Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mpeg Shrinker

Mpeg Shrinker

Michael Dodsworth

Hi all,
I have a 1.2 Gb mpeg file on my pc and would like to resize it to preferably
below 1Gb so i can fit it onto a memory card. The file its self is an aprox
2hr long movie and i need to keep it in the mpeg file for purposes of seeing
if its possible to get it to play on my mobile phone.
I was wondering if anybody has any good suggestions for free programmes for
shrinking the file size of mpegs and would be grateful for any help in this
matter.
OS is Win XP Home SP2

Thanks in Advance
Mike

thanatoid

"Michael Dodsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:slklh.28479$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all,
> I have a 1.2 Gb mpeg file on my pc and would like to resize
> it to preferably below 1Gb so i can fit it onto a memory
> card. The file its self is an aprox 2hr long movie and i
> need to keep it in the mpeg file for purposes of seeing if
> its possible to get it to play on my mobile phone. I was
> wondering if anybody has any good suggestions for free
> programmes for shrinking the file size of mpegs and would
> be grateful for any help in this matter.
> OS is Win XP Home SP2
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Mike

There is a variety of video converters and encoders, some of the
latest ones (vidX, Xvid etc.) achieve exceptional quality with
very high compression. Of course, you have to have the right
codecs etc. installed, and do some tests and calculations.

Google, I have no specific suggestions, there's just too much
out there and everyone has a different favorite. You might want
to read some posts in video groups also, or maybe even ask
there.

Michael Dodsworth

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Michael Dodsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in news:slklh.28479$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hi all,
>> I have a 1.2 Gb mpeg file on my pc and would like to resize
>> it to preferably below 1Gb so i can fit it onto a memory
>> card. The file its self is an aprox 2hr long movie and i
>> need to keep it in the mpeg file for purposes of seeing if
>> its possible to get it to play on my mobile phone. I was
>> wondering if anybody has any good suggestions for free
>> programmes for shrinking the file size of mpegs and would
>> be grateful for any help in this matter.
>> OS is Win XP Home SP2
>>
>> Thanks in Advance
>> Mike

> There is a variety of video converters and encoders, some of the
> latest ones (vidX, Xvid etc.) achieve exceptional quality with
> very high compression. Of course, you have to have the right
> codecs etc. installed, and do some tests and calculations.
>
> Google, I have no specific suggestions, there's just too much
> out there and everyone has a different favorite. You might want
> to read some posts in video groups also, or maybe even ask
> there.
>

> --
> Disagreements and the usual insults expected and welcomed.

Cheers for the reply, I will have a look at the ones suggested and will take
a look in the video groups.
Mike

seymour

i use windows movie maker
you can reduce 1.2gb by at least 50% and it is still very watchable

news:soslh.4088$(E-Mail Removed)...