Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Lost all my deleted items

Lost all my deleted items

caroline

WIN 98 IE 6

I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items file.

I did a scanreg and tried a previous registration but the files are nowhere
to be seen

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

caroline wrote:

> WIN 98 IE 6

...and perhaps Outlook Express? This is mail, not a browsing question.

> I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.

I would be more worried about what caused the blank screen/shutdown than
about files (email?) you already chose to delete.

> ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items
> file.

Wasn't that the original intent? If you want to *keep* email, move it
to a specific storage folder that you create.

2006Mail (or similar)

...and don't let them grow too large. A few hundred megabytes maybe.

> I did a scanreg and tried a previous registration but the files are
> nowhere to be seen

What is a "previous registration?"

Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

--
-bts

Gordon

caroline wrote:

> WIN 98 IE 6
>
> I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
> ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items file.

Oh no, not ANOTHER twit who uses the "Deleted Items" folder to KEEP things
in - the Deleted Items Folder is for things you DON'T NEED TO KEEP! If you
want to keep items, DON'T put them in the "deleted items" folder!

Doh!

Ebeneezer Ponder

Hiya caroline.

In <news:rcCdh.305$(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
> ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items file.

And that's a bad thing because..?

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
Bah humbug - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811

Walter Mautner

caroline wrote:

> WIN 98 IE 6
>
> I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.
> ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items file.

That's expected. "Deleted" items will sooner or later be permanently
deleted. You should not put anything there you don't actually want to be
deleted.

> I did a scanreg and tried a previous registration but the files are
> nowhere to be seen

"scanreg" .... win9x?
Well, that just restores a backup copy of your registry, not any files.
Also remember, mail in outlook is kept in database files with index files
(one per folder for OE, one huge *pst file for Office outlook). A
unexpected shutdown will often trigger a repair run and index rebuild, with
permanent deletion of the "deleted items" content.

thanatoid

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

In this case, ****.

> who uses the "Deleted Items" folder
> to KEEP things in - the Deleted Items Folder is for things
> you DON'T NEED TO KEEP! If you want to keep items, DON'T
> put them in the "deleted items" folder!
>
> Doh!

OP (original poster): Look up "deleted" in the dictionary.

t.

--
Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:07:11 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>caroline wrote:
>
>> WIN 98 IE 6

>..and perhaps Outlook Express? This is mail, not a browsing question.
>
>> I just had a blank screen and the PC shutdown.

>I would be more worried about what caused the blank screen/shutdown than
>about files (email?) you already chose to delete.
>
>> ON rebooting I noticed I had lost all my email from my deleted items
>> file.

>Wasn't that the original intent? If you want to *keep* email, move it
>to a specific storage folder that you create.
>
> 2006Mail (or similar)
>
>..and don't let them grow too large. A few hundred megabytes maybe.
>
>> I did a scanreg and tried a previous registration but the files are
>> nowhere to be seen

>What is a "previous registration?"
>
>Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
>http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

Oh come on, this is Caroline, who has brought us such gems as
"I am running OE5 should I get 6"
"I have NTL 4 meg broadband which is running not slow but slow slow.
What checks can I do"
"What is best? wi fi through a slot card or through the laptop USB
port."
"Does anyone know anything about the above Sony PCG 9N 1M Laptop.
Does it require a recall battery and how much RAM would it have"

thanatoid

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in news:3NCdh.159383$Fi1.94953@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

<S N I P>

> Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

Hi Mr. S.

I'm the guy who suggested you put OffByOne on your page. Having
just looked again (my memory is short) at the e-mail clients you
suggest, I noticed they are all between 5.5 and 12 MB or
something.

How about putting up a link to a POP client called nPop which is
an under 100KB DL (and an optional 540KB SSL DL) and which - IMO
- does everything anyone who does not run a business needs? The
program IS in English (or Japanese), there is no help file, and
the author speaks almost no English, but there are some links to
help if needed. Anyway, if you understand how mail works, you
should not have any problems. Oh, and by the way, death to
webmail.

http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html
http://www.npopsupport.org.uk

Regards
t.

--
Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

thanatoid

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in news:3NCdh.159383$Fi1.94953@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

<S N I P>

> Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

Hi Mr. S.

I'm the guy who suggested you put OffByOne on your page. Having
just looked again (my memory is short) at the e-mail clients you
suggest, I noticed they are all between 5.5 and 12 MB or
something.

How about putting up a link to a POP client called nPop which is
an under 100KB DL (and an optional 540KB SSL DL) and which - IMO
- does everything anyone who does not run a business needs?
There is no help file, and the author speaks almost no English,
but there are some links to help if needed. If you understand

thanatoid wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Have you tried a modern, secure email application?
>> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

> Hi Mr. S.

Hello t.

> I'm the guy who suggested you put OffByOne on your page. Having just
> looked again (my memory is short) at the e-mail clients you suggest,
> I noticed they are all between 5.5 and 12 MB or something.

...except OffByOne. <g>

> How about putting up a link to a POP client called nPop which is an
> under 100KB DL (and an optional 540KB SSL DL) and which - IMO - does
> everything anyone who does not run a business needs? The program IS
> in English (or Japanese), there is no help file, and the author
> speaks almost no English, but there are some links to help if needed.
> Anyway, if you understand how mail works, you should not have any
> problems.

> Oh, and by the way, death to webmail.

Hey! I use it when I am traveling!

> http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html
> http://www.npopsupport.org.uk

I'll think about this. Maybe English-speakers (those for whom the page
was written) may be turned away by the Japanese.

--
-bts