Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Creating an empty file from WinXP command prompt

Creating an empty file from WinXP command prompt

Jack B. Pollack

Can someone remind me what the WinXP command to create an empty file of X
size is from the command prompt?

Thanks

Evan Platt

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:38:12 GMT, "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can someone remind me what the WinXP command to create an empty file of X
>size is from the command prompt?

From http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=7400 :

If you have the need to create a file of a specific size, and don't
care about the contents, Windows XP, and greater (Windows NT 5.1+),
has the fsutil.exe command-line tool.

The syntax for using fsutil.exe to create a new file is:

fsutil file createnew FileName Size

where FileName is the name of the file, such as test.txt, or
c:\folder\test.doc, and Size is the size of the file in bytes.

NOTE: This is useful when an old install program fails because too
much freespace causes its' freespace calculation to overflow.

Jack B. Pollack

Thanks

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:38:12 GMT, "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Can someone remind me what the WinXP command to create an empty file of X
> >size is from the command prompt?

> From http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=7400 :
>

> If you have the need to create a file of a specific size, and don't
> care about the contents, Windows XP, and greater (Windows NT 5.1+),
> has the fsutil.exe command-line tool.
>
> The syntax for using fsutil.exe to create a new file is:
>
> fsutil file createnew FileName Size
>
> where FileName is the name of the file, such as test.txt, or
> c:\folder\test.doc, and Size is the size of the file in bytes.
>
> NOTE: This is useful when an old install program fails because too
> much freespace causes its' freespace calculation to overflow.

Spuds

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:38:12 GMT, "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can someone remind me what the WinXP command to create an empty file of X
>size is from the command prompt?
>
>Thanks

To create a zero byte file from the command prompt:

"type wank.txt >x.txt"

Assuming (1) wank.txt does not exist, and (2) x.txt is the name of the output
file.

Ignore this message: "The system cannot find the file specified."
the output file will still be there.

--

"If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...

- Nick DiPaolo

Tester

wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:38:12 GMT, "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Can someone remind me what the WinXP command to create an empty file of X
>>size is from the command prompt?
>>
>>Thanks

>To create a zero byte file from the command prompt:
>
>"type wank.txt >x.txt"

C:\>copy nul zzzz.txt
1 file(s) copied.

C:\>dir zzzz.txt