Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Really Free News readers

Really Free News readers

David

In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
recomendations for which I would thank you all.

I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
free. Free trial yes.

I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the binaries
100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
Or are there download sites where it does live up to its name?
Haveing said that at this piont in time I'm finding FA rather comlpecated to
use after the simple opperation of OE, so an alternative genuine free
allternative might well be another answer for me.
Thanks

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

David wrote:

> In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
> recomendations for which I would thank you all.
>
> I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did
> for them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not
> really free. Free trial yes.

Some have a trial, others are totally free, and others revert to a
'free' version after a trial period with some features disabled.

> I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the
> binaries 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good. Is Free
> Agent misnamed in not being free? Or are there download sites where

It's been awhile since I looked at Agent, but as I recall it is one of
the ones that reverts to a less-featured version after the trial period.

> it does live up to its name? Haveing said that at this piont in time
> I'm finding FA rather comlpecated to use after the simple opperation
> of OE, so an alternative genuine free allternative might well be
> another answer for me.

If you find Agent too complicated ... well ... not sure what other
recommendations anyone could make. It's a good newsreader. Personally, I
prefer 40tude Dialog, http://www.40tude.com/dialog/ but you may not be
able to handle it either. You will probably find *all* good newsreaders
more "complicated" than OE.

Find a Usenet-savvy friend and invite him/her over for tea and cake.

--
-bts

thanatoid

"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:BcWdh.4550$(E-Mail Removed):

> In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given
> several recomendations for which I would thank you all.
>
> I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the
> searches I did for them lead me to various sites to
> download them, but they are not really free. Free trial
> yes.
>
> I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is
> decoding the binaries 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so
> that's good. Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
> Or are there download sites where it does live up to its
> name? Haveing said that at this piont in time I'm finding
> FA rather comlpecated to use after the simple opperation of
> OE, so an alternative genuine free allternative might well
> be another answer for me. Thanks

There are two versions of Agent, free and not free, I believe.

XNews is totally free and IMO the best of the lot but a little
complex.
GrabIt is also totally free and VERY simple to use.

--
Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

Whiskers

On 2006-12-07, David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
> recomendations for which I would thank you all.
>
> I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
> them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
> free. Free trial yes.
>
> I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the binaries
> 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
> Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
> Or are there download sites where it does live up to its name?
> Haveing said that at this piont in time I'm finding FA rather comlpecated to
> use after the simple opperation of OE, so an alternative genuine free
> allternative might well be another answer for me.
> Thanks

See <http://www.newsreaders.com/> if you haven't been there already. I
think most newsreaders are free.

"Thunderbird" seems to be a popular replacement for Outlook Express - and
is free.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Tester

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:13:37 GMT, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
>recomendations for which I would thank you all.
>
>I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
>them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
>free. Free trial yes.
>
>I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the binaries
>100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
>Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?

..
The old versions of Agent included

a) A free trial of agent
b) which would revert to free agent (fewer features) if you didn't pay

Aparently, they don't have this anymore. You might be able to get an
old copy from ftp.forteinc.com which DOES work this way.

If you DO pay for agent you get a free account at their news server
for 3 months at 7 Gigs download/month. Their free server seems to be
owned by Supernews. So at $30 with the program this might not be too
bad.

sittingduck

David wrote:

> In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
> recomendations for which I would thank you all.
>
> I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
> them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
> free. Free trial yes.
>
> I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the
> binaries 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
> Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
> Or are there download sites where it does live up to its name?

Agent is crap. Try it, but don't get stuck with it.
http://Xnews.newsguy.com
Xnews is free, and for light binary use will suit you quite well.
Some help sites:
http://www.geocities.com/d4vidb/
http://www.seegras.de/xnews/

Get the "latest" version, then overwrite the executable with the "Test"
version.

Blinky the Shark

David wrote:
> In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given several
> recomendations for which I would thank you all.
>
> I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the searches I did for
> them lead me to various sites to download them, but they are not really
> free. Free trial yes.

FREE (not trials: FREE):

Thunderbird
Xnews
Dialog

That's only a PARTIAL list; those are popular Windows free news clients that I
have installed at this time (naturally, I have others for Linux).

> I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is decoding the binaries
> 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so that's good.
> Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?

It's crippleware. After the trial you have to pay or it loses features.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Aspic

thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> XNews is totally free and IMO the best of the lot but a little
> complex.

I think Xnews is the best of the bunch. It's certainly the most stable.
I wouldn't call it complex. I found Newsrover the most difficult to use.
It was almost bizarrely unintuitive for me. Having said that, I tried
version 5 and it seems to be on 10 now. So maybe they have it all sorted
out now?

Anonymous

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:13:37 GMT, you wrote:

> I'm finding [Free Agent] rather comlpecated to use
> after the simple opperation of OE, so an alternative
> genuine free allternative might well be another answer

Yeah I know what your talking about, er, 'cause I like
a wank, you know.

I was having a wank the other night. Having a wank,
the computer was on and downloading lezby porn. Had a
toilet roll which I'd greased out, and I had my knob
in it. And, erm, I was just about to cum... and, er,
the computer choked decoding some lezby action.
Er, oh, I feel te-, I've got a migraine.

'Cause it is rare that my keyboard is not matted
with spunk, I decided to make the best of my
terrible ****ing misfortune, and find a better news-
reader. And I found it. It is called Sylpheed-Claws
and does it all -- yenc, base64, uuencode. What's more,
it is so simple you can use it one-handed.

jtrip9ball

On 07 Dec 2006 16:05:44 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:BcWdh.4550$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> In my post on problems with OE and pictures I was given
>> several recomendations for which I would thank you all.
>>
>> I decided to give the 'Free' Newsreaders ago, but the
>> searches I did for them lead me to various sites to
>> download them, but they are not really free. Free trial
>> yes.
>>
>> I've ended up with a free trial of Free Agent which is
>> decoding the binaries 100% whilst my OE did about 75% so
>> that's good. Is Free Agent misnamed in not being free?
>> Or are there download sites where it does live up to its
>> name? Haveing said that at this piont in time I'm finding
>> FA rather comlpecated to use after the simple opperation of
>> OE, so an alternative genuine free allternative might well
>> be another answer for me. Thanks
>>

>There are two versions of Agent, free and not free, I believe.
>
>XNews is totally free and IMO the best of the lot but a little
>complex.
>GrabIt is also totally free and VERY simple to use.

If Grabit is totally free, why does it always tell me "You have
reached your daily limit" after one use each day. Then if you go to
their site you can subscribe to different plans?

Do DNG readers age like RAW readers/converters?? Davy Digital Photography 1 09-29-2007 07:43 PM
Looking for a breaking news rss feed that really contains breaking news Amy XML 0 02-22-2005 06:31 PM
OT: News Readers Sharon HTML 6 02-25-2004 08:11 PM
Re: Does using Javascript really cause problems for screen readers - accessability question William Tasso HTML 1 07-18-2003 10:59 AM

Advertisments