Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > advice for 1st credit card ?

advice for 1st credit card ?

Brian

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down the full cash up
front. I've never applied for a true credit card before. I have a good
credit score though over 700.

I'm looking to apply for a credit card with 0% APR for 12 months and no
annual fee, to finance my new notebook. The main goal is to purchase the
laptop, and then pay it off over a few months interest free, without
incurring other fees and what not. It sounds so simple, but is it accurate:
get a card, buy the notebook, pay the card off before the promo period ends
and cancel the card, and this will leave me with my notebook with no other
finance charges (assuming no missed payments, etc). Is this right?

Can anyone offer any advice here, or identify misinformation I might have?
Am I fairly accurate here? I see citi and chase both offer similar cards, 0%
for 12 months and no annual fees. Does it sound like I'm on the right path,
or are corrections needed?

Thanks all. I'm looking at E1505 notebooks and my ideal notebooks are
running about $950-$1015. I'd like to purchase next time dell outlet offers
another 10% coupon.

Scoresby

Brian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down the full cash up
> front. I've never applied for a true credit card before. I have a good
> credit score though over 700.
>
> I'm looking to apply for a credit card with 0% APR for 12 months and no
> annual fee, to finance my new notebook. The main goal is to purchase the
> laptop, and then pay it off over a few months interest free, without
> incurring other fees and what not. It sounds so simple, but is it accurate:
> get a card, buy the notebook, pay the card off before the promo period ends
> and cancel the card, and this will leave me with my notebook with no other
> finance charges (assuming no missed payments, etc). Is this right?
>
> Can anyone offer any advice here, or identify misinformation I might have?
> Am I fairly accurate here? I see citi and chase both offer similar cards, 0%
> for 12 months and no annual fees. Does it sound like I'm on the right path,
> or are corrections needed?

Nope, you sound good to me. You might have trouble getting the 0% rate
if it's your first card though, so good luck.

Brian

Thanks for the reply.

I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum mumbo jumbo with
0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what I have as a student
employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more reading of fine
print and start applying and see what happens!

"Scoresby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Brian wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down the full cash
>> up
>> front. I've never applied for a true credit card before. I have a good
>> credit score though over 700.
>>
>> I'm looking to apply for a credit card with 0% APR for 12 months and no
>> annual fee, to finance my new notebook. The main goal is to purchase the
>> laptop, and then pay it off over a few months interest free, without
>> incurring other fees and what not. It sounds so simple, but is it
>> accurate:
>> get a card, buy the notebook, pay the card off before the promo period
>> ends
>> and cancel the card, and this will leave me with my notebook with no
>> other
>> finance charges (assuming no missed payments, etc). Is this right?
>>
>> Can anyone offer any advice here, or identify misinformation I might
>> have?
>> Am I fairly accurate here? I see citi and chase both offer similar cards,
>> 0%
>> for 12 months and no annual fees. Does it sound like I'm on the right
>> path,
>> or are corrections needed?
>>

> Nope, you sound good to me. You might have trouble getting the 0% rate
> if it's your first card though, so good luck.

George

Brian wrote:
:: Thanks for the reply.
::
:: I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on
:: one, I forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum
:: mumbo jumbo with 0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what
:: I have as a student employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do
:: a bit more reading of fine print and start applying and see what
:: happens!
::
::
:: "Scoresby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
:: news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
:::
::: Brian wrote:
:::: Hi all,
::::
[...]

Make sure you get one with no annual fee.

DanR

George wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on
>>> one, I forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum
>>> mumbo jumbo with 0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what
>>> I have as a student employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do
>>> a bit more reading of fine print and start applying and see what
>>> happens!
>>>

>>> "Scoresby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Make sure you get one with no annual fee.

Make sure you are never even one day late with a payment. Usually the deal
is off if you are late and they charge you all the interest retroactively.

NotMe

news:458c7ce1$0$16993$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Thanks for the reply.
|
| I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
| forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum mumbo jumbo
with
| 0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what I have as a student
| employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more reading of
fine
| print and start applying and see what happens!

Watch out many of those 0% are teasers and they can (and do) jump the rate
for the most outlandish justifications.

Shel-hed

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:48:31 -1000, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply.
>
>I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
>forget if Citi or Chase,

Do your research. Citibank is a pack of crooks.

samuel

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:458c6ae8$0$2287$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down
> the full cash up front. I've never applied for a true credit
> card before. I have a good credit score though over 700.

have you talked to your bank or local bankS?

Dr. Abraham van Helsing

DanR wrote:
> George wrote:

>>Make sure you get one with no annual fee.

> Make sure you are never even one day late with a payment. Usually the deal
> is off if you are late and they charge you all the interest retroactively.

If the kid's got any sense, he'll avoid a credit card at all cost. He
should be able to go to Circuit City or some store like that and make
a small down payment and let CC's finance give him the loan for the
remaining amount. He's got good credit for a little bit of time, anyway.

Once a CC company gets a hold of you, you're ****ed with temptations on
we just raised you're credit limit so spend some more on our dime, which
you'll pay for using that dime heavily. You'll look around and wonder
just what was purchased that max-ed it and it happens quickly.

I got one paid off and cut-up and the other one is within striking
distance to pay that one off and cut it up soon.

A debit/credit card is the way to go. If the money is not in your bank
account for none emergency stuff, then you didn't need it.

Frosty

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:48:31 -1000 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
sat on "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)>'s chest like a vulture, I said
"Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you can
throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
>forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum mumbo jumbo with
>0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what I have as a student
>employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more reading of fine
>print and start applying and see what happens!

Whatever you don't don't get The Capital One Platinum Card. I have one
and it is the worst and most ****ed up company I have ever dealt with!
I'm using the 0% 'til I pay it off then I'll shred it & mail 'em the
pieces.