Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "MONSTER" or other premium telephone cords...???

"MONSTER" or other premium telephone cords...???

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com

I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for my
browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft. old
dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my PC.

This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream" internet
radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.

Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for me
to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the improvment
is slight it would be well worth it for me.

Thanks

DAVID

Rosco

cried out

> I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for
> my browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft.
> old dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my
> PC.
>
> This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream"
> internet radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.
>
> Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for
> me to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the
> improvment is slight it would be well worth it for me.
>
> Thanks
>
> DAVID

The buffering is caused my having dial up. Dial-up is not designed to
cope with streaming media speeds. Your phone cable has nothing to do
with it.

Jerry G.

You cannot properly stream with dialup. You need DSL service at the very
minimum. The fastest you will probably be able to have with a dialup is
about 42 k to 46k under ideal conditions. This is no where near what is
required for live streaming of any kind.

Your telephone company uses a simple twisted pair AWG # 22 AWG # 24
solid conductor wire from your home to their area hub, and then it
probably goes by fibre to their central office.

Subscribe for high speed DSL service, and you will see a world of
difference.

--

Jerry G.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for my
browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft. old
dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my PC.

This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream" internet
radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.

Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for me
to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the improvment
is slight it would be well worth it for me.

Thanks

DAVID

Whiskers

On 2006-12-16, Rosco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> cried out
>
>> I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for
>> my browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft.
>> old dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my
>> PC.
>>
>> This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream"
>> internet radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.
>>
>> Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for
>> me to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the
>> improvment is slight it would be well worth it for me.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> DAVID
>>

> The buffering is caused my having dial up. Dial-up is not designed to
> cope with streaming media speeds. Your phone cable has nothing to do
> with it.

Well, a rough or un-shielded extension cable won't be helping.

Some streaming content is offered at a quality suitable for '56K' dialup,
but the results can be poor. 'Bufferring' the entire file may be the best
option - or capturing the data for later re-play. It used to take me
about an hour to get a useable 30 minute programme using the BBC 'listen
again' service over dial-up. (I had to play around a bit to get the actual
URL of the stream out of their 'player', and then use mplayer's dumpstream
option so that I could listen once the file was complete) (That's on
Linux).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

nobody >

> I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for my
> browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft. old
> dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my PC.
>
> This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream" internet
> radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.
>
> Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for me
> to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the improvment
> is slight it would be well worth it for me.
>
> Thanks
>
> DAVID

You could run phone cord built out of welding cable and it's not going
to help a bit. You just don't have a big enough bandwidth on dialup.

thanatoid

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can
> get for my browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I
> have this 25ft. old dollar-store type phone cord running
> from the phone jack to my PC.
>
> This usually works fairly well except when I try and
> "stream" internet radio I keep getting "buffering" type
> interruptions.
>
> Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it
> help for me to get a much better "monster" type phone cord?
> Even if the improvment is slight it would be well worth it
> for me.
>
> Thanks
>
> DAVID

Expensive cables are usually a waste except to people who
*claim* they can tell the difference between a silver and a gold
CD-R.

Monster Cable etc. are a big scam, and people who buy $5,000
speakers (or wish they could) usually fall for it.

I have a 9-year old computer with a 33.6 modem and I was able to
(got bored, still could) listen to streaming audio and voice-
chat just fine. You might want to read the documentation for
your program more closely and see if you can change the memory
buffer settings etc. Another stick of memory might not hurt
either.

--
Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for my
> browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft. old
> dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my PC.
>
> This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream" internet
> radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.
>
> Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for me
> to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the improvment
> is slight it would be well worth it for me.

A monster cord will be a waste of good money.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/