Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer is Making a Buzzing Noise

Computer is Making a Buzzing Noise

Monica

It's doing it in equal or fairly equal intervals of every 5 minutes. It's
not a vibration. It's like the old timey buzzer doorbells. It lasts about
3 seconds. It's got to be some kind of signal or warning, right? I checked
Device Manager and there are no problems showing up there. I haven't done
a scan disk and I'm not getting any error messages or warnings. I don't
*see* the problem in Event Viewer under Admin Tools.
It's a Dimension 8400, P4, 3.2ghz. Bought in May of 05. Hard drives are
Samsung SP1614C (pretty sure that's the one I added) and ST3160026AS. Both
are SATA.
OS is XP SP2. It seems like I've maybe heard this in the past, once or
twice, but not every 5 minutes like it's been doing for the last few hours.
Rebooted and it's still buzzing every five minutes. I don't see anything
unusual
running in Win Task Manager. My list in "Hijack This" is quite short and
shows
nothing new or out of the ordinary.
Can someone offer some advice on what it is?
Thanks,
Monica

John H. Holliday

"Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:458d7744$0$15511$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> It's doing it in equal or fairly equal intervals of every 5 minutes. It's
> not a vibration. It's like the old timey buzzer doorbells. It lasts
> about
> 3 seconds. It's got to be some kind of signal or warning, right? I
> checked
> Device Manager and there are no problems showing up there. I haven't done
> a scan disk and I'm not getting any error messages or warnings. I don't
> *see* the problem in Event Viewer under Admin Tools.
> It's a Dimension 8400, P4, 3.2ghz. Bought in May of 05. Hard drives are
> Samsung SP1614C (pretty sure that's the one I added) and ST3160026AS.
> Both
> are SATA.
> OS is XP SP2. It seems like I've maybe heard this in the past, once or
> twice, but not every 5 minutes like it's been doing for the last few
> hours.
> Rebooted and it's still buzzing every five minutes. I don't see anything
> unusual
> running in Win Task Manager. My list in "Hijack This" is quite short and
> shows
> nothing new or out of the ordinary.
> Can someone offer some advice on what it is?
> Thanks,
> Monica

Some of the that model Dells are susceptible to dust accumulating in the
processor bearings so they can't turn freely and friction builds up-- that's
what the noise is. Left unrepaired, your computer will slow down to a crawl.

Pop the case, remove the big Pentium chip and dust off bearings and bearing
race with a small artist's brush-- or blow out with a can of Dust Off.
That'll do ya' and you'll be good to go.

Doc

Blinky the Shark

Monica wrote:
> It's doing it in equal or fairly equal intervals of every 5 minutes. It's
> not a vibration. It's like the old timey buzzer doorbells. It lasts about
> 3 seconds. It's got to be some kind of signal or warning, right?

Doodette, it's the doorbell. There are some very persistant Jehovah's
Witnesses out there, and they'd like a little of your time...

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

NewFox

have you installed windows Beesta?

"Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:458d7744$0$15511$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> It's doing it in equal or fairly equal intervals of every 5 minutes. It's
> not a vibration. It's like the old timey buzzer doorbells. It lasts
> about
> 3 seconds. It's got to be some kind of signal or warning, right? I
> checked
> Device Manager and there are no problems showing up there. I haven't done
> a scan disk and I'm not getting any error messages or warnings. I don't
> *see* the problem in Event Viewer under Admin Tools.
> It's a Dimension 8400, P4, 3.2ghz. Bought in May of 05. Hard drives are
> Samsung SP1614C (pretty sure that's the one I added) and ST3160026AS.
> Both
> are SATA.
> OS is XP SP2. It seems like I've maybe heard this in the past, once or
> twice, but not every 5 minutes like it's been doing for the last few
> hours.
> Rebooted and it's still buzzing every five minutes. I don't see anything
> unusual
> running in Win Task Manager. My list in "Hijack This" is quite short and
> shows
> nothing new or out of the ordinary.
> Can someone offer some advice on what it is?
> Thanks,
> Monica

Wab

"Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:458d7744$0$15511$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> It's doing it in equal or fairly equal intervals of every 5 minutes. It's
> not a vibration. It's like the old timey buzzer doorbells. It lasts
> about
> 3 seconds. It's got to be some kind of signal or warning, right? I
> checked
> Device Manager and there are no problems showing up there. I haven't done
> a scan disk and I'm not getting any error messages or warnings. I don't
> *see* the problem in Event Viewer under Admin Tools.
> It's a Dimension 8400, P4, 3.2ghz. Bought in May of 05. Hard drives are
> Samsung SP1614C (pretty sure that's the one I added) and ST3160026AS.
> Both
> are SATA.
> OS is XP SP2. It seems like I've maybe heard this in the past, once or
> twice, but not every 5 minutes like it's been doing for the last few
> hours.
> Rebooted and it's still buzzing every five minutes. I don't see anything
> unusual
> running in Win Task Manager. My list in "Hijack This" is quite short and
> shows
> nothing new or out of the ordinary.
> Can someone offer some advice on what it is?
> Thanks,
> Monica

If the machine has a floppy drive, that could be the trouble perhaps?

Tony

Monica

Doc, would it make this 2.5-3 second buzz at even 5 minute intervals if it
was a dust accumulation problem? I don't have a problem with opening the
case and cleaning parts but it just seems like as *controlled* as this noise
is, dust wouldn't be the issue.
Monica
"John H. Holliday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Some of the that model Dells are susceptible to dust accumulating in the
> processor bearings so they can't turn freely and friction builds up--
> that's what the noise is. Left unrepaired, your computer will slow down to
> a crawl.
>
> Pop the case, remove the big Pentium chip and dust off bearings and
> bearing race with a small artist's brush-- or blow out with a can of Dust
> Off. That'll do ya' and you'll be good to go.
>
> Doc

Monica

Well DUH! I guess I should have checked that first! <lol>
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Monica wrote:
>> It's doing it in equal or fairly equal intervals of every 5 minutes.
>> It's
>> not a vibration. It's like the old timey buzzer doorbells. It lasts
>> about
>> 3 seconds. It's got to be some kind of signal or warning, right?

> Doodette, it's the doorbell. There are some very persistant Jehovah's
> Witnesses out there, and they'd like a little of your time...

Monica

Beesta, as in Vista? No, I haven't.

"NewFox" <-> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> have you installed windows Beesta?

Monica

No floppy drive.

"Wab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the machine has a floppy drive, that could be the trouble perhaps?
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-037
>
> Tony

philo

"Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:458d7744$0$15511$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> It's doing it in equal or fairly equal intervals of every 5 minutes. It's
> not a vibration. It's like the old timey buzzer doorbells. It lasts

about
> 3 seconds. It's got to be some kind of signal or warning, right? I

checked
> Device Manager and there are no problems showing up there. I haven't done
> a scan disk and I'm not getting any error messages or warnings. I don't
> *see* the problem in Event Viewer under Admin Tools.
> It's a Dimension 8400, P4, 3.2ghz. Bought in May of 05. Hard drives are
> Samsung SP1614C (pretty sure that's the one I added) and ST3160026AS.

Both
> are SATA.
> OS is XP SP2. It seems like I've maybe heard this in the past, once or
> twice, but not every 5 minutes like it's been doing for the last few

hours.
> Rebooted and it's still buzzing every five minutes. I don't see anything
> unusual
> running in Win Task Manager. My list in "Hijack This" is quite short and
> shows

Check your motherboard manual ...
could be an over-temp warning ???