Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Thunderbird has problems....

Thunderbird has problems....

cynagen@gmail.com

Ok... Here's the deal. I changed one of my customers over from Netscape
mail client to Thunderbird, and right away we had some troubles with
opening up any mail at all that was in the inbox. I assumed this was
because the customer had left almost 20,000 emails in her inbox and
didn't do anything with them. Fine and dandy if the application has
time to adjust as the size gets bigger, but because we had moved so
suddenly, thunderbird didn't stand a chance. Now we've fixed the
unreadable until we restart thunderbird, then we can click on them and
view the contents. Has anyone seen anything like this or encountered
any problem similar and come up with a fix to it? I'm grasping at air
here trying compacting fixes, settings fixes, even redoing the inbox
entirely fixes, still nothing.

-Pulling my greying hair out in handfuls now,
Cynagen

x@y

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Ok... Here's the deal. I changed one of my customers over from Netscape
> mail client to Thunderbird, and right away we had some troubles with
> opening up any mail at all that was in the inbox. I assumed this was
> because the customer had left almost 20,000 emails in her inbox and
> didn't do anything with them. Fine and dandy if the application has
> time to adjust as the size gets bigger, but because we had moved so
> suddenly, thunderbird didn't stand a chance. Now we've fixed the
> unreadable until we restart thunderbird, then we can click on them and
> view the contents. Has anyone seen anything like this or encountered
> any problem similar and come up with a fix to it? I'm grasping at air
> here trying compacting fixes, settings fixes, even redoing the inbox
> entirely fixes, still nothing.
>
> -Pulling my greying hair out in handfuls now,
> Cynagen

Hello Cynagen,

Try here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/support/

You might find a solution, if not I suggest You contact,
Support they may have an Answer on why this is happening.

Good Luck, x@y

Mike Easter

> Ok... Here's the deal. I changed one of my customers over from
> Netscape mail client to Thunderbird, and right away we had some
> troubles with opening up any mail at all that was in the inbox. I
> assumed this was because the customer had left almost 20,000 emails
> in her inbox and didn't do anything with them.

Any mailuser agent including Tbird is acting as a database app; any
database app is going to have trouble with 'bulky' files.

Tbird's file management for its email is to store the files in mbox
format, which is simple long text files, uncompressed and which text
file also contains all of the previously deleted files unless the
folder/file has been compacted. Tbird doesn't do any automatic
compacting, unlike OE, depending upon OE's configuration.

> Fine and dandy if the
> application has time to adjust as the size gets bigger, but because
> we had moved so suddenly, thunderbird didn't stand a chance. Now
> we've fixed the loading of any email, but brand new emails that just
> came in, are still unreadable until we restart thunderbird, then we
> can click on them and view the contents.

You didn't say what you did to correct the problem of the unwieldy inbox
file.

> Has anyone seen anything
> like this or encountered any problem similar and come up with a fix
> to it? I'm grasping at air here trying compacting fixes, settings
> fixes, even redoing the inbox entirely fixes, still nothing.

First, I would get all of that mail out of the inbox into some other
folder/s. If that has been done and there is still corruption afoot, I
think I would either remove and replace the email account or create
another identity.

--
Mike Easter