Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop Wattage

Laptop Wattage

Jordan Greenberg

Hey all,
I'm in the planning stages of building my laptop into my car... I'm
trying to order a power inverter to plug the thing into. Anyone have an
idea what kind of wattage I'll need? Will a 150 watt / 300 watt peak
output do it? I figured more like 300 / 600 peak would be safer (though
slightly more expensive.) This particular laptop is running a 3.2 Ghz
Pentium, with an ATI Mobility Raideon 9600 also under the hood, so it
can be a bit of a power whore.
Theres always the chance I'll put another of the boxen in varying levels
of function in the car, I haven't really made up my mind yet. This
laptop's biggest competition, however, is an old desktop with a 1.3 Ghz
Celeron and the wussiest power supply I've ever seen... I think I could
just slap a solar panel on the roof to power that thing.

Anyway, I don't think this'll have to frequently power anything other
then the computer (maybe occasional emergency cell-phone charging.)

Any ideas / suggestions greatly appreciated.
TIA.
Jordan

Walter Mautner

Jordan Greenberg wrote:

> Hey all,
> I'm in the planning stages of building my laptop into my car... I'm

Btw. ... you should be aware of the fact that car insurances refuse to pay
for damages caused by intruders, when you have visible goods apparently
worth a breakin lying inside your car.

Bucky Breeder

Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Jordan Greenberg wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>> I'm in the planning stages of building my laptop into my car... I'm

> Btw. ... you should be aware of the fact that car insurances refuse to
> pay for damages caused by intruders, when you have visible goods
> apparently worth a breakin lying inside your car.

And whereas bigger inverters create bigger heat issues, auto insurance,
especially around here, will give you fits if a fire is caused by some 3rd
party electrical accessories not professionally installed. And then they
subrogate litiagation against the professional installers...

To me boxing is like a ballet,
except there's no music,
no choreography,
and the dancers hit each other
until the loser cries like a little girl,
or does that whole go-to-sleep thing.

Some people would do anything to get out of finishing the dance.

Jordan Greenberg

Walter Mautner wrote:
> Jordan Greenberg wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>> I'm in the planning stages of building my laptop into my car... I'm

> Btw. ... you should be aware of the fact that car insurances refuse to pay
> for damages caused by intruders, when you have visible goods apparently
> worth a breakin lying inside your car.

Yeah, I have previous experiences with that particular little rule...
over the $150 pool cue in the car... that they didn't even steal... I'm
not with that insurance company anymore, lets hope these guys are less
evil. (If non-evil insurance is even possible)

Hopefully, it won't be visible, at all. The laptop & inverter'll go in
the trunk, and (once it actually comes in the mail) I'm gonna try and
build a mount so the touchscreen is removable, so I can take it with me
or at least stash it in the glove box.

Thanks for the advice.
Jordan Greenberg