Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > SM Bus Controller

SM Bus Controller

JF

I am trying to put together a pc using the following motherboard ASROCK
ALiveNF64-DVI .This MB seems to be heavily dependant on Nvidia. When I
installed windows xp everything was fine, when I ran the motherboard driver
disc. I chose the all in one driver but when I restarted I got the following
message.
IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL. After a google I found that this could be the onboard
sound, so I disabled that and still nothing. I reformatted and installed all
the items with exclamation marks individually and have isolated the SM Bus
Controller as the offender. When installed, the same BSOD appears with the
same message. The computer seems to be running fine now. what will happen if
I never install this driver? What is the SM bus controller and what does it
do. Anyone had a similar problem or know a fix for this?

Merry Xmas
JF

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to put together a pc using the following motherboard ASROCK
>ALiveNF64-DVI .This MB seems to be heavily dependant on Nvidia. When I
>installed windows xp everything was fine, when I ran the motherboard driver
>disc. I chose the all in one driver but when I restarted I got the following
>message.
>IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL. After a google I found that this could be the onboard
>sound, so I disabled that and still nothing. I reformatted and installed all
>the items with exclamation marks individually and have isolated the SM Bus
>Controller as the offender. When installed, the same BSOD appears with the
>same message. The computer seems to be running fine now. what will happen if
>I never install this driver? What is the SM bus controller and what does it
>do. Anyone had a similar problem or know a fix for this?
>
>Merry Xmas
>JF

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._20966120.html
(you can only get to this page once - with cookies enabled)

--
http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

JANA

Go to the link below, and read the instructions. You have to install a
driver that is for your mother board. At the link below a simple description
is given.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-013541.htm

--

JANA
_____

"JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8JHjh.23342$(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

"JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go to the link below, and read the instructions. You have to install a
> driver that is for your mother board. At the link below a simple
> description
> is given.
>
> http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-013541.htm
>
> --
>
> JANA
> _____

Thanks but it's an AMD based board

Mr User

JF wrote:
> "JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Go to the link below, and read the instructions. You have to install a
>> driver that is for your mother board. At the link below a simple
>> description
>> is given.
>>
>> http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-013541.htm
>> _____

> Thanks but it's an AMD based board

You'll need the chipset drivers normally provided on CD with the MoBo.
http://www.asrock.com/support/index_download.asp
^^ That may help

JF

news:9GRjh.36156$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> _____

>> Thanks but it's an AMD based board

> You'll need the chipset drivers normally provided on CD with the MoBo.
> http://www.asrock.com/support/index_download.asp
> ^^ That may help

I am installing the driver provided with the motherboard

Mr User

JF wrote:
> "Mr User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> You'll need the chipset drivers normally provided on CD with the MoBo.
>> http://www.asrock.com/support/index_download.asp
>> ^^ That may help

> I am installing the driver provided with the motherboard

^ What you mean is you *did* install the driver as in past tense ... yes?
Then let me rephrase .. use the most recent driver i.e. look for an
update. Your system will run fine without this driver installed it's a
South-bridge low speed bus driver.

http://articles.networktechs.com/114-p1.php