Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > the start button on my CPU doesnt start the COMPUTER.

the start button on my CPU doesnt start the COMPUTER.

nichas

Please help me.
I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
the PowerButton on the CPU to start it. It just starts and stops ( like
the fan starts and stops, the reset and power LED's glow and go off.)
then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power button
keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.

Please suggest me what is the problem and how I can i work with it.

Gordon

nichas wrote:

> Please help me.
> I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
> the PowerButton on the CPU

The "CPU" doesn't HAVE a "start" button. CPU stands for Central Processing
Unit - ie the chip on your motherboard that does all the data processing.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Opensuse 10.1

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"nichas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Please help me.
>I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
>the PowerButton on the CPU to start it. It just starts and stops ( like
>the fan starts and stops, the reset and power LED's glow and go off.)
>then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power button
>keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.
>
>Please suggest me what is the problem and how I can i work with it.

""Power Good" (or "PowerGood", or "Power OK", or "PWR OK" and so on)
.... Until this signal is sent, the motherboard will refuse to start up
the computer."
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup...werGood-c.html

--
http://tinyurl.com/y65rls

Mike Easter

nichas wrote:
> Please help me.

If you are going to troubleshoot a hardware problem 'from the ground up'
you are going to have to give a lot more information than you have
given, and you are going to have to demonstrate a lot more insight into
what you are talking about than you have demonstrated so far.

From what you have demonstrated so far, my advice would be to return
your computer to the dealer if it is new, or to take it to a reliable
shop for troubleshooting if it has value, or to give it away if it does
not have any value [I don't really mean that], because so far you
haven't shown that you will be able to troubleshoot it on your own or to
even salvage parts from it.

> I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
> the PowerButton on the CPU to start it.

The powerbutton would be a switch on the tower case. The CPU is the
central processing unit which is on the motherboard which is inside that
case.

> It just starts and stops (
> like the fan starts and stops, the reset and power LED's glow and go
> off.) then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power
> button keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.

That certainly sounds like something which doesn't want to powerup.
Maybe the cpu fan isn't working

Naturally it makes a lot of difference if this computer is new or old or
if any work has been done on it. It also makes a lot of difference how
much you know about how a computer works and what kinds of
troubleshooting you know how to do. The fan you hear start up is likely
the case fan. There can be a number of different fans inside. An
important one is the cpu fan or cooler, which sits atop the cpu inside
the case. If the cpu fancooler doesn't work, as soon as the mobo gets
power, the cpu starts getting hot, and the system may have protection
built in to shut down the power so that you don't kill your cpu over a
bad cpu cooler -- as one example of something that can cause the poweron
poweroff effect you are describing.

> Please suggest me what is the problem and how I can i work with it.

--
Mike Easter

neil.mccooeye

Sounds like a power supply failure.

neil.mccooeye wrote:
> Sounds like a power supply failure.
> nichas wrote:
> > Please help me.
> > I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
> > the PowerButton on the CPU to start it. It just starts and stops ( like
> > the fan starts and stops, the reset and power LED's glow and go off.)
> > then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power button
> > keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.
> >
> > Please suggest me what is the problem and how I can i work with it.

Thankyou very much all of you. It has been of great help. I just
removed the RAM and other components from the slot and cleaned removed
dust.. and put them in place again and it started working. I think it
was only a loose connection problem. Thanks a lot again

Barry OGrady

On 3 Jan 2007 23:13:49 -0800, "nichas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>neil.mccooeye wrote:
>> Sounds like a power supply failure.
>> nichas wrote:
>> > Please help me.
>> > I have a problem with starting my computer. what happens is I put on
>> > the PowerButton on the CPU to start it. It just starts and stops ( like
>> > the fan starts and stops, the reset and power LED's glow and go off.)
>> > then if I keep the PowerButton pressed then the Reset and Power button
>> > keeps on flickering alternately but the computer doesnt start.
>> >
>> > Please suggest me what is the problem and how I can i work with it.

>Thankyou very much all of you. It has been of great help. I just
>removed the RAM and other components from the slot and cleaned removed
>dust.. and put them in place again and it started working. I think it
>was only a loose connection problem. Thanks a lot again

There is no start button on the cpu so you must have been pressing the heatsink.
Now it seems you discovered the power button on the system unit.
Now you need to learn how to use the keyboard and mouse.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og