Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > One Or Two Programs Downloaded When There Are 2 Users ?

One Or Two Programs Downloaded When There Are 2 Users ?

Robert11

Hello:

Running Xp.
Have two users set up; each one clicks on their own icon to get started.

Question: For downloaded programs like Firefox, e.g., is it just one
program that is downloaded to the PC, or is there a separate, full, program
for each of the users ?

If only one program, how does the program manage the different options that
each user undoubtedly has ?

Thanks,
Bob

Evan Platt

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:55:44 -0500, "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello:
>
>Running Xp.
>Have two users set up; each one clicks on their own icon to get started.
>
>Question: For downloaded programs like Firefox, e.g., is it just one
>program that is downloaded to the PC, or is there a separate, full, program
>for each of the users ?
>
>If only one program, how does the program manage the different options that
>each user undoubtedly has ?

One program.

Any program that has different options for different users uses either
the registry or a directory to keep separate options / files /
settings for each user.

pcbutts1

Each user has their own Profile. That profile stores only their settings.

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello:
>
> Running Xp.
> Have two users set up; each one clicks on their own icon to get started.
>
> Question: For downloaded programs like Firefox, e.g., is it just one
> program that is downloaded to the PC, or is there a separate, full,
> program for each of the users ?
>
> If only one program, how does the program manage the different options
> that each user undoubtedly has ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Walter Mautner

Robert11 wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Running Xp.
> Have two users set up; each one clicks on their own icon to get started.
>
> Question: For downloaded programs like Firefox, e.g., is it just one
> program that is downloaded to the PC, or is there a separate, full,
> program for each of the users ?
>
> If only one program, how does the program manage the different options
> that each user undoubtedly has ?

You can have it both ways:
Some programs install into your local path (documents and settings/username)
when started as non-admin user, and have to be installed per-user. Their
registry settings then go to HKCU, autostart entries as well to your own
autostart folder.
They may behave differently when being installed as admin, where they go
into the system folders (program files, %windir/system32 and so on) but
still store user preferences in your private documents and settings path.
Most programs, however, can only be installed globally as admin, because
they have to/want to write/exchange global system files, dlls, drivers,
global HKLM registry entries and autostarts.
Except from very old legacy programs which globally use the program folder,
these will still use user preference paths and/or HKCU registry entries for
customisation.