Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How Can I Diagnose Then Fix Remote Desktop that Will Not Connect?

How Can I Diagnose Then Fix Remote Desktop that Will Not Connect?

Mike

We have a XP Home PC that reliably connected to our VPN server at work then
stopped
working. Others connect using VPN/RDP w/o problems and the user can
connect using PCs other than her own.
Her PC still connects to VPN w/o difficulty but will not connect using RDP.
How can I methodically diagnose then fix the problem?
Thanks,

Mike

Leythos

In article <nNJeh.349$IO5.202@trnddc01>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> We have a XP Home PC that reliably connected to our VPN server at work then
> stopped
> working. Others connect using VPN/RDP w/o problems and the user can
> connect using PCs other than her own.
> Her PC still connects to VPN w/o difficulty but will not connect using RDP.
> How can I methodically diagnose then fix the problem?
> Thanks,

Did you uncheck - Use Default Gateway in your networking settings so
that you could access your local network while using the VPN?

If you can't connect using RD through the VPN using the device name, try
the IP of the device instead of the name - also make sure that you've
not unchecked the Use Remote Gateway.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Mike

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JUJeh.2439$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <nNJeh.349$IO5.202@trnddc01>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> We have a XP Home PC that reliably connected to our VPN server at work
>> then
>> stopped
>> working. Others connect using VPN/RDP w/o problems and the user can
>> connect using PCs other than her own.
>> Her PC still connects to VPN w/o difficulty but will not connect using
>> RDP.
>> How can I methodically diagnose then fix the problem?
>> Thanks,

> Did you uncheck - Use Default Gateway in your networking settings so
> that you could access your local network while using the VPN?

Where is the Use Default Gateway? I looked in TCP/IP settings/advanced but
can't find Use Default Gateway.

> If you can't connect using RD through the VPN using the device name, try
> the IP of the device instead of the name - also make sure that you've
> not unchecked the Use Remote Gateway.

Can't ping it, but can get on the Internet and can connect to VPN fine just
can't connect using RDP.
Where can I find Use Remote Gateway?

Mike

Leythos

In article <4QKeh.526$IO5.407@trnddc01>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:JUJeh.2439$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <nNJeh.349$IO5.202@trnddc01>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> We have a XP Home PC that reliably connected to our VPN server at work
> >> then
> >> stopped
> >> working. Others connect using VPN/RDP w/o problems and the user can
> >> connect using PCs other than her own.
> >> Her PC still connects to VPN w/o difficulty but will not connect using
> >> RDP.
> >> How can I methodically diagnose then fix the problem?
> >> Thanks,

> > Did you uncheck - Use Default Gateway in your networking settings so
> > that you could access your local network while using the VPN?

> Where is the Use Default Gateway? I looked in TCP/IP settings/advanced but
> can't find Use Default Gateway.
> >
> > If you can't connect using RD through the VPN using the device name, try
> > the IP of the device instead of the name - also make sure that you've
> > not unchecked the Use Remote Gateway.

> Can't ping it, but can get on the Internet and can connect to VPN fine just
> can't connect using RDP.
> Where can I find Use Remote Gateway?

http://www.csupomona.edu/~ehelp/vpn/faq.html

Look down the page for the specific instructions.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me

Mike

Is there a Windows Forum I can go to or other resources that'll describe how
trouble a defective network connection?
http://www.csupomona.edu/~ehelp/vpn/faq.html
is good but I'm also looking for coimmands I can run to verify a NIC is
working, etc.