Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing new C: drive

Installing new C: drive

Jack Jernigan

How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
reinstall the OS?

why?

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:03:28 GMT, Jack Jernigan wrote:

>How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
>reinstall the OS?

Explain.

Why do you want a new C

C: Is a drive letter, an historic issue, usually the 1st active primary
partition. Doesn't need to be Windows, other older OS'es used C: as
well.

Do you mean a new hardisk?

Me

Alf

"Jack Jernigan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
> reinstall the OS?

Fit it as a slave to the original one, use Norton Ghost to copy one drive to
the other, then set it as a master again. Job done!

Alf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:03:28 GMT, Jack Jernigan wrote:
>

>>How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
>>reinstall the OS?

> Explain.
>
> Why do you want a new C
>
> C: Is a drive letter, an historic issue, usually the 1st active primary
> partition. Doesn't need to be Windows, other older OS'es used C: as
> well.
>
> Do you mean a new hardisk?
>
> Me

What an idiot - if you can't answer the question and want to just test your
news reader try a different group called alt.test

John Holmes

Alf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:03:28 GMT, Jack Jernigan wrote:
>>

>>>How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
>>>reinstall the OS?

>> Explain.
>>
>> Why do you want a new C
>>
>> C: Is a drive letter, an historic issue, usually the 1st active
>> primary partition. Doesn't need to be Windows, other older OS'es used
>> C: as well.
>>
>> Do you mean a new hardisk?
>>
>> Me

> What an idiot - if you can't answer the question and want to just test
> your news reader try a different group called alt.test

You are a fiend and a coward, and you have bad breath. You are
degenerate, noxious and depraved. I feel debased just for knowing you
exist. I despise everything about you. You are a bloody nardless newbie
twit protohominid chromosomally aberrant caricature of a coprophagic
cloacal parasitic pond scum. and I wish you would go away.

--
You unbelievable drip of dirty rotting vegetation.

John Holmes

Alf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "Jack Jernigan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
>> reinstall the OS?

> Fit it as a slave to the original one, use Norton Ghost to copy one
> drive to the other, then set it as a master again. Job done!

You're so stupid, you gave your uncle a blowjob 'cause he said it'd help
his dole benefits.

--
You pea-brained flob of ancient shark snot.

Null

Jack Jernigan wrote:
> How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
> reinstall the OS?

Slave the drives together and use a partition manager to copy the
bootable partition to the new drive. I use the one from here

www.paragon-software.com

You might have to re-activate windows after you boot up on the new drive.

dadiOH

Jack Jernigan wrote:
> How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
> reinstall the OS?

As a few hinted, you basically copy the old to the new; however, there
is no need to "ghost/image" the old to the new if you make the new one
bootable before copying. If you are familiar with DOS it has the tools
to do that. If not, a utility for doing what you want to do is
generally included when you purchase a HD. If not included, you can
download it at the drive manufacturer's site.

So...
1. Install new drive as slave
2. Assure it is bootable
3. Copy existing drive to it
4. Remove new drive
5. Install new drive as master on the primary drive channel.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Walter Mautner

Jack Jernigan wrote:

> How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
> reinstall the OS?

Ghost it, or let the clerks at the computer shop do it (bring in both
harddrives or buy one there, you do not need to carry the computer).

Walter Mautner

dadiOH wrote:

> Jack Jernigan wrote:
>> How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
>> reinstall the OS?

> As a few hinted, you basically copy the old to the new; however, there
> is no need to "ghost/image" the old to the new if you make the new one
> bootable before copying. If you are familiar with DOS it has the tools
> to do that. If not, a utility for doing what you want to do is
> generally included when you purchase a HD. If not included, you can
> download it at the drive manufacturer's site.

Most users who ask that question (and not in a linux group) these days do
have some sort of winXP, with default ntfs format. No luck with plain DOS,
it would just complicate things.
For XP, that would need copying from a 2nd ntfs-aware (r+w) OS, which again
is windows - and then will refuse to copy a lot of "open" files (when it
cannot distinguish it's own files from the files-to-copy, or "by design" to
prohibit lame copy-attempts, who knows ..). And then, recovery console to
fixboot etc. - with most "recovery cds" not capable of that, as they are
basically just ghost images with a script.
After saying that, "ghosting" with dd from a linux liveCD (does not need the
ntfs rw drivers) can be a cheap solution as well.