Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Compressed folders

Compressed folders

John

Can someone help, i'm trying to create a compressed
folder on my XP pro but the option to create one is not
there...?

I've managed to create one on my kids machine but not
mine, could it be that i have Winrar installed on my that
is conflicting with the create compressed folder option..?

Many thanks.....

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

John wrote:
> Can someone help, i'm trying to create a compressed
> folder on my XP pro but the option to create one is not
> there...?
>
> I've managed to create one on my kids machine but not
> mine, could it be that i have Winrar installed on my that
> is conflicting with the create compressed folder option..?
>
> Many thanks.....

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm 99.9% sure that you have to have the hard
drive formatted as NTFS in order to utilize the OS's folder/file compression
options, same as the encryption options.

Japes

without some 3rd party util (not even sure if there is one) your 100%
correct Frisbee

--
Regards

Japes
Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?
When replying by email put STARWARS in the subject line, otherwise its
automatically deleted.

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

Nope--compressed folders and NTFS file compression are 2 separate animals.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...n/vz_ovrvw.asp

Winrar has taken control of zip files and compressed folders

To repair zip folders:

Click Start/Run, type "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" and click OK:

You should receive a dialog that says "DllUnregisterServer in zipfldr.dll
succeeded."

Now reregister zipfldr.dll to re-enable zip folder support.
Click Start/Run, type "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and click OK

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
"FrisbeeŽ MCNGP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John wrote:
> > Can someone help, i'm trying to create a compressed
> > folder on my XP pro but the option to create one is not
> > there...?
> >
> > I've managed to create one on my kids machine but not
> > mine, could it be that i have Winrar installed on my that
> > is conflicting with the create compressed folder option..?
> >
> > Many thanks.....

> I'm not 100% certain, but I'm 99.9% sure that you have to have the hard
> drive formatted as NTFS in order to utilize the OS's folder/file

compression
> options, same as the encryption options.

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User) wrote:
> Nope--compressed folders and NTFS file compression are 2 separate
> animals.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...n/vz_ovrvw.asp

> Winrar has taken control of zip files and compressed folders
>
> To repair zip folders:
>
> Click Start/Run, type "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" and click OK:
>

> You should receive a dialog that says "DllUnregisterServer in
> zipfldr.dll succeeded."
>
> Now reregister zipfldr.dll to re-enable zip folder support.
> Click Start/Run, type "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and click OK

This is why you're an MS-MVP and I'm an MCNGP

It's also why I said 99.9% sure. I'm never certain of anything... not even
if the sun will come up in the east tomorrow. Well, I'm 99.99999999% sure
of that one.

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

You are right far more often than you are wrong--that has to count for
something <G>

We all make mistakes--I count on other newsgroup members to catch my
screw-ups and post a correction. Having a MVP target painted on my back
virtually assures this happening in the public groups.

We're all here to learn--that is the beauty of newsgroups.
If a day goes by that I don't learn a new trick from the groups I frequent,
it mean either I didn't work the groups long enough or I wasn't paying
attention.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
"FrisbeeŽ MCNGP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is why you're an MS-MVP and I'm an MCNGP
>
> It's also why I said 99.9% sure. I'm never certain of anything... not

even
> if the sun will come up in the east tomorrow. Well, I'm 99.99999999% sure
> of that one.

Glenn

Have you seen the problem where you don't have the security tab on a folder
even though the drive is NTFS??
In this case you can't set the permissions. I have seen that problem on a
couple of computers that were XP Pro but didn't have an answer.
One was a workgroups computer, the other was a member of a domain.
Thanks,
Glenn
"FrisbeeŽ MCNGP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John wrote:
> > Can someone help, i'm trying to create a compressed
> > folder on my XP pro but the option to create one is not
> > there...?
> >
> > I've managed to create one on my kids machine but not
> > mine, could it be that i have Winrar installed on my that
> > is conflicting with the create compressed folder option..?
> >
> > Many thanks.....

> I'm not 100% certain, but I'm 99.9% sure that you have to have the hard
> drive formatted as NTFS in order to utilize the OS's folder/file

compression
> options, same as the encryption options.

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

Hi Glenn,
The security tab may have been removed by MMC through group policy editor.

I can't tell you where to go to fix it (because I am not sure exactly where
that setting is), but MVP Doug Knox has a great utility to allow access to
security settings without access to MMC and GPO.

You can download a free version of Windows XP Security Console at
If you like it and would like more features enabled, Doug sells the licensed
version for $10 USD.

I just used the free version to turn off the security tab, then turn it back
on on XP Pro.
The setting you are looking for lies in the Windows Explorer settings.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
"Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you seen the problem where you don't have the security tab on a

folder
> even though the drive is NTFS??
> In this case you can't set the permissions. I have seen that problem on a
> couple of computers that were XP Pro but didn't have an answer.
> One was a workgroups computer, the other was a member of a domain.
> Thanks,
> Glenn
> "FrisbeeŽ MCNGP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > John wrote:
> > > Can someone help, i'm trying to create a compressed
> > > folder on my XP pro but the option to create one is not
> > > there...?
> > >
> > > I've managed to create one on my kids machine but not
> > > mine, could it be that i have Winrar installed on my that
> > > is conflicting with the create compressed folder option..?
> > >
> > > Many thanks.....

> > I'm not 100% certain, but I'm 99.9% sure that you have to have the hard
> > drive formatted as NTFS in order to utilize the OS's folder/file

> compression
> > options, same as the encryption options.

Paul Lynch

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:18:06 -0800, "John"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can someone help, i'm trying to create a compressed
>folder on my XP pro but the option to create one is not
>there...?
>
>I've managed to create one on my kids machine but not
>mine, could it be that i have Winrar installed on my that
>is conflicting with the create compressed folder option..?
>
>Many thanks.....

John,

Read this KB article :

HOW TO: Use Compressed (Zipped) Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306531

Regards,

Paul Lynch
MCSE

Paul Lynch

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:45:42 -0800, "Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Have you seen the problem where you don't have the security tab on a folder
>even though the drive is NTFS??
>In this case you can't set the permissions. I have seen that problem on a
>couple of computers that were XP Pro but didn't have an answer.
>One was a workgroups computer, the other was a member of a domain.
>Thanks,
>Glenn

Glenn,

Simple File Sharing is the default setting on all Windows XP machines
that are not part of a domain. It is also the only setting on XP Home:

"In Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional, if working in
a workgroup, the Security tab is hidden by default. This behavior
occurs because in Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional,
guests are forced to log on to a workgroup"

How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed in a
Workgroup
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290403

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared
Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307874

Regards,

Paul Lynch