Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problems With IDE / DVD Burner

Problems With IDE / DVD Burner

pyrosarco@gmail.com

Alright,

Lately I have been having problems with my DVD +/- RW drive. One, it
does not want to read anything that I put into it with out me going
into My Computer and clicking on the D: drive. It will then read it,
but isn't it supposed to pop a menu or something?

Two, it won't burn DVDs or CDs at all any more. I will start a burn
process and it will go through the motions but it wont burn. The disk
doesn't appear to be spinning while I am burning...

Three, I wiped my computer and reinstalled Windows XP to see if that
would change anything because the drive used to work. For the past 2
weeks it hasn't. I have both Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 and Nero 7 Ultra
Edition and neither will successfully burn a disk.

Four, I was messing around in Device Manager to see if I could update a
driver for it, but it says it has the latest windows driver. Short of
pulling the damn thing out of my machine, I cannot tell you what it is.
I did however try and disconnect the IDE cable and return it, to no
success in how it worked.

Five, I am still in device manager under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'
and I notice that I have 3 Primary IDE Channels, 3 Secondary IDE
Channels, and 3 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers. What is
that? I only have one HDD connected and my DVD drive. I did a quick
search in google and all I found was a dead link to an nVidia site that
mentioned these three channels.

Could someone help me? I am willing to provide further information.

Thanks,

beenthere

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Alright,
>
> Lately I have been having problems with my DVD +/- RW drive. One, it
> does not want to read anything that I put into it with out me going
> into My Computer and clicking on the D: drive. It will then read it,
> but isn't it supposed to pop a menu or something?
>
> Two, it won't burn DVDs or CDs at all any more. I will start a burn
> process and it will go through the motions but it wont burn. The disk
> doesn't appear to be spinning while I am burning...
>
> Three, I wiped my computer and reinstalled Windows XP to see if that
> would change anything because the drive used to work. For the past 2
> weeks it hasn't. I have both Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 and Nero 7 Ultra
> Edition and neither will successfully burn a disk.
>
> Four, I was messing around in Device Manager to see if I could update a
> driver for it, but it says it has the latest windows driver. Short of
> pulling the damn thing out of my machine, I cannot tell you what it is.
> I did however try and disconnect the IDE cable and return it, to no
> success in how it worked.
>
> Five, I am still in device manager under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'
> and I notice that I have 3 Primary IDE Channels, 3 Secondary IDE
> Channels, and 3 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers. What is
> that? I only have one HDD connected and my DVD drive. I did a quick
> search in google and all I found was a dead link to an nVidia site that
> mentioned these three channels.
>
> Could someone help me? I am willing to provide further information.

You Can`t and Shouldn`t try to use Roxio and Nero on the
same machine, `cos they tend to conflict with each other.

So uninstall both, then re-install one (perhaps Nero).

bw..OJ

pyrosarco@gmail.com

Nero and Roxio never had problems before when I was burning with both
of them. It' s definitely more of a hardware issue than a software one.

Meat Plow

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 07:11:51 -0800, pyrosarco Has Frothed:

> Nero and Roxio never had problems before when I was burning with both
> of them. It' s definitely more of a hardware issue than a software one.

Replace the drive which you should have done in the first place before
jumping thru all those hoops.

COOSN-266-06-25794