Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Saving files on YOU-TUBE ... ??? (How to.)

Saving files on YOU-TUBE ... ??? (How to.)

Leesa_Tay@softhome.net

I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best way to save
their videos?

I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can save videos
as "favorites" but can you actually save the FLASH file? I believe
most if not all of the YOU-TUBE content is flash based.

Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file and view it
in the viewer of my choice without having to see the clips in the
browser?

Thanks

LEESA (I)

Evan Platt

On 30 Nov 2006 12:10:22 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best way to save
>their videos?
>
>I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can save videos
>as "favorites" but can you actually save the FLASH file? I believe
>most if not all of the YOU-TUBE content is flash based.
>
>Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file and view it
>in the viewer of my choice without having to see the clips in the
>browser?

With Firefox, there's a number of plug-ins (extensions) that will do
the trick. UnPlug comes to mind, among others.

Fred

http://keepvid.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best way to save
> their videos?
>
> I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can save videos
> as "favorites" but can you actually save the FLASH file? I believe
> most if not all of the YOU-TUBE content is flash based.
>
> Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file and view it
> in the viewer of my choice without having to see the clips in the
> browser?
>
> Thanks
>
> LEESA (I)

thanatoid

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best
> way to save their videos?
>
> I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can
> save videos as "favorites" but can you actually save the
> FLASH file? I believe most if not all of the YOU-TUBE
> content is flash based.
>
> Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file
> and view it in the viewer of my choice without having to
> see the clips in the browser?
>
> Thanks
>
> LEESA (I)

I don't know about other browsers, but Opera saves flv
(streaming Flash files) as .tmp or .swf files (sometimes yet
another extension, but it will be a 5-15MB file usually, and one
of the most recent ones in the cache) in its "profile\cache4"
directory. You rename the file to anything with an "flv"
extension, copy it to your "my collection of stupid videos"
directory, and DL the free Riva FLV player to view them at your
leisure.

t.

--
Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

Leesa_Tay@softhome.net

thanatoid wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>
> > I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best
> > way to save their videos?
> >
> > I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can
> > save videos as "favorites" but can you actually save the
> > FLASH file? I believe most if not all of the YOU-TUBE
> > content is flash based.
> >
> > Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file
> > and view it in the viewer of my choice without having to
> > see the clips in the browser?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > LEESA (I)
> >

> I don't know about other browsers, but Opera saves flv
> (streaming Flash files) as .tmp or .swf files (sometimes yet
> another extension, but it will be a 5-15MB file usually, and one
> of the most recent ones in the cache) in its "profile\cache4"
> directory. You rename the file to anything with an "flv"
> extension, copy it to your "my collection of stupid videos"
> directory, and DL the free Riva FLV player to view them at your
> leisure.

Thanks thanatoid : - )

I found your information helpful. I did find the biggest file in the
suggested directory and I do use Opera so it's cache4....

I used a free flash player named WIMPY..... which worked just fine.

Thanks

Leesa (I)

me

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> thanatoid wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>>
>> > I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best
>> > way to save their videos?
>> >
>> > I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can
>> > save videos as "favorites" but can you actually save the
>> > FLASH file? I believe most if not all of the YOU-TUBE
>> > content is flash based.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file
>> > and view it in the viewer of my choice without having to
>> > see the clips in the browser?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > LEESA (I)
>> >

>> I don't know about other browsers, but Opera saves flv
>> (streaming Flash files) as .tmp or .swf files (sometimes yet
>> another extension, but it will be a 5-15MB file usually, and one
>> of the most recent ones in the cache) in its "profile\cache4"
>> directory. You rename the file to anything with an "flv"
>> extension, copy it to your "my collection of stupid videos"
>> directory, and DL the free Riva FLV player to view them at your
>> leisure.

> Thanks thanatoid : - )
>
> I found your information helpful. I did find the biggest file in the
> suggested directory and I do use Opera so it's cache4....
>
> I used a free flash player named WIMPY..... which worked just fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Leesa (I)

MMMM Wimpyyyyy. I loved their burgers,especially the half pounder,but they
were expensive.

thanatoid

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Thanks thanatoid : - )
>
> I found your information helpful. I did find the biggest
> file in the suggested directory and I do use Opera so it's
> cache4....
>
> I used a free flash player named WIMPY..... which worked
> just fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Leesa (I)

You are very welcome. I will look into WIMPY, as Riva, although
the best of 15 or so I have tried, is not without its
problems...

--
Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

Leesa_Tay@softhome.net

Thanks.... the only problem I am sometimes having now is that I have
been having some issues locating the file "sometimes' within my Opera
directory. Does YouTube strictly use only .SWF and .FLV files?

Thanks

LEESA (I)

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks.... the only problem I am sometimes having now is that I have
>been having some issues locating the file "sometimes' within my Opera
>directory. Does YouTube strictly use only .SWF and .FLV files?

It will always be in Program Files\Opera\profile\cache4
it might end in .TMP - Youtube only uses FLV files
Two ways I find them is by date or size (they are large)

Just rename the .TMP to .FLV/SWF drop in your player and see what
you've got

I use FlvPlayer
http://www.download.com/FLVPlayer/30...-10413461.html
just a real simple program.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJYTl0kWheg

thanatoid

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Thanks.... the only problem I am sometimes having now is
> that I have been having some issues locating the file
> "sometimes' within my Opera directory. Does YouTube
> strictly use only .SWF and .FLV files?
>
> Thanks
>
> LEESA (I)

Of the 30 or so videos I've DL'd, one just would not save/stay
in the cache no matter what. I tried 4 or 5 times. Once I got
about half of it, then it vaporized (I was copying it to another
dir. as it went along, to grab what I could).

Most had tmp or swf extensions but there MAY have been other
exts, I can't remember. A 3-4 minute music video is usually
around 10MB so that's the easiest way to locate them. Once it
finishes playing, I go to the Opera cache immediately and
copy/move the last huge file dl'd, rename it, etc.

If you have a real file viewer (like edxor) you can actually
*look* inside/at the file and the first three characters *will*
be flv, whatever its ext. is in your cache.

I have never found anything larger than maybe 1 MB in any
browser's cache in 10 years (except for programs DL'd etc) so
you may just be hitting some videos that just will not save to
cache - like the one I ran across. Needless to say, contacting
tech support is pointless - they are a VERY popular site.

--
Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.