Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Non-wireless router and wireless peer to peer network

Non-wireless router and wireless peer to peer network

Googs

At the moment, i have a Freecom FSG-3 storage gateway which i use as an
internet router and storage server. I have two winXP computers plugged
into the router using an ethernet connection and they're all fixed up
so that they run on a network and can exchange files between computers
as well as the server. the internet connection is plugged into the
router and shares the connection to the computers.

what i want to do is throw a winXP laptop into the equation, where the
laptop is able to connect to one of the pc's via a peer to peer
wireless connection (has to be peer to peer as there's no wireless
router, correct?), be able to access the files on the computer it's
wirelessly connected to, as well as access files on the other winXP
computer that is on the network, share the internet connection from the
router and files from the server.

is this even possible or do i need to dump my storage gateway and get a
wireless one? i can't make the storage gateway wireless in any way can
i?

thanks

Bucky Breeder

"Googs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1165256033.018857.93200
@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> At the moment, i have a Freecom FSG-3 storage gateway which i use as an
> internet router and storage server. I have two winXP computers plugged
> into the router using an ethernet connection and they're all fixed up
> so that they run on a network and can exchange files between computers
> as well as the server. the internet connection is plugged into the
> router and shares the connection to the computers.
>
> what i want to do is throw a winXP laptop into the equation, where the
> laptop is able to connect to one of the pc's via a peer to peer
> wireless connection (has to be peer to peer as there's no wireless
> router, correct?), be able to access the files on the computer it's
> wirelessly connected to, as well as access files on the other winXP
> computer that is on the network, share the internet connection from the
> router and files from the server.
>
> is this even possible or do i need to dump my storage gateway and get a
> wireless one? i can't make the storage gateway wireless in any way can
> i?
>
> thanks

You could get a Wireless Access Point (WAP) probably pretty cheap, which
could plug into one of your FSG-3's spare ethernet ports.

The WAP acts like an antenna and an access filter.

Is one of your PC's already equipped with a wireless card? If not, to get
the notebook talking to a PC wirelessly, you'd have to purchase a wireless
device anyway.

FYI, I had a Linksys WAP hooked up to a Linksys (wired) router via 100 ft.
ethernet cable, and had the WAP placed way to the back of the house, up in
the attic, away from my actual router's location, so my range was awesome.
Now I just use a regular wired/wireless router combo.

Instead of raising your hand to ask a question in class;
how about individual pushbuttons on each desk?
That way, when you want to ask a question,
you just push the button and it lights up a corresponding number
on a tote board at the front of the class.
Then all the professor has to do is check the lighted number
against a master sheet of names to see who is asking the question.

Googs

Bucky Breeder wrote:
> "Googs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1165256033.018857.93200
> @f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > At the moment, i have a Freecom FSG-3 storage gateway which i use as an
> > internet router and storage server. I have two winXP computers plugged
> > into the router using an ethernet connection and they're all fixed up
> > so that they run on a network and can exchange files between computers
> > as well as the server. the internet connection is plugged into the
> > router and shares the connection to the computers.
> >
> > what i want to do is throw a winXP laptop into the equation, where the
> > laptop is able to connect to one of the pc's via a peer to peer
> > wireless connection (has to be peer to peer as there's no wireless
> > router, correct?), be able to access the files on the computer it's
> > wirelessly connected to, as well as access files on the other winXP
> > computer that is on the network, share the internet connection from the
> > router and files from the server.
> >
> > is this even possible or do i need to dump my storage gateway and get a
> > wireless one? i can't make the storage gateway wireless in any way can
> > i?
> >
> > thanks

> You could get a Wireless Access Point (WAP) probably pretty cheap, which
> could plug into one of your FSG-3's spare ethernet ports.

Firstly, thanks for your response.

Something like the Linksys Wireless-G Access Point? At the moment the
FSG has an ethernet lead plugged into the WAN port which is the
broadband, two of the LAN ports are taken by the two computers, so the
WAP would plug into the third?

> The WAP acts like an antenna and an access filter.

We're soon going to move and i'm going to be accessing the internet
wirelessly. Would it be better to configure each computer separately to
the wireless internet connection, or would it be better to have a
single internet connection picked up by the WAP connected to the FSG
and pass it along to the other computers connected to the FSG? Is it
even possible for the WAP to provide an internet connection it picks up
wirelessly to the FSG? With the WAP in place, can i also set up the
laptop to access it as storage wirelessly (the FSG acts as another
drive for the two PC's that connect to it).

> Is one of your PC's already equipped with a wireless card? If not, to get
> the notebook talking to a PC wirelessly, you'd have to purchase a wireless
> device anyway.

Both PC's have wireless cards, not sure on what standards, but they're
only a year old. The laptop also has a wireless card. I'd prefer to
stick to accessing the FSG via a wired connection on the PC's but want
to access it wirelessly via the laptop.

Bucky Breeder

"Googs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1165310622.132096.152790
@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

> Bucky Breeder wrote:
>> "Googs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1165256033.018857.93200
>> @f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > At the moment, i have a Freecom FSG-3 storage gateway which i use as

an
>> > internet router and storage server. I have two winXP computers plugged
>> > into the router using an ethernet connection and they're all fixed up
>> > so that they run on a network and can exchange files between computers
>> > as well as the server. the internet connection is plugged into the
>> > router and shares the connection to the computers.
>> >
>> > what i want to do is throw a winXP laptop into the equation, where the
>> > laptop is able to connect to one of the pc's via a peer to peer
>> > wireless connection (has to be peer to peer as there's no wireless
>> > router, correct?), be able to access the files on the computer it's
>> > wirelessly connected to, as well as access files on the other winXP
>> > computer that is on the network, share the internet connection from

the
>> > router and files from the server.
>> >
>> > is this even possible or do i need to dump my storage gateway and get

>> > wireless one? i can't make the storage gateway wireless in any way can
>> > i?
>> >
>> > thanks

>> You could get a Wireless Access Point (WAP) probably pretty cheap, which
>> could plug into one of your FSG-3's spare ethernet ports.

> Firstly, thanks for your response.
>
> Something like the Linksys Wireless-G Access Point? At the moment the
> FSG has an ethernet lead plugged into the WAN port which is the
> broadband, two of the LAN ports are taken by the two computers, so the
> WAP would plug into the third?
>
>> The WAP acts like an antenna and an access filter.

> We're soon going to move and i'm going to be accessing the internet
> wirelessly. Would it be better to configure each computer separately to
> the wireless internet connection, or would it be better to have a
> single internet connection picked up by the WAP connected to the FSG
> and pass it along to the other computers connected to the FSG? Is it
> even possible for the WAP to provide an internet connection it picks up
> wirelessly to the FSG? With the WAP in place, can i also set up the
> laptop to access it as storage wirelessly (the FSG acts as another
> drive for the two PC's that connect to it).
>
>> Is one of your PC's already equipped with a wireless card? If not, to

get
>> the notebook talking to a PC wirelessly, you'd have to purchase a

wireless
>> device anyway.

> Both PC's have wireless cards, not sure on what standards, but they're
> only a year old. The laptop also has a wireless card. I'd prefer to
> stick to accessing the FSG via a wired connection on the PC's but want
> to access it wirelessly via the laptop.

You have many options. Which is "better" is entirely up to you.

"Why, a four-year-old child could understand this.
Run out and find me a four-year-old child;
I can't make head or tail out of it!"

-- Groucho Marx, 'Duck Soup' (1933)