,
Derek

Vanguard

"MegaC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Greetings all,
>
> I recently purchased a new laptop (Gateway 2.0 Gz with AMD Turion
> Processor). The problem is this new laptop comes preinstalled with
> Win
> XP Media Center Edition + all this extra crap from the vendor (trials,
> etc.).
>
> How do I remove this OS and do a clean install of Win XP Pro? Not as
> simple as putting the CD in and rebooting! Here is my dilemma. I
> set the BIOS so that the CD-ROM boots first, but when I put the Win XP
> disk in and reboot, the laptop ignores the cd-rom and boots normally
> into XP Media Centre. Furthermore, being it is a laptop, there is no
> floppy drive, so I cannot insert the 6 XP Pro setup disks (as I used
> do on my PC to reinstall XP).

Your laptop is broken or has been purposely designed not to boot from
CD. If your CD cannot be used as a boot device, you won't be able to
ever install an OS of your own choosing.

The hardware description of your laptop does not actually describe WHAT
you are using. Give model number, something to let others really know
what you are using. The CPU spec is meaningless to identify a
particular make and model, like saying the perpetrator was wearing
20-inch shoelaces in their shoes.

It is very likely that you don't have a legit copy of Windows to install
other than the license that came with the laptop. The laptop probably
came with a "restore" CD that merely has a disk image that it will use
to overwrite the partition of the hard drive to restore back to the
factory-installed setup - and that includes all the crap that you want
to get rid of.

So what did Gateway say when you called them on why you cannot boot from
the CD drive? After all, you did say you bought a *new* Gateway laptop
so why aren't you asking THEIR support for help?

Chris Fishwick

"MegaC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Greetings all,
>
> I recently purchased a new laptop (Gateway 2.0 Gz with AMD Turion
> Processor). The problem is this new laptop comes preinstalled with Win
> XP Media Center Edition + all this extra crap from the vendor (trials,
> etc.).
>
> How do I remove this OS and do a clean install of Win XP Pro? Not as
> simple as putting the CD in and rebooting! Here is my dilemma. I
> set the BIOS so that the CD-ROM boots first, but when I put the Win XP
> disk in and reboot, the laptop ignores the cd-rom and boots normally
> into XP Media Centre.

Probably you may have use a key to allow laptop to boot from a CD. Such as
F4, F12 or other key. Have look at the manual that came with the machine.

CRF