Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Question from Syngress book for 70-290

Question from Syngress book for 70-290

Adam Leinss

You have been hired as a consultant to assist a company in
migrating from Novell NetWare 5.0 and Windows 95 to
Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000 Professional.There
will be 1,200 workstations and 10 servers.There are 600
users, and every user has two machines.Which licensing
model should you use?

A. Per User licensing
B. Per Device licensing
C. Per Server licensing
D. External Connector licensing

My answer was B. Their answer was A. Now, if the user is
using both workstations at the same time, they will need
two CALs, right? So 600 workstations * 2 CALs = 1200
CALs. Wouldn't per device be much simpler to track? Or
am I completely missing something here?

Andrew Lomakin

nnope,
per user licencing mode assumes that each user that connects to a server
must have a client licence. since there are 600 users we need 600 CAL's
and if we use per-device mode then we assume every connecting device must
have a CAL - thus makes 1200 CAL's
the book is right in this case

news:032e01c3be9d$bf36d310$(E-Mail Removed)...

"Andrew Lomakin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> nnope,
> per user licencing mode assumes that each user that connects to a server
> must have a client licence. since there are 600 users we need 600 CAL's
> and if we use per-device mode then we assume every connecting device must
> have a CAL - thus makes 1200 CAL's
> the book is right in this case

What happens if the user tries to use both workstations at once, i.e.
they login to run an application and then login to the other
workstation to run another app? I do that here at work.

Thanks,
Adam

Dave

It's still one user logging on, you can logon to multiple machines.

"Adam Leinss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Andrew Lomakin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > nnope,
> > per user licencing mode assumes that each user that connects to a server
> > must have a client licence. since there are 600 users we need 600 CAL's
> > and if we use per-device mode then we assume every connecting device

must
> > have a CAL - thus makes 1200 CAL's
> > the book is right in this case

> What happens if the user tries to use both workstations at once, i.e.
> they login to run an application and then login to the other
> workstation to run another app? I do that here at work.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

Andrew Lomakin

It's ok in my opinion, because it's still ONE user name that connects.