Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Normalizing mp3's. What do you use?

Reply
Thread Tools

Normalizing mp3's. What do you use?

 
 
JohnF
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2006
What do you guys use to normalizing mp3's?
I save my files to a USB flash drive to play on an FM broadcaster at
our camp in the desert but the volume levels vary so much it's a pain.

TIA

JohnF


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bucky Breeder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2006
JohnF <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What do you guys use to normalizing mp3's?
> I save my files to a USB flash drive to play on an FM broadcaster at
> our camp in the desert but the volume levels vary so much it's a pain.
>
> TIA
>
> JohnF





http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/index.php


Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous holiday season.

--

Instead of raising your hand to ask a question in class;
how about individual pushbuttons on each desk?
That way, when you want to ask a question,
you just push the button and it lights up a corresponding number
on a tote board at the front of the class.
Then all the professor has to do is check the lighted number
against a master sheet of names to see who is asking the question.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2006

"JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What do you guys use to normalizing mp3's?
> I save my files to a USB flash drive to play on an FM broadcaster at
> our camp in the desert but the volume levels vary so much it's a pain.
>
> TIA
>
> JohnF
>
>

It is easier to fit a compressor/limiter to the transmitter audio input. Or
use Sound Solution if playing MP3 files through it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2006
JohnF <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What do you guys use to normalizing mp3's?
> I save my files to a USB flash drive to play on an FM
> broadcaster at our camp in the desert but the volume levels
> vary so much it's a pain.
>
> TIA
>
> JohnF
>
>


Everybody always recommends mp3gain. I've tried it and it did
not impress me. mpTrim RULES. (It used to be called mp3Trim.)
There is a Pro version, it's expensive, but WELL worth it IMO.

http://www.mptrim.com/

--
Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
don ward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2006
All a "normalizing" function does it bring the loudest peaks to "0" or
some other defined peak level. It will do nothing about leveling the
difference between the loudest and softest music... whats soft will stay
soft and loud will be loud...
What you can do is split the files into individual tracks and
"normalize" each track that way all the loudest passages will be the
same.
Or use something like Enhanced Audio DC6 which has a compression
function where yo ucan level out the music so it is more or less even.
Hope this helps

dnw
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frosty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:21:22 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
sat on JohnF <(E-Mail Removed)>'s chest like a vulture, I
said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you
can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:

>What do you guys use to normalizing mp3's?
>I save my files to a USB flash drive to play on an FM broadcaster at
>our camp in the desert but the volume levels vary so much it's a pain.
>
>TIA
>
>JohnF
>

I don't normalize.
I just put the playback volume levels to 10 and go with it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
semi-one
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 23:07:11 -0500, Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:21:22 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
>sat on JohnF <(E-Mail Removed)>'s chest like a vulture, I
>said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you
>can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
>
>>What do you guys use to normalizing mp3's?
>>I save my files to a USB flash drive to play on an FM broadcaster at
>>our camp in the desert but the volume levels vary so much it's a pain.
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>JohnF
>>

>I don't normalize.
>I just put the playback volume levels to 10 and go with it.



Try this:
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
It's a great program.

Regards
 
Reply With Quote
 
George
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
semi-one wrote:
:: On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 23:07:11 -0500, Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)>
:: wrote:
::
::: On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:21:22 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
::: sat on JohnF <(E-Mail Removed)>'s chest like a vulture, I
::: said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you
::: can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
:::
:::: What do you guys use to normalizing mp3's?
:::: I save my files to a USB flash drive to play on an FM broadcaster
:::: at our camp in the desert but the volume levels vary so much it's
:::: a pain.
::::
:::: TIA
::::
:::: JohnF
::::
::: I don't normalize.
::: I just put the playback volume levels to 10 and go with it.
::
::
:: Try this:
:: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
:: It's a great program.
::
:: Regards

I use jet audio.


 
Reply With Quote
 
JohnF
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2006

Got it, used it, works great
Thanks Bucky

JohnF




On 04 Dec 2006 17:28:49 GMT, Bucky Breeder
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>JohnF <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> What do you guys use to normalizing mp3's?
>> I save my files to a USB flash drive to play on an FM broadcaster at
>> our camp in the desert but the volume levels vary so much it's a pain.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> JohnF

>
>
>
>
> http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/index.php
>
>
>Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous holiday season.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bucky Breeder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2006
>>JohnF <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> What do you guys use to normalizing mp3's?
>>> I save my files to a USB flash drive to play
>>> on an FM broadcaster at our camp in the desert
>>> but the volume levels vary so much it's a pain.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> JohnF



> On 04 Dec 2006 17:28:49 GMT, "Bucky Breeder" wrote:
>
>> http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/index.php



JohnF <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> Got it, used it, works great
> Thanks Bucky
>
> JohnF



Props out to the folks at MP3Gain!

Thank you for the feedback.
Don't you just love it when the
free stuff actually works good? (o:


Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous holiday season.

--

If someone told me it wasn't "fashionable" to talk about certain things,
I think I'd just have to look him square in the eye and say,
"Okay, THEN YOU TELL ME what's 'fashionable'."

Oh, but he won't. And do you know why?
Because you can't effectively ask someone "What's fashionable"
in a smart-alecky way like that.

You have to smile, be really friendly and say,
"By the way then, just what is fashionable?"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XSLT: Normalizing namespaces Thomas Wittek XML 5 08-31-2007 12:16 PM
What is normalizing in XML? sivasu.india@gmail.com Java 1 04-09-2007 09:38 PM
Normalizing XHTML with XML Ryan Stewart XML 3 05-11-2006 04:42 PM
Method for normalizing URL? Chris Java 6 01-12-2005 05:38 AM
Normalizing tm structure past 2038 Stu C Programming 5 11-01-2003 07:49 AM



Advertisments