Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC does not start and does not turn off

PC does not start and does not turn off

sean

Hi,
My PC stopped working. I turn the power on but the screen remains
blank. The PC does NOT do any bleeps (like the ones that occur when
there is a problem with the graphics card or memory) and I don't think
that it does the memory count. I removed all the components and put
them back together and it still does not work. Also when I try to turn
it off with the power on/off button it does not turn off. I have to
unplug it. I can start it with the power button but I cannot turn it
off.
Do you have any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
Thanks

Mr User

sean wrote:
> Hi,
> My PC stopped working. I turn the power on but the screen remains
> blank. The PC does NOT do any bleeps (like the ones that occur when
> there is a problem with the graphics card or memory) and I don't think
> that it does the memory count. I removed all the components and put
> them back together and it still does not work. Also when I try to turn
> it off with the power on/off button it does not turn off. I have to
> unplug it. I can start it with the power button but I cannot turn it
> off.

1. Does the monitor work? Have you tested it on another system?
2. Does the PSU fan spin with power on?
3. Does CPU fan spin with power on?

You should be able to see the BIOS post screen if not then I'd check
both the monitor and video card first.
The power button should be the last of your priorities if you know the
PC *is* actually powering up.

Barry OGrady

On 27 Dec 2006 03:22:07 -0800, "sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>My PC stopped working. I turn the power on but the screen remains
>blank. The PC does NOT do any bleeps (like the ones that occur when
>there is a problem with the graphics card or memory) and I don't think
>that it does the memory count. I removed all the components and put
>them back together and it still does not work. Also when I try to turn
>it off with the power on/off button it does not turn off. I have to
>unplug it. I can start it with the power button but I cannot turn it
>off.
>Do you have any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
>Thanks

It sounds broken. Could be the power supply.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

sean

I have tested this PC with another monitor and I am still getting the
same problem. If it was the video card shouldn't I hear bleeping sounds
when I switch the PC on? The CPU fan does spin with the power on. My
guess is the power supply? Do you agree?

/ Mr User :