Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ip address id

ip address id

Wayne Heigl

is there a way to know whose computer an ip address is registered to? I
have a site tracker, and would like to know who belongs to certain ip
addresses.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Try here http://www.dnsstuff.com/

--
HD DVD Encryption Hacked!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_oZGYb92isE

Mike Easter

Wayne Heigl wrote:

> is there a way to know whose computer an ip address is registered to?

Not without a legal and timely warrant served on the connectivity
provider, and even then the trail may be broken.

> I have a site tracker, and would like to know who belongs to certain
> ip addresses.

For almost any value of 'who', that's not likely to happen. You are not
likely to translate an IP into a meatspace identity without some
identity sleuthing skills and some luck by the sleuth.

You can 'translate' an IP address into the provider registered in the
regional internet registry, of which there are 5 for the planet, arin,
ripe, apnic, lacnic, & afrinic. If an IP has an rDNS, you can translate
the IP into a name based on the PTR for the in-addr.arpa lookup.

Those IPs which are dialup are very dynamic, so the IP address of a
computer can change with every access. The dynamics of variability vary
with the connectivity, say DSL vs cable; or they may be static and
assigned.

An IP address accessing your site may not belong to the accessor, but
may be borrowed or serving as a proxy for purposes of anonymity for the
accessor so as to deter the efforts of the identity sleuth.

--
Mike Easter

Evan Platt

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 01:02:16 -0600, "Wayne Heigl" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>is there a way to know whose computer an ip address is registered to? I
>have a site tracker, and would like to know who belongs to certain ip
>addresses.

No. For the most part, a IP isn't registered to a computer. It's
registered to a ISP (Internet Service Provider), and for the most
part, people have dynamic IP's which mean once I disconnect from the
internet (turn off my computer) or even every (X) hours, I'll get a
new IP address and someone else will get my old IP address.