Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > A Real Problem for the Tech's!

A Real Problem for the Tech's!

David

I have a problem with a mandatory user profile.

We are using scripting technologies to deploy printers on the network. We
can specify whether these are the "default" printer or not. If a computer
has a local printer and a network printer that is not set as default, the
local printer should be used as default. This works fine on our old
mandatory profile and for anybody using a local profile. Users using our
new profile always get a networked printer as default though (even if this
is not specified in the script).
This will happen for all computers with local printers that also have
network printers - The network printer is always default - even when this
isn't specified!
It appears that some setting in the mandatory profile is causing this.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Politician Spock

What's different between the old and new mandatory profiles?

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

news:3fe09b7e$0$28697$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I have a problem with a mandatory user profile.
>
> We are using scripting technologies to deploy printers on the network. We
> can specify whether these are the "default" printer or not. If a computer
> has a local printer and a network printer that is not set as default, the
> local printer should be used as default. This works fine on our old
> mandatory profile and for anybody using a local profile. Users using our
> new profile always get a networked printer as default though (even if this
> is not specified in the script).
> This will happen for all computers with local printers that also have
> network printers - The network printer is always default - even when this
> isn't specified!
> It appears that some setting in the mandatory profile is causing this.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions?

Marlin Munrow

Copy the mandatory profile to a new location and rename ntuser.man to
ntuser.dat and point an admin user at the profile.

Fix it and reverse your steps

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:07:57 -0000, "David"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a problem with a mandatory user profile.
>
>We are using scripting technologies to deploy printers on the network. We
>can specify whether these are the "default" printer or not. If a computer
>has a local printer and a network printer that is not set as default, the
>local printer should be used as default. This works fine on our old
>mandatory profile and for anybody using a local profile. Users using our
>new profile always get a networked printer as default though (even if this
>is not specified in the script).
>This will happen for all computers with local printers that also have
>network printers - The network printer is always default - even when this
>isn't specified!
>It appears that some setting in the mandatory profile is causing this.
>
>Does anybody have any suggestions?

David

The new profile has several fixes to allow some software to run properly on
the network. I don't want to re-build the profile from scratch as it was
quite time consuming to apply all the software fixes to the profile.

Thanks for the quick response.

"Marlin Munrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Copy the mandatory profile to a new location and rename ntuser.man to
> ntuser.dat and point an admin user at the profile.
>
> Fix it and reverse your steps
>

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:07:57 -0000, "David"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have a problem with a mandatory user profile.
> >
> >We are using scripting technologies to deploy printers on the network.

We
> >can specify whether these are the "default" printer or not. If a

computer
> >has a local printer and a network printer that is not set as default, the
> >local printer should be used as default. This works fine on our old
> >mandatory profile and for anybody using a local profile. Users using our
> >new profile always get a networked printer as default though (even if

this
> >is not specified in the script).
> >This will happen for all computers with local printers that also have
> >network printers - The network printer is always default - even when this
> >isn't specified!
> >It appears that some setting in the mandatory profile is causing this.
> >
> >Does anybody have any suggestions?

Laura A. Robinson [MVP]

In article <3fe09b7e$0$28697$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I have a problem with a mandatory user profile.
>
> We are using scripting technologies to deploy printers on the network. We
> can specify whether these are the "default" printer or not. If a computer
> has a local printer and a network printer that is not set as default, the
> local printer should be used as default. This works fine on our old
> mandatory profile and for anybody using a local profile. Users using our
> new profile always get a networked printer as default though (even if this
> is not specified in the script).
> This will happen for all computers with local printers that also have
> network printers - The network printer is always default - even when this
> isn't specified!
> It appears that some setting in the mandatory profile is causing this.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions?

In the mandatory profile, are printers installed?

Laura

David

No - I deleted any printers before I uploaded the profile.

news:(E-Mail Removed).. .