Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Too Many Programmes Running

Too Many Programmes Running

Barry Collins

When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they
do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in control panel
but these programmes do not show up there? I use windows XP

Cheers

pcbutts1

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

"Barry Collins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NJFhh.17835$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
> programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they
> do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in control
> panel but these programmes do not show up there? I use windows XP
>
> Cheers

Bert Hyman

In news:NJFhh.17835$(E-Mail Removed) "Barry Collins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have
> 55 programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down
> so they do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in
> control panel but these programmes do not show up there? I use
> windows XP

Run "msconfig" from a command line and look at the "Startup" tab; this
will show you the entries in the "Run" section(s) of the registry. If
you recognize programs that you know you don't want, you can disable
them, but I think Windows will nag you about them at each boot.

I use a free utility called "Startup Inspector" which I think has a
better interface.

http://www.windowsstartup.com/

There are certainly others.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

lee houston

"Barry Collins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NJFhh.17835$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
> programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they
> do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in control
> panel but these programmes do not show up there? I use windows XP

These are processes, not applications. They are loaded and ready
but not all are executing and taking cpu time. More meaningful is
to look at the percent of cpu being used. If it's a low percentage,
don't sweat it.

I'm running four applications now and show 42 processes under
xp sp2. cpu usage is 3 percent.

What's in a Name?

pcbutts1 aka pcbutts1@****leythosthestalker.com in
24hoursupport.helpdesk <(E-Mail Removed)>
on 12/18/2006 after much thought,came up with this jewel:

> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Before listening to anything butthead says,read through these

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks...do-believe-PCB
UTTS1-has-finally-lost-the-plot.aspx

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks...10/272921.aspx

http://forums.security-central.us/sh...ad.php?p=10097

http://www.atribune.org/Blog/?p=16

http://blog.subratam.org/?p=17

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/secu...butts1what-a-r
oyal-pain-in-the-butt/

http://www.besttechie.net/2006/09/07...s1-back-at-it/

http://temerc.blogspot.com/2006/09/p...are-theif.html

max
--
Playing Nice on Usenet:
My Pages:

Plato

Barry Collins wrote:

> When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
> programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they

Quite normal for XP. In fact. It takes about 150-250 megs of RAM just to
start Windows as there a so many processes that need to be running for
the average pc user.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

why?

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:44:45 GMT, Barry Collins wrote:

>When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
>programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they

Oh no not this again <groan>

I have 55 and 58 and am sure the last time it was mentioned it was
different.

So it was, I said 62.

http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...9ad91a5aef3f45
or shorter
http://masl.to/?D2992166E

HERE IS A HINT - read the thread mentioned above.

2ND HINT (2 for 1 seasonal gift)
http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk
www.google.com

>do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in control panel

Well that's a start , usual suspects.

msconfig

admin tools / services.

Didn't get a crystal ball last xmas and don't expect 1 this time either.
Find out what you are talking about (unnamed processes)
http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rocesslibrary/
or far better yet, for NTL don't touch anything. If you can't figure out
what the processes are, it's safer not to do anything.

>but these programmes do not show up there? I use windows XP

Wow another XP user.

Me

Lookout

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
>programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they
>do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in control panel
>but these programmes do not show up there? I use windows XP
>
>Cheers

Go to each program that is starting when you start up and go into the
preferences. Somewhere in there MOST will have a box where you can
disable the start on start up. Once you have done that get back with
us with a list that starts every time you start Windows.