Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can I install a program over the LAN ?

Can I install a program over the LAN ?

divoch

I have a foreign encyclopaedia program that I have installed on my laptop.
The program was supplied on DVD only. On my desktop PC I have only CD
rewriter. Both computers share a local wireless network. Is there a way to
remotely install the program on the desktop PC from the DVD in the laptop
drive? I have tried sharing the DVD drive and although it appears to be
shared my attempts to initialise installation by attempting to run the
installation program on the DVD remotely, i.e., from the desktop PC, have
failed.

Thanks
divoch

Mr. Arnold

divoch wrote:
> I have a foreign encyclopaedia program that I have installed on my laptop.
> The program was supplied on DVD only. On my desktop PC I have only CD
> rewriter. Both computers share a local wireless network. Is there a way to
> remotely install the program on the desktop PC from the DVD in the laptop
> drive? I have tried sharing the DVD drive and although it appears to be
> shared my attempts to initialise installation by attempting to run the
> installation program on the DVD remotely, i.e., from the desktop PC, have
> failed.
>
> Thanks
> divoch

Yeah, you can install software on your local computer from another
computer on the LAN that has the software on a drive. I don't know what
your problem is but you can do it.

why?

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:08:28 GMT, divoch wrote:

>I have a foreign encyclopaedia program that I have installed on my laptop.
>The program was supplied on DVD only. On my desktop PC I have only CD
>rewriter. Both computers share a local wireless network. Is there a way to
>remotely install the program on the desktop PC from the DVD in the laptop
>drive? I have tried sharing the DVD drive and although it appears to be
>shared my attempts to initialise installation by attempting to run the
>installation program on the DVD remotely, i.e., from the desktop PC, have

So it's the install that fails? Contact the vendor.

>failed.

Yes that method works, use it quite often.

Then again, sometimes copying the files locally to the desktop then
running the install may work.

Me

Meat Plow

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:08:28 +0000, divoch Has Frothed:

> I have a foreign encyclopaedia program that I have installed on my laptop.
> The program was supplied on DVD only. On my desktop PC I have only CD
> rewriter. Both computers share a local wireless network. Is there a way to
> remotely install the program on the desktop PC from the DVD in the laptop
> drive? I have tried sharing the DVD drive and although it appears to be
> shared my attempts to initialise installation by attempting to run the
> installation program on the DVD remotely, i.e., from the desktop PC, have
> failed.
>
> Thanks
> divoch

I've done FTP installs of operating systems over the internet so yes you
can install programs/applications.

COOSN-266-06-25794

why?

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:08:02 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:08:28 +0000, divoch Has Frothed:
>
>> I have a foreign encyclopaedia program that I have installed on my laptop.
>> The program was supplied on DVD only. On my desktop PC I have only CD
>> rewriter. Both computers share a local wireless network. Is there a way to
>> remotely install the program on the desktop PC from the DVD in the laptop
>> drive? I have tried sharing the DVD drive and although it appears to be
>> shared my attempts to initialise installation by attempting to run the

<snip>

>I've done FTP installs of operating systems over the internet so yes you
>can install programs/applications.

Tried that as well, most impressed by the 1st attempt of FreeBSD many
years ago.

Me

PeeCee

"divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:M2Wih.22137$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a foreign encyclopaedia program that I have installed on my laptop.
>The program was supplied on DVD only. On my desktop PC I have only CD
>rewriter. Both computers share a local wireless network. Is there a way to
>remotely install the program on the desktop PC from the DVD in the laptop
>drive? I have tried sharing the DVD drive and although it appears to be
>shared my attempts to initialise installation by attempting to run the
>installation program on the DVD remotely, i.e., from the desktop PC, have
>failed.
>
> Thanks
> divoch

Divoch

1 Share the DVD drive on the Laptop (already done according to your OP)
2 On the Desktop Start, Right click on 'My Computer', left click Map Network
drive, click the 'Browse' button.
3 Now navigate through My Network places and select the shared DVD drive on
your Laptop, adjust the drive letter to taste. OK / Apply / Finish as
applicable.
4 Load your program DVD into the Laptop's DVD drive & cancel any setup that
autostarts
5 On the desktop, Start, Run, Browse to the drive letter you created in step
3.
6 Find the file on the DVD that starts the install and 'run' that. (Open the
autorun.inf file in the root of the DVD to see which file is in the 'open='
line, this is the file to 'run')

Note depending on the size of files and the state of you network allow time
for the files to copy across your network.
ie it may be noticably slower than straight from the DVD/CD drive.

Best
Paul.

divoch

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:emhq1e$81r$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:M2Wih.22137$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a foreign encyclopaedia program that I have installed on my
>>laptop. The program was supplied on DVD only. On my desktop PC I have only
>>CD rewriter. Both computers share a local wireless network. Is there a way
>>to remotely install the program on the desktop PC from the DVD in the
>>laptop drive? I have tried sharing the DVD drive and although it appears
>>to be shared my attempts to initialise installation by attempting to run
>>the installation program on the DVD remotely, i.e., from the desktop PC,
>>have failed.
>>
>> Thanks
>> divoch

> Divoch
>
> 1 Share the DVD drive on the Laptop (already done according to your OP)
> 2 On the Desktop Start, Right click on 'My Computer', left click Map
> Network drive, click the 'Browse' button.
> 3 Now navigate through My Network places and select the shared DVD drive
> on your Laptop, adjust the drive letter to taste. OK / Apply / Finish as
> applicable.
> 4 Load your program DVD into the Laptop's DVD drive & cancel any setup
> that autostarts
> 5 On the desktop, Start, Run, Browse to the drive letter you created in
> step 3.
> 6 Find the file on the DVD that starts the install and 'run' that. (Open
> the autorun.inf file in the root of the DVD to see which file is in the
> 'open=' line, this is the file to 'run')
>
> Note depending on the size of files and the state of you network allow
> time for the files to copy across your network.
> ie it may be noticably slower than straight from the DVD/CD drive.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Did not do step 2, 3 ... . I shall have a go again and see if I can get it
going.
Thanks
divoch

PeeCee

"divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsy_ih.21023$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:emhq1e$81r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:M2Wih.22137$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a foreign encyclopaedia program that I have installed on my
>>>laptop. The program was supplied on DVD only. On my desktop PC I have
>>>only CD rewriter. Both computers share a local wireless network. Is there
>>>a way to remotely install the program on the desktop PC from the DVD in
>>>the laptop drive? I have tried sharing the DVD drive and although it
>>>appears to be shared my attempts to initialise installation by attempting
>>>to run the installation program on the DVD remotely, i.e., from the
>>>desktop PC, have failed.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> divoch

>> Divoch
>>
>> 1 Share the DVD drive on the Laptop (already done according to your OP)
>> 2 On the Desktop Start, Right click on 'My Computer', left click Map
>> Network drive, click the 'Browse' button.
>> 3 Now navigate through My Network places and select the shared DVD drive
>> on your Laptop, adjust the drive letter to taste. OK / Apply / Finish as
>> applicable.
>> 4 Load your program DVD into the Laptop's DVD drive & cancel any setup
>> that autostarts
>> 5 On the desktop, Start, Run, Browse to the drive letter you created in
>> step 3.
>> 6 Find the file on the DVD that starts the install and 'run' that. (Open
>> the autorun.inf file in the root of the DVD to see which file is in the
>> 'open=' line, this is the file to 'run')
>>
>> Note depending on the size of files and the state of you network allow
>> time for the files to copy across your network.
>> ie it may be noticably slower than straight from the DVD/CD drive.
>>
>> Best
>> Paul.

> Did not do step 2, 3 ... . I shall have a go again and see if I can get it
> going.
> Thanks
> divoch

Divoch

The reason I suggest mapping a drive is some install routines work best to a
drive letter.
Properly written install software will handle network paths without problem,
but now and again....

Best
Paul.

divoch

PeeCee wrote:
> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsy_ih.21023$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:emhq1e$81r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:M2Wih.22137$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> Divoch
>>>
>>> 1 Share the DVD drive on the Laptop (already done according to your
>>> OP) 2 On the Desktop Start, Right click on 'My Computer', left
>>> click Map Network drive, click the 'Browse' button.
>>> 3 Now navigate through My Network places and select the shared DVD
>>> drive on your Laptop, adjust the drive letter to taste. OK / Apply
>>> / Finish as applicable.
>>> 4 Load your program DVD into the Laptop's DVD drive & cancel any
>>> setup that autostarts
>>> 5 On the desktop, Start, Run, Browse to the drive letter you
>>> created in step 3.
>>> 6 Find the file on the DVD that starts the install and 'run' that.
>>> (Open the autorun.inf file in the root of the DVD to see which file
>>> is in the 'open=' line, this is the file to 'run')
>>>
>>> Note depending on the size of files and the state of you network
>>> allow time for the files to copy across your network.
>>> ie it may be noticably slower than straight from the DVD/CD drive.
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Paul.

>> Did not do step 2, 3 ... . I shall have a go again and see if I can
>> get it going.
>> Thanks
>> divoch
>>

> Divoch
>
> The reason I suggest mapping a drive is some install routines work
> best to a drive letter.
> Properly written install software will handle network paths without
> problem, but now and again....

Briliant. It worked. It must have been this mapping.
Thanks very much
Divoch