Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NEC DVD Disk Drive Not Recognizing Inserted Disks

NEC DVD Disk Drive Not Recognizing Inserted Disks

TrickTrash

I have had an NEC 4550 DVD writer for 6 months or so that's never given me
any problems until recently.

It won't recognize some of the disks I insert and I can't pin down what's
causing it. I get a monthly magazine which has a dual sided DVD Cover Disk
and on the A side -which is mostly applications- it won't read any data on
the disk, but I can open the volume in Explorer, which -strangely- it shows
as an empty folder. On the B side -which is mostly game demos- it will
recognize the disk and autorun. I can't see enough of a difference between
the 2 sides to see what might be causing it. The interface is presented as
a Macromedia Projector Exe

At first I thought it was a problem with the production of the disk but now
I've come to suspect that it's something between the OS and the Disk itself,
some driver or program or something. I'm able to watch, rip and burn all
kinds of DVD's & CD's without any problems, but nothing I can think of to
try or application to use to access any of the data on the A side of the
recent Cover Disk's works. It also seems to be somewhat choosy, in that it
sometimes does recognize a disk, although never one it has previously failed
to recognize.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Bigbri

"TrickTrash" <guardclone-newz +removethis+ @yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have had an NEC 4550 DVD writer for 6 months or so that's never given me
> any problems until recently.
>
> It won't recognize some of the disks I insert and I can't pin down what's
> causing it. I get a monthly magazine which has a dual sided DVD Cover
> Disk
> and on the A side -which is mostly applications- it won't read any data on
> the disk, but I can open the volume in Explorer, which -strangely- it
> shows
> as an empty folder. On the B side -which is mostly game demos- it will
> recognize the disk and autorun. I can't see enough of a difference
> between
> the 2 sides to see what might be causing it. The interface is presented
> as
> a Macromedia Projector Exe
>
> At first I thought it was a problem with the production of the disk but
> now
> I've come to suspect that it's something between the OS and the Disk
> itself,
> some driver or program or something. I'm able to watch, rip and burn all
> kinds of DVD's & CD's without any problems, but nothing I can think of to
> try or application to use to access any of the data on the A side of the
> recent Cover Disk's works. It also seems to be somewhat choosy, in that
> it
> sometimes does recognize a disk, although never one it has previously
> failed
> to recognize.
>
> Anyone have any ideas ?
>clean your drive

TrickTrash

Done that already

news:ABdfh.93845$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"TrickTrash" <guardclone-newz +removethis+ @yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I have had an NEC 4550 DVD writer for 6 months or so that's never given me
>any problems until recently.
>
>It won't recognize some of the disks I insert and I can't pin down what's
>causing it. I get a monthly magazine which has a dual sided DVD Cover Disk
>and on the A side -which is mostly applications- it won't read any data on
>the disk, but I can open the volume in Explorer, which -strangely- it shows
>as an empty folder. On the B side -which is mostly game demos- it will
>recognize the disk and autorun. I can't see enough of a difference between
>the 2 sides to see what might be causing it. The interface is presented as
>a Macromedia Projector Exe

You might give ForceASPI a try
http://force_aspi_18.w.interia.pl/

--
http://tinyurl.com/y65rls

TrickTrash

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

Let you know.

Bye

Nick

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "TrickTrash" <guardclone-newz +removethis+ @yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I have had an NEC 4550 DVD writer for 6 months or so that's never given me
>>any problems until recently.
>>
>>It won't recognize some of the disks I insert and I can't pin down what's
>>causing it. I get a monthly magazine which has a dual sided DVD Cover
>>Disk
>>and on the A side -which is mostly applications- it won't read any data on
>>the disk, but I can open the volume in Explorer, which -strangely- it
>>shows
>>as an empty folder. On the B side -which is mostly game demos- it will
>>recognize the disk and autorun. I can't see enough of a difference
>>between
>>the 2 sides to see what might be causing it. The interface is presented
>>as
>>a Macromedia Projector Exe

> You might give ForceASPI a try
> http://force_aspi_18.w.interia.pl/
>

> --
> http://tinyurl.com/y65rls

TrickTrash

Nah,

Didn't sort it - though well worth knowing about.

Thanks Pennywise