Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > James Kim the CNET guy who froze to death

James Kim the CNET guy who froze to death

Cheeky Bastard

I am sorry the guy died but it leaves one question to ask CNET, If he was
your tech gadget guy why didn't have a GPS with him?

Even Fred Langa brought a few on long trips to try them out. I find this a
bit ironic and so do other techies.

http://www.google.com/custom?q=GPS&c...arch=langa.com

Bet you he had a MP3 player with him though.....

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...081119464.html

When using the Yahoo Maps, MapQuest and Google Maps online services to plot
directions from Grants Pass to Gold Beach, Yahoo and MapQuest both recommend
taking the same, safer highway route, while Google suggests a shortcut
through roads that become dangerous in winter.

Barry Watzman

Perhaps he did have a GPS with him, but it wouldn't have helped.

As it turns out, what happened was that he literally came to a "fork in
the road", a valid road that would have been shown on a GPS map, and
that went where he wanted to go, so he took it. But that road is
supposed to be closed from late October until April, and there is a gate
to close the road, and it had been closed with a chain and pad lock on
the gate. Well, some vandals had cut the padlock/chain, and the gate
had swung open (or was opened by the same people who cut the
chain/padlock). So seeing a valid road that went where he wanted to go,
he took it. GPS would not have helped, it would have shown him where he
was and it would have shown the road going to where he wanted to go.
But the road is dangerous in the winter (which is why it was supposed to
have been closed), his van slid off the road and got stuck off the road
and, well, you know the rest of the story. The only thing that would
have helped him would have been a working cell phone. He had a cell
phone, but there is no cell phone coverage in the remote,
little-traveled region where all of this occured.

zwsdotcom@gmail.com

Barry Watzman wrote:

> have helped him would have been a working cell phone. He had a cell
> phone, but there is no cell phone coverage in the remote,
> little-traveled region where all of this occured.

I'm just waiting for the liberals to jump up and down and insist that
every new vehicle sold in the United States include a 406MHz PLB.

Notan

> Barry Watzman wrote:
>
> > have helped him would have been a working cell phone. He had a cell
> > phone, but there is no cell phone coverage in the remote,
> > little-traveled region where all of this occured.

> I'm just waiting for the liberals to jump up and down and insist that
> every new vehicle sold in the United States include a 406MHz PLB.

Cool option!

Notan

El Kabong

I'm holding out for WiMAX VOIP. It's popping up everywhere else in the world
but here. Could American telcos be the bottleneck?

El

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

zwsdotcom@gmail.com

Notan wrote:

> > > have helped him would have been a working cell phone. He had a cell
> > > phone, but there is no cell phone coverage in the remote,

> > I'm just waiting for the liberals to jump up and down and insist that
> > every new vehicle sold in the United States include a 406MHz PLB.

> Cool option!

Let's not forget the $0.75-in-the-dollar income tax appropriation that
would be required to fund all the false alarms.

Notan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > I'm just waiting for the liberals to jump up and down and insist that
> > > every new vehicle sold in the United States include a 406MHz PLB.

> > Cool option!

> Let's not forget the $0.75-in-the-dollar income tax appropriation that
> would be required to fund all the false alarms.

What false alarms?

You hit the button, you pay.

Notan

Richard Johnson

Mr. Kim did exactly the correct things. He waited at the break down spot.
When it became apparent that rescue was not imminent he tried to hike out.
His biggest mistake was leaving the road and trying to follow the creek.
(But, with hypothermia, you don't always think straight.) The scale on the
map was not there or not correct. He hiked 10 miles, no easy feat in the
snow and cold, thinking the small town was 4 miles away. As to gadgets, a
portable - 5 Watt CB might have assisted, had he hiked up to the top of a
hill. Other survival equipment probably should have been carried. (A
survival bag with water, food, fire making stuff, saw, rope, tarp, etc..
should be in every car along with a first aid kit. You never know what you
might encounter when away from home. Earthquake, flood, or various
emergency situation.) If we were to fault him for that, we have to fault
99% of the population.

"Cheeky Bastard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5Nteh.224$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I am sorry the guy died but it leaves one question to ask CNET, If he was
>your tech gadget guy why didn't have a GPS with him?
>
> Even Fred Langa brought a few on long trips to try them out. I find this a
> bit ironic and so do other techies.
>

> http://www.google.com/custom?q=GPS&c...arch=langa.com
>

> Bet you he had a MP3 player with him though.....
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...081119464.html
>
> When using the Yahoo Maps, MapQuest and Google Maps online services to
> plot directions from Grants Pass to Gold Beach, Yahoo and MapQuest both
> recommend taking the same, safer highway route, while Google suggests a
> shortcut through roads that become dangerous in winter.

El Kabong

I don't think (at least I hope not) anyone was faulting Mr. Kim. But a
critical evaluation of the circumstances is most certainly in order. To do
otherwise is to invite another tragedy.

This might be a good time to buy stock in OnStar. Would OnStar have saved
him? How many vehicles in America have it? Is there 100% coverage across the
country?

Just wondering.

El

> If we were to fault him for that, we have to fault 99% of the population.

Barry Watzman

I'm not sure that trying to hike out was ever the right idea. He had
minimal clothing, and only tennis shoes, in an area where the
temperatures were substantially below freezing with snow. He wasn't
going camping, it wasn't expected to be a survival situation. Most of
us don't carry survival equipment in our car.