Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook Express 6 question

Outlook Express 6 question

bb

I have had one email address for a long time; now my husband would like to
add his own email address and identity. My question is how is the best way
to set this up as far as where do I put the folder? Can I still keep any
privacy for my own email or is the whole folder and email thing open at the
same time for both of us? I have set him up a folder, but it's indented
underneath the Inbox for my mail. That doesn't seem right to me, so if I
could get some expert advice and counseling on how to best set this up, I'd
appreciate it. I am entitled to 8 addresses and just trying to set up a
second one is making me crazy.
barbara

Rick Merrill

bb wrote:
> I have had one email address for a long time; now my husband would like to
> add his own email address and identity.

Sure he would

> My question is how is the best way
> to set this up as far as where do I put the folder? Can I still keep any
> privacy for my own email or is the whole folder and email thing open at the
> same time for both of us? I have set him up a folder, but it's indented
> underneath the Inbox for my mail. That doesn't seem right to me, so if I
> could get some expert advice and counseling on how to best set this up, I'd
> appreciate it. I am entitled to 8 addresses and just trying to set up a
> second one is making me crazy.
> barbara

How to do it depends on who you use for ISP (internet service provider).

Most providers allow a customer to have multiple 'users', each with
their own holding area and individual password.

philo

"bb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2ozlh.5321$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I have had one email address for a long time; now my husband would like to
> add his own email address and identity. My question is how is the best

way
> to set this up as far as where do I put the folder? Can I still keep any
> privacy for my own email or is the whole folder and email thing open at

the
> same time for both of us? I have set him up a folder, but it's indented
> underneath the Inbox for my mail. That doesn't seem right to me, so if I
> could get some expert advice and counseling on how to best set this up,

I'd
> appreciate it. I am entitled to 8 addresses and just trying to set up a
> second one is making me crazy.
> barbara

It depends on your operating system.

If you use XP or Win2k you can set up seperate ...password protected
prifiles

With win98, though different profiles can be setup...
there would be no real privacy

Mike Easter

bb wrote:
> I have had one email address for a long time; now my husband would
> like to add his own email address and identity. My question is how
> is the best way to set this up as far as where do I put the folder?
> Can I still keep any privacy for my own email or is the whole folder
> and email thing open at the same time for both of us? I have set him
> up a folder, but it's indented underneath the Inbox for my mail.
> That doesn't seem right to me, so if I could get some expert advice
> and counseling on how to best set this up, I'd appreciate it. I am
> entitled to 8 addresses and just trying to set up a second one is
> making me crazy.

At the very least you should have separate identities in OE.

OE/ File/ Identities - manage identies or add identity

An/Each identity can be passworded. There are some advantages to having
each person have an identity not the Main Identity. That is, the
default is that you are the Main Identity. Then he would be another
different new added identity. But, you might should be another
different added identity than the Main identity. That's a complicated
subject that is going to confuse right now.

The business about the mail accounts and password at the provider is
another issue; some providers prefer to structure everything under a
Master account which has some different responsibilities than the
subaccounts.

Another and completely different strategy in terms of two users using
the same computer is the business about having different users at the
operating system level -- where one user logs off and another user logs
on with a completely different desktop configuration. That strategy has
some advantages. There are also advantages to the two different users
having two completely different partitions or harddrives on the same
machine, so that each user can have whatever level of privacy and
whatever operating system they like.

--
Mike Easter

bb

Thanks for that good explanation. I use Win XP with earthlink. I think
I'll just tell him to use hotmail or yahoo so he won't have to open OE and
wade through my messages or sign in separately. I did add him as an extra
identity and it still opened w/ my email which is labeled the Main Identity.
Thanks again.

news:4596c949$0$97248$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> bb wrote:
>> I have had one email address for a long time; now my husband would
>> like to add his own email address and identity. My question is how
>> is the best way to set this up as far as where do I put the folder?
>> Can I still keep any privacy for my own email or is the whole folder
>> and email thing open at the same time for both of us? I have set him
>> up a folder, but it's indented underneath the Inbox for my mail.
>> That doesn't seem right to me, so if I could get some expert advice
>> and counseling on how to best set this up, I'd appreciate it. I am
>> entitled to 8 addresses and just trying to set up a second one is
>> making me crazy.

> At the very least you should have separate identities in OE.
>
> OE/ File/ Identities - manage identies or add identity
>
> An/Each identity can be passworded. There are some advantages to having
> each person have an identity not the Main Identity. That is, the
> default is that you are the Main Identity. Then he would be another
> different new added identity. But, you might should be another
> different added identity than the Main identity. That's a complicated
> subject that is going to confuse right now.
>
> The business about the mail accounts and password at the provider is
> another issue; some providers prefer to structure everything under a
> Master account which has some different responsibilities than the
> subaccounts.
>
> Another and completely different strategy in terms of two users using
> the same computer is the business about having different users at the
> operating system level -- where one user logs off and another user logs
> on with a completely different desktop configuration. That strategy has
> some advantages. There are also advantages to the two different users
> having two completely different partitions or harddrives on the same
> machine, so that each user can have whatever level of privacy and
> whatever operating system they like.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

bb wrote:
> Thanks for that good explanation. I use Win XP with earthlink. I
> think I'll just tell him to use hotmail or yahoo so he won't have to
> open OE and wade through my messages or sign in separately.

I wouldn't want someone else in my mail and files. I would rather
someone close use my toothbrush or my checkbook/credit card/ than my
identity.

> I did
> add him as an extra identity and it still opened w/ my email which is
> labeled the Main Identity.

Which identity OE opens with depends on which identity was working it
when OE closed, and it is also configurable to open to a particular
identity depending on circumstances. See OE/ Help/ index - identities.
Also see the configuration options in manage identities.

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mike Easter wrote:

> bb wrote:
>> Thanks for that good explanation. I use Win XP with earthlink. I
>> think I'll just tell him to use hotmail or yahoo so he won't have to
>> open OE and wade through my messages or sign in separately.

> I wouldn't want someone else in my mail and files. I would rather
> someone close use my toothbrush or my checkbook/credit card/ than my
> identity.
>
>> I did add him as an extra identity and it still opened w/ my email
>> which is labeled the Main Identity.

> Which identity OE opens with depends on which identity was working it
> when OE closed, and it is also configurable to open to a particular
> identity depending on circumstances. See OE/ Help/ index -
> identities. Also see the configuration options in manage identities.

An answer for this could be to get a second, separate, email client for
the other person. Realize of course, that when two people use the same
computer, there is no real privacy. Barbara uses Outhouse Express and
the hubby uses Thunderbird.

http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

--
-bts

eager

"bb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E9Blh.5369$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Thanks for that good explanation. I use Win XP with earthlink. I think
> I'll just tell him to use hotmail or yahoo so he won't have to open OE and
> wade through my messages or sign in separately. I did add him as an extra
> identity and it still opened w/ my email which is labeled the Main

Identity.
> Thanks again.

I like the idea of different user accounts -
However, in your case you might try this:

Under tools- accounts- properties - servers - do not save the password
This way, each time you open OE, it will prompt you for a password in order
to download new messages.
The draw back is that you have to take care of the old messages