Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Remote Desktop Connection / Sound Question

Remote Desktop Connection / Sound Question

Lordmofisto

Hi, I have a question about Remote Desktop Connections and Sound. I have
already got the remote connection from my computer to my other one working
fine, however, what I ultimately wanted to accomplish by this was to use my
other computer as a media desktop. I wanted to store all my video and music
files on that computer and be able to listen to them through that computers
surround sound system. The problem that I am running into is, that the
Remote Desktop software automatically pipes the sound to my computer and not
through the host computers sound card/system. I don't want this. I am a
gamer and I like to be able to listen to music while I am playing, however,
the large playlists and files that I use bog my already antiquated system
down. Thats why I put them on my spare computer which can easily handle
multimedia but not much else. So I can have 1 pure gaming computer and 1
pure multimedia computer.

Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely to
set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is a
problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect it
and reconnect it to the other computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Walter Mautner

Lordmofisto wrote:

> am playing, however, the large playlists and files that I use bog my
> already antiquated system down. Thats why I put them on my spare computer
> which can easily handle multimedia but not much else. So I can have 1 pure
> gaming computer and 1 pure multimedia computer.

You should know, the remote (compressed by default) connection will hog
resources as well, having to transmit graphics.

> Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely to
> set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is a
> problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect it
> and reconnect it to the other computer.

A quick alternative remote control solution is (free) winvnc, which won't
transmit sound. You need the server on your multimedia computer (tiny app,
can be started as a service) and the vncviewer on your gaming computer.

lee houston

"Lordmofisto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsVmhh.274362$FQ1.83807@attbi_s71...

> Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely to
> set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is a
> problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect it
> and reconnect it to the other computer.

See if VNC will fit your needs. Allows remote desktop / keyboard
access even when no monitor is plgged into the remote computer.
Probably leave the remote sound applications running solely on the
remote computer.

checkout: http://www.realvnc.com/what.html

lee

William

Lordmofisto wrote:
> Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely to
> set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is a
> problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect it
> and reconnect it to the other computer.

When starting Remote Desktop, before you click "Connect", click
"Options" > "Local Resources", and set "Remote computer sound" to the
required value.

--
WH

Lordmofisto

Durp, I should have checked the settings much closer.

That worked awesomely.

Thanks much

"William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Lordmofisto wrote:
>> Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely
>> set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is
>> problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect it
>> and reconnect it to the other computer.

> When starting Remote Desktop, before you click "Connect", click
> "Options" > "Local Resources", and set "Remote computer sound" to the
> required value.
>
> --
> WH

Lordmofisto

Only problem is know. Accourding to the message that I get when logging off,
it says the programs will continue to run even after I log off. Well the
program continues to run, but the music doesn't keep playing. Any ideas
there?

> Durp, I should have checked the settings much closer.
>
> That worked awesomely.
>
> Thanks much
>

> "William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Lordmofisto wrote:
>>> Is there a way you can set up a computer that I can connect to remotely
>>> set it up to play music through its own sound system? The reason this is
>>> problem is because I only have 1 monitor, and its a pain to disconnect
>>> it
>>> and reconnect it to the other computer.

>> When starting Remote Desktop, before you click "Connect", click
>> "Options" > "Local Resources", and set "Remote computer sound" to the
>> required value.
>>
>> --
>> WH

William

Lordmofisto wrote:
> Only problem is know. Accourding to the message that I get when logging off,
> it says the programs will continue to run even after I log off. Well the
> program continues to run, but the music doesn't keep playing. Any ideas
> there?

Strange. I tried this on my network, and using "Disconnect", the music
continued playing. Are you disconnecting or logging off?

--
WH

Lordmofisto

I bet I was logging off. I just clicked the close program on the little bar
at the top. I will check it again.

And thanks for the help

"William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Lordmofisto wrote:
>> Only problem is know. Accourding to the message that I get when logging
>> off,
>> it says the programs will continue to run even after I log off. Well the
>> program continues to run, but the music doesn't keep playing. Any ideas
>> there?

> Strange. I tried this on my network, and using "Disconnect", the music
> continued playing. Are you disconnecting or logging off?
>
> --
> WH

Lordmofisto

Just tried it via logging off and disconnecting. Either way it still stops
the music but leave Media Player up on the screen. No matter how I get out
of it other then just minimizing it, it will stop playing.

Any ideas?