Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NetZero and newsgroups

NetZero and newsgroups

Lookout

Does NetZero allow newsgroup access? If so are the MP3 groups
available? Not looking for the multimedia porn. If not can someone
offer ideas on free servers?
Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.
Thanks

Mike Easter

Lookout wrote:
> Does NetZero allow newsgroup access?

What NetZero allows depends on what flavor of netzero you buy^1.

> Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.

Asking questions for someone else doesn't work well because you don't
know the answers to the questions like 'What kind of netzero account
does the index case have?' It also makes a difference what is the
operating system; why should we assume windows?

In addition, just getting into newsgroups and wanting to mess with
binaries requires significantly more 'skills' and tools^2 than does your
posting a question and reading an answer in 24hshd.

So the free netzero user will have to start out using a browser on
googlegroups or such until they can advance their connectivity far
enough to have normal access and connectivity rather than just netzero's
front end. Then after adequate connectivity, they need to learn how to
acquire a newsserver, free, nearly free, or lowpriced commercial NSP.
Then next they would need to learn about various newsservers for their
OS and how to handle yEncoding, unRar/ing, and par files.

So, the user who needs the answers needs to be the one asking the
questions here or somewhere.

^1 http://www.netzero.net/support/email/index.html Important note for
Free NetZero members: To take advantage of offline email clients such as
Microsoft Outlook, you must upgrade to a Platinum or HiSpeed 3G account.

^2 http://www.slyck.com/ng.php Slyck's Guide to The Newsgroups -
Contents -
1. Intro
2. News Servers
3. Newsreaders
4. Newsgroups
5. RAR files
6. PAR & PAR2 files
7. Identifying a Post
8. Posting
9. NZB Files
10. Tips
11. Guide Updates

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:

> Then next they would need to learn about various
> newsservers for their OS

s/newsservers/newsagents/

They would need to learn about their newsagent options, because the
typical default OE has some significant limitations.

--
Mike Easter

Tester

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:51:51 -0600, Lookout <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does NetZero allow newsgroup access? If so are the MP3 groups
>available? Not looking for the multimedia porn. If not can someone
>offer ideas on free servers?
>Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.
>Thanks

AFAIK Netzero does not provide Ussenet. It appears that Peoplepc.com
which is also a $10/month ISP may provide access to Earthlink's
servers carry mp3's although they are not as good as a premium
service.

tracert news.peoplepc.com Tracing route to news.east.earthlink.net
[207.217.125.201]

For a one time fee of $3.95 and no monthly fee you can get 50 meg/day
access to Teranews.com. Ir's not too hard to download more than 50
megs/day if you are in to MP3's but on dial-up it's pretty difficult.

Of course, you can also get MP3's from peer-to-peer such as Emule and
Torrents.

Blinky the Shark

Tester wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:51:51 -0600, Lookout <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Does NetZero allow newsgroup access? If so are the MP3 groups
>>available? Not looking for the multimedia porn. If not can someone
>>offer ideas on free servers?
>>Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.
>>Thanks

> AFAIK Netzero does not provide Ussenet. It appears that Peoplepc.com
> which is also a $10/month ISP may provide access to Earthlink's
> servers carry mp3's although they are not as good as a premium
> service.

And Earthlink's servers just quit working for a week and a half, and
when they came back up nothing from December 8 to about December 17th
appeared on them. Most ISP news feeds suck.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Lookout

I'm well aware of the problems introducing someone to the newsgroups.

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:31:55 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Lookout wrote:
>> Does NetZero allow newsgroup access?

>What NetZero allows depends on what flavor of netzero you buy^1.
>
>> Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.

>Asking questions for someone else doesn't work well because you don't
>know the answers to the questions like 'What kind of netzero account
>does the index case have?' It also makes a difference what is the
>operating system; why should we assume windows?
>
>In addition, just getting into newsgroups and wanting to mess with
>binaries requires significantly more 'skills' and tools^2 than does your
>posting a question and reading an answer in 24hshd.
>
>So the free netzero user will have to start out using a browser on
>googlegroups or such until they can advance their connectivity far
>enough to have normal access and connectivity rather than just netzero's
>front end. Then after adequate connectivity, they need to learn how to
>acquire a newsserver, free, nearly free, or lowpriced commercial NSP.
>Then next they would need to learn about various newsservers for their
>OS and how to handle yEncoding, unRar/ing, and par files.
>
>So, the user who needs the answers needs to be the one asking the
>questions here or somewhere.
>

>^1 http://www.netzero.net/support/email/index.html Important note for
>Free NetZero members: To take advantage of offline email clients such as
>Microsoft Outlook, you must upgrade to a Platinum or HiSpeed 3G account.
>
>^2 http://www.slyck.com/ng.php Slyck's Guide to The Newsgroups -
>Contents -
>1. Intro
>2. News Servers
>3. Newsreaders
>4. Newsgroups
>5. RAR files
>6. PAR & PAR2 files
>7. Identifying a Post
>8. Posting
>9. NZB Files
>10. Tips
>11. Guide Updates

Lookout

On 20 Dec 2006 19:24:08 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Tester wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:51:51 -0600, Lookout <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Does NetZero allow newsgroup access? If so are the MP3 groups
>>>available? Not looking for the multimedia porn. If not can someone
>>>offer ideas on free servers?
>>>Asking for someone just getting into the newsgroups.
>>>Thanks

>> AFAIK Netzero does not provide Ussenet. It appears that Peoplepc.com
>> which is also a $10/month ISP may provide access to Earthlink's
>> servers carry mp3's although they are not as good as a premium
>> service.

>And Earthlink's servers just quit working for a week and a half, and
>when they came back up nothing from December 8 to about December 17th
>appeared on them. Most ISP news feeds suck.

Ya. I'm watching Earthlink users having fits in the multimedia groups