Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to print a list of folder contents?

How to print a list of folder contents?

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Start | Run <type in>
> CMD /K dir C:\*.* /s /b > text.txt & notepad text.txt
> <enter>

Very nice, great example - the OP should learn more than just the Dir
from your example.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Frosty

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:03:21 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
sat on Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)>'s chest like a vulture, I said
"Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you can
throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, clause39
>@yahoo.com says...
>> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:47:48 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
>> sat on "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)>'s chest like a vulture, I
>> said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you
>> can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
>>
>> >I'm using Windows XP Professional and would like to be able to print a list
>> >(or a portion of a list) from the My Music folder, but am unable to do
>> >it --- a couple of years ago, I'd downloaded a free program from somewhere
>> >that enabled me to do it, but lost that program. Can anyone suggest a
>> >download? Or maybe even way to do it within Windows XP? Thanks.

>> I got this from here & I'm passin' it back to you:
>>
>> In DOS:
>>
>> dir *.* /s >>yourfiles.txt
>>
>> The (/s) means go down through the directories below the point where
>> the
>> DIR command is being issued. It will list all files in all directories
>> starting from the highest directory and all files in the directory
>> where
>> the DIR was listed.
>>
>> The (>>) means pipe/dump the text display in the file yourfiles.txt,
>> which can also be >>c:\alan\yourfiles.txt.

>Actually, a Single > means overwrite/create the file, >> means to append
>to the file (or create if if it doesn't exist).

You could be right. All I know is it works for me.

>So, Dir c:\*.* /s /b > directorylist.txt
>
>would put a full list of files, with their path, into the
>directorylist.txt file, but it would be a BARE (/b) list that didn't
>contain any file stats (date/size).
>
>Type DIR /? for help on the DIR command.

why?

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:01:58 -0500, Frosty wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:47:48 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
>sat on "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)>'s chest like a vulture, I
>said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you
>can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
>
>>I'm using Windows XP Professional and would like to be able to print a list

<snip>

>I got this from here & I'm passin' it back to you:
>
>In DOS:
>
>dir *.* /s >>yourfiles.txt
>
>The (/s) means go down through the directories below the point where
>the
>DIR command is being issued. It will list all files in all directories
>starting from the highest directory and all files in the directory
>where
>the DIR was listed.
>
>The (>>) means pipe/dump the text display in the file yourfiles.txt,
>which can also be >>c:\alan\yourfiles.txt.

The '>' is a redirection to a file or device, '>>' is redirect and
append, the pipe is | (vertical bar) , taking output from 1 program and
send it to another.

Me

gibberish

"Fred Kasner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sZXlh.56892$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Frosty wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:47:48 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
>> sat on "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)>'s chest like a vulture, I
>> said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you
>> can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
>>
>>> I'm using Windows XP Professional and would like to be able to print a
>>> list (or a portion of a list) from the My Music folder, but am unable to
>>> do it --- a couple of years ago, I'd downloaded a free program from
>>> somewhere that enabled me to do it, but lost that program. Can anyone
>>> suggest a download? Or maybe even way to do it within Windows XP?
>>> Thanks.

>> I got this from here & I'm passin' it back to you:
>>
>> In DOS:
>>
>> dir *.* /s >>yourfiles.txt
>>
>> The (/s) means go down through the directories below the point where
>> the DIR command is being issued. It will list all files in all
>> directories
>> starting from the highest directory and all files in the directory
>> where the DIR was listed.
>>
>> The (>>) means pipe/dump the text display in the file yourfiles.txt,
>> which can also be >>c:\alan\yourfiles.txt.
>>

> Note if you want a printout then this will print to your default printer:
> dir *.* > prn: or dir *.* > lpt: or if you might have some trouble
> with the previous one dir *.* > lpt1:
>
> FK

I use a free program from no-nonsense-software.com/freeware Print Folder
1.3.

Frosty

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:35:46 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
sat on why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>'s chest like a
vulture, I said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your
throat and you can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:

>On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:01:58 -0500, Frosty wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:47:48 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
>>sat on "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)>'s chest like a vulture, I
>>said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you
>>can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
>>
>>>I'm using Windows XP Professional and would like to be able to print a list

><snip>
>
>>I got this from here & I'm passin' it back to you:
>>
>>In DOS:
>>
>>dir *.* /s >>yourfiles.txt
>>
>>The (/s) means go down through the directories below the point where
>>the
>>DIR command is being issued. It will list all files in all directories
>>starting from the highest directory and all files in the directory
>>where
>>the DIR was listed.
>>
>>The (>>) means pipe/dump the text display in the file yourfiles.txt,
>>which can also be >>c:\alan\yourfiles.txt.

>The '>' is a redirection to a file or device, '>>' is redirect and
>append, the pipe is | (vertical bar) , taking output from 1 program and
>send it to another.
>

>Me

What he said.