Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Disk Recovery

Hard Disk Recovery

Mike

If I had two HDD of the same make and model, could I swap the hard disks
without loosing all the data on that disk ? I litterally mean take the disk
out of the drive and fit it into the other drive.

Jerry Attic

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If I had two HDD of the same make and model, could I swap the hard
> disks without loosing all the data on that disk ? I litterally mean
> take the disk out of the drive and fit it into the other drive.

No, because these hard drives sre made under such tight technical specs
that removing the disk(s) from the hard drive casing would destroy it.
That's why it's so expensive to recover data from a hard drive that's gone
tits up. You have to do it under clean room conditions and have special
hard ware to do it.

B.B. Bawles

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> If I had two HDD of the same make and model, could I swap the hard disks
> without loosing all the data on that disk ? I litterally mean take the
> disk
> out of the drive and fit it into the other drive.

Just data - secondary drive or further down, switch to anywhere, yes. If
having OS, switching around in same system or to another machine, no - not
without further working on it.

Walter Mautner

Mike wrote:

> If I had two HDD of the same make and model, could I swap the hard disks
> without loosing all the data on that disk ? I litterally mean take the
> disk out of the drive and fit it into the other drive.

You mean taking out the plattern(s)?
Unfortunately no chance - you would have to engage a data rescue business
with cleanroom labs and all the equipment.
Sometimes if just the electronics on your drive gone bad, there is a chance
to exchange that one without opening the sealed plattern cage.

Mike

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike wrote:
>

> > If I had two HDD of the same make and model, could I swap the hard disks
> > without loosing all the data on that disk ? I litterally mean take the
> > disk out of the drive and fit it into the other drive.

> You mean taking out the plattern(s)?
> Unfortunately no chance - you would have to engage a data rescue business
> with cleanroom labs and all the equipment.
> Sometimes if just the electronics on your drive gone bad, there is a

chance
> to exchange that one without opening the sealed plattern cage.
> --

Thanks for all the various answers.

So all data is stored on the plattern (I am presuming this is the name for
the highly polished disk inside the drive) and there is no other storage of
data, such as flash memory elsewhere within the hard drive casing.

So theoretically, (taking care not to spill any lager or crisps within the
casing) swapping the disks over would work providing the problem is within
the electronics and not with the disk itself.

When HDDs go wrong, what is the main cause, electronics or the disk?

The reason i ask, I lost the HDD on an old machine, nothing important lost,
however i would like to recover a couple of files that were not backed up,
not willing to spend any real money though, 20 tops. Plenty of drives of
same spec available on ebay for a fiver, so, is it worth a go?

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mike wrote:
> >

> > > If I had two HDD of the same make and model, could I swap the hard

disks
> > > without loosing all the data on that disk ? I litterally mean take the
> > > disk out of the drive and fit it into the other drive.

> > You mean taking out the plattern(s)?
> > Unfortunately no chance - you would have to engage a data rescue

business
> > with cleanroom labs and all the equipment.
> > Sometimes if just the electronics on your drive gone bad, there is a

> chance
> > to exchange that one without opening the sealed plattern cage.
> > --

> Thanks for all the various answers.
>
> So all data is stored on the plattern (I am presuming this is the name for
> the highly polished disk inside the drive) and there is no other storage

of
> data, such as flash memory elsewhere within the hard drive casing.

That's better known as a "platter".

And, actually, yes there is some flash memory on the electronics
that store the info about where the bad spots are on the platters so that
the electronics can map around them so that the computer doesn't see them.

> So theoretically, (taking care not to spill any lager or crisps within the
> casing) swapping the disks over would work providing the problem is within
> the electronics and not with the disk itself.

Why do that much work? And besides, the head gap is so small - even
just atmospheric dust and your fingerprint oil will damage the head when it
goes whipping by.

Can I ask a really silly question? Why not just swap the
electronics? That's outside the HD enclosure, doesn't expose the
mechanicals to the crap in the air, and is much easier. Plus, you don't
have to worry about the alignment of the head to the platters to get it back
running!

> When HDDs go wrong, what is the main cause, electronics or the disk?

Usually? Stupid users. Past that, just age causing the platters to
start failing.

> The reason i ask, I lost the HDD on an old machine, nothing important

lost,
> however i would like to recover a couple of files that were not backed up,
> not willing to spend any real money though, 20 tops. Plenty of drives of
> same spec available on ebay for a fiver, so, is it worth a go?

Nope. Google sometimes for how small the head height is while
flying in operation, and compare it to, say, a human hair. Then do the
math - see how thick the tracks actually are, and how accurate you'd need to
be in putting them back together.

THAT said - if actually totally destroying that data isn't that big
a deal, go for it! Never can learn until you try!

RwP

Walter Mautner

Mike wrote:
> Thanks for all the various answers.
>
> So all data is stored on the plattern (I am presuming this is the name for
> the highly polished disk inside the drive) and there is no other storage
> of data, such as flash memory elsewhere within the hard drive casing.

Harddrives with flash cache storage for faster bootup are just vaporware
these days. Consider the limited amount of write cycles a flashmemory
offers, that would need special precaution.
Now, old drives for sure do not have that.

> So theoretically, (taking care not to spill any lager or crisps within the
> casing) swapping the disks over would work providing the problem is within
> the electronics and not with the disk itself.

You might want to exchange the electronics board and carefully resolder the
connections, nothing more. NEVER take the platterns out.
You would never be able to adjust the heads in the other drive accordingly,
after all.

> When HDDs go wrong, what is the main cause, electronics or the disk?

Old disks: mostly mechanics, like a headcrash damaging plattern surface,
spilling grains of whatever, damaged magnetic heads, worn-out bearings,
spindle motor or head servo failing/misaligned ....

> The reason i ask, I lost the HDD on an old machine, nothing important
> lost, however i would like to recover a couple of files that were not
> backed up, not willing to spend any real money though, 20 tops. Plenty
> of drives of same spec available on ebay for a fiver, so, is it worth a
> go?

You did not tell much about the symptoms. Does the drive still spin up? Is
it detected by the bios? Odd noise?
Really old drives can sometimes be convinced to start up a last time by
gently applying "percussive maintainence" just when powering up your pc.
You should already have a 2nd drive connected and a imaging software
(ghost ...) on floppy, so that you can image the drive when luck strikes,
or simply copy files over.
Not-so-old drives may still work "somehow" for a limited amount of time,
when started, but quit after some minutes. Maybe enough time to get back
your most important files, or try "partial imaging" with dd_rescue. Full
random access-wise copying may destroy the drive even faster here.
No, putting your drive in a fridge won't help very much .

Jordan Greenberg

Walter Mautner wrote:
> No, putting your drive in a fridge won't help very much .

I'm perfectly willing to admit that putting a drive in the fridge is
voodoo, but that doesn't mean that voodoo doesn't sometimes work

-Jordan Greenberg

Jordan Greenberg

Jordan Greenberg wrote:

Hey, whats this crap in my sig? They've never done that before....
Damnit... anyone got a cheap feed they like?

-Jordan

Walter Mautner

Jordan Greenberg wrote:

> Jordan Greenberg wrote:

> Hey, whats this crap in my sig? They've never done that before....
> Damnit... anyone got a cheap feed they like?

Mmhm, got a bunch of free servers in my (linux) leafnode file:

server = motzarella.org
server = news.readfreenews.net
# These two need registration, you receive a password via e-mail.
server = nntp.aioe.org
# without authentication but not always up, sometimes painfully slow

I use them for posting (my ISP obviously has no reasonable upstream) and
as "fills".