Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Works when wired, but not wireless --- please help

Works when wired, but not wireless --- please help

=?Utf-8?B?cnNhdWVyYnJ1bg==?=

I have a Linksys WAP that supports 4 PCs with wire, and two laptops that are
wireless. I recently updated one laptop with SP2 and turned on the Windows
Firewall. Everything seems fine, however, when the laptop is wireless, I can
no longer access the internet. When I plug in an ethernet cable, voila, I can
see the internet. I have not tweaked the firewall settings oin the laptop,
but I must have something goofed up.

Help, please!

mikeBNF

usual problem with sp2, does the wireless in, mostly down to incorrect
drivers or un signed drivers, check the makers website for the card.
also, ditch windows (xp) firewall, it does not protect against outgoing
'call home' or mailer virus, use za free or WHY.

mike

"rsauerbrun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Linksys WAP that supports 4 PCs with wire, and two laptops that

are
> wireless. I recently updated one laptop with SP2 and turned on the Windows
> Firewall. Everything seems fine, however, when the laptop is wireless, I

can
> no longer access the internet. When I plug in an ethernet cable, voila, I

can
> see the internet. I have not tweaked the firewall settings oin the laptop,
> but I must have something goofed up.
>
> Help, please!

---

=?Utf-8?B?cnNhdWVyYnJ1bg==?=

Thanks, Mike. I did go to HP and download the latest drivers for my 9010, but
no help. Any other ideas? And thanks for the advise on the firewall.

"mikeBNF" wrote:

> usual problem with sp2, does the wireless in, mostly down to incorrect
> drivers or un signed drivers, check the makers website for the card.
> also, ditch windows (xp) firewall, it does not protect against outgoing
> 'call home' or mailer virus, use za free or WHY.
>
> mike
>
> "rsauerbrun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a Linksys WAP that supports 4 PCs with wire, and two laptops that

> are
> > wireless. I recently updated one laptop with SP2 and turned on the Windows
> > Firewall. Everything seems fine, however, when the laptop is wireless, I

> can
> > no longer access the internet. When I plug in an ethernet cable, voila, I

> can
> > see the internet. I have not tweaked the firewall settings oin the laptop,
> > but I must have something goofed up.
> >
> > Help, please!

> ---

Jack

Hi
Try to switch off WZC, and use Linksys recent drivers and Util for Card's
configuration.
Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).