Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Netgear WG311v3 Wizard - how do I stop it at startup?

Netgear WG311v3 Wizard - how do I stop it at startup?

timmons

After I upgraded the software for my WG311 wireless card (to 1.1 from
the original software that came with it), the "Smart Wizard" pops up at
startup. This is the tool used to configure the network settings.

The previous version of the Netgear software did not have the Wizard
appear at startup. The computer in question is used by my loose-cannon
kids, and the last thing in the world I'd want is for them to start
playing around and muck up the configuration settings.

I've been corresponding with Netgear "technical support" - if that's
what they want to call themselves - for a week now trying to get the
simple question answered and they're unable to.

The Wizard would stay closed at startup prior to 1.1, and this seems
like the logical approach (why, after all, on a desktop computer, would
you want to tinker with the network settings every time you start?). So
how do I have my card connect to my wireless network on startup, but
keep the Network Wizard from becoming an active window?

This is in Windows 2000 if that matters.

philo

"timmons" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After I upgraded the software for my WG311 wireless card (to 1.1 from
> the original software that came with it), the "Smart Wizard" pops up at
> startup. This is the tool used to configure the network settings.
>
> The previous version of the Netgear software did not have the Wizard
> appear at startup. The computer in question is used by my loose-cannon
> kids, and the last thing in the world I'd want is for them to start
> playing around and muck up the configuration settings.

<snip>

There surely must be an option the run the "wizard"

then *save* your settings....

If not...then I'd uninstall the device completely
and reinstall the original driver which presumably works!

timmons

In article <4580ba79$0$15493$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There surely must be an option the run the "wizard"
>
> then *save* your settings....
>
> If not...then I'd uninstall the device completely
> and reinstall the original driver which presumably works!

Nope. The wizard launches at every startup and stays maximized until
closed. According to Netgear technical support, my only option is to
remove the Wizard from the startup items, then, each time I start the
computer, manually connect to the internet. Crummy or what?

I lost my original installation disk, with the original driver. So I'm
stuck with the current version.

Jeff Liebermann

timmons <(E-Mail Removed)> hath wroth:

>After I upgraded the software for my WG311 wireless card (to 1.1 from
>the original software that came with it), the "Smart Wizard" pops up at
>startup. This is the tool used to configure the network settings.
>
>The previous version of the Netgear software did not have the Wizard
>appear at startup. The computer in question is used by my loose-cannon
>kids, and the last thing in the world I'd want is for them to start
>playing around and muck up the configuration settings.

Download and install Startup Inspector for Windoze from:
http://www.windowsstartup.com
It's free. Run it and see if the Netgear client manager is started
with any weird options after the executeable. I don't have a machine
with a Netgear wireless card installed to check how the line is
suppose to look.

--
Jeff Liebermann http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

philo

> Nope. The wizard launches at every startup and stays maximized until
> closed. According to Netgear technical support, my only option is to
> remove the Wizard from the startup items, then, each time I start the
> computer, manually connect to the internet. Crummy or what?
>
> I lost my original installation disk, with the original driver. So I'm
> stuck with the current version.

unless netgear still has it on their site...

if not try www.driverguide.com

as they *might* have the original driver