Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Illegal File Name - How to rename.

Illegal File Name - How to rename.

fry_day@TGIF.com

I ordered Michael Crichton's new book, Next, on mp3 CDs. Several of
the files are named with Illegal characters, for example:

31 "Oh no she said... ".mp3

I assume Apple can handle these with no problem but Windows can only
see the files and can't, or won't, do anything with them. Even the
command line rename and copy prompts report that the files can't be
located although the list command works.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Fry Day

Bucky Breeder

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I ordered Michael Crichton's new book, Next, on mp3 CDs.
> Several of the files are named with Illegal characters, for
> example:
>
> 31 "Oh no she said... ".mp3
>
> I assume Apple can handle these with no problem but Windows
> can only see the files and can't, or won't, do anything
> with them. Even the command line rename and copy prompts
> report that the files can't be located although the list
> command works.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Fry Day

Need to know which Windoze you're working with... But, what
happens with Windows is the path is too long on some of these
funky files, so you could try to move the folder with all the
files and just paste it on your C:\ drive.

Then the path is *not* C:\Douchements & Sittingz\Your very
special User account\Desktop\folder of files\very very very
long file name with funky characters

Rather it *is* C:\folder of files\very very very long file
name with funky characters

Now, *maybe* , Windows Explorer can phreeking handle it... but
I've had some that I just needed to do the above, and to use a
3rd party file renamer. I like "Better File Rename" but there
are several out there.

What most folks do with the characters is substitute a "-" for
the unrecognized symbol. In your example, I'd go with

31 - Oh.no,she.said....mp3

But, there's different conventions, some may prefer

31_-_Oh_no_she_said-.mp3

Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday
season.

--

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if someday some fishermen
caught a big shark and cut it open, and there inside was a

richard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I ordered Michael Crichton's new book, Next, on mp3 CDs. Several of
> the files are named with Illegal characters, for example:
>
> 31 "Oh no she said... ".mp3
>
> I assume Apple can handle these with no problem but Windows can only
> see the files and can't, or won't, do anything with them. Even the
> command line rename and copy prompts report that the files can't be
> located although the list command works.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Fry Da

Remove the quotes as well as the crap after [said].

31) oh_no_she_said.mp3

semi-one

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:21:53 -0700, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I ordered Michael Crichton's new book, Next, on mp3 CDs. Several of
>> the files are named with Illegal characters, for example:
>>
>> 31 "Oh no she said... ".mp3
>>
>> I assume Apple can handle these with no problem but Windows can only
>> see the files and can't, or won't, do anything with them. Even the
>> command line rename and copy prompts report that the files can't be
>> located although the list command works.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fry Da

>Remove the quotes as well as the crap after [said].
>
>31) oh_no_she_said.mp3

I'd love to but although explorer "sees" the files, it won't allow any
action to the files. I can't copy them to a folder, rename them to a
different location, etc. As I mentioned, I even tried the copy and
xcopy command from DOS. I can list the files but nothing else.

Bucky Breeder

semi-one <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:21:53 -0700, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I ordered Michael Crichton's new book, Next, on mp3 CDs. Several of
>>> the files are named with Illegal characters, for example:
>>>
>>> 31 "Oh no she said... ".mp3
>>>
>>> I assume Apple can handle these with no problem but Windows can only
>>> see the files and can't, or won't, do anything with them. Even the
>>> command line rename and copy prompts report that the files can't be
>>> located although the list command works.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Fry Da

>>Remove the quotes as well as the crap after [said].
>>
>>31) oh_no_she_said.mp3
>>

> I'd love to but although explorer "sees" the files, it won't allow any
> action to the files. I can't copy them to a folder, rename them to a
> different location, etc. As I mentioned, I even tried the copy and
> xcopy command from DOS. I can list the files but nothing else.

Where are they right now?

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I ordered Michael Crichton's new book, Next, on mp3 CDs. Several of
> the files are named with Illegal characters, for example:
>
> 31 "Oh no she said... ".mp3
>
> I assume Apple can handle these with no problem but Windows can only
> see the files and can't, or won't, do anything with them. Even the
> command line rename and copy prompts report that the files can't be
> located although the list command works.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Fry Day

Load up liveCD like knoppix, DSL etc, mount the disk read/write, and then
rename dumb file names that windopz exploder can't handle
to heart's content.
http://www.livecdlist.com

semi-one

On 29 Nov 2006 20:37:23 GMT, Bucky Breeder
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>semi-one <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:21:53 -0700, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Remove the quotes as well as the crap after [said].
>>>
>>>31) oh_no_she_said.mp3
>>>

>> I'd love to but although explorer "sees" the files, it won't allow any
>> action to the files. I can't copy them to a folder, rename them to a
>> different location, etc. As I mentioned, I even tried the copy and
>> xcopy command from DOS. I can list the files but nothing else.
>>

>Where are they right now?

On the audiobook publisher's mp3 CD.

Bucky Breeder

semi-one <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On 29 Nov 2006 20:37:23 GMT, Bucky Breeder
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>semi-one <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

>>> I'd love to but although explorer "sees" the files, it won't allow any
>>> action to the files. I can't copy them to a folder, rename them to a
>>> different location, etc. As I mentioned, I even tried the copy and
>>> xcopy command from DOS. I can list the files but nothing else.
>>>

>>Where are they right now?

> On the audiobook publisher's mp3 CD.

Just make a folder on C:\"Book" [or whatever] no quotes

open CD, Explore > Ctrl A > copy them into the folder

exit the folder, right-click the folder, Properties, untick Read-only, untick
Hidden if it's ticked, tick Archive > Yes out the Apply to all radio button
and OK out > open and rename.

Or, say where it don't work in above procedure.

Keme

(E-Mail Removed) skrev:
> I ordered Michael Crichton's new book, Next, on mp3 CDs. Several of
> the files are named with Illegal characters, for example:
>
> 31 "Oh no she said... ".mp3
>
> I assume Apple can handle these with no problem but Windows can only
> see the files and can't, or won't, do anything with them. Even the
> command line rename and copy prompts report that the files can't be
> located although the list command works.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Fry Day

On the command line, type ...
dir /x

That will give a file listing with the "alternate" (=old style "8.3")
file names where applicable. Hopefully, the files inquestion will have
an alternate name assigned. Try renaming with the alternate name as
current name.

semi-one

On 29 Nov 2006 22:57:09 GMT, Bucky Breeder
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>semi-one <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On 29 Nov 2006 20:37:23 GMT, Bucky Breeder
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>semi-one <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) :

>>>Where are they right now?

>> On the audiobook publisher's mp3 CD.
>>

>Just make a folder on C:\"Book" [or whatever] no quotes
>
>open CD, Explore > Ctrl A > copy them into the folder
>
>exit the folder, right-click the folder, Properties, untick Read-only, untick
>Hidden if it's ticked, tick Archive > Yes out the Apply to all radio button
>and OK out > open and rename.
>
>Or, say where it don't work in above procedure.

Copying to a folder produces the following error:

Cannot copy: The file name, directory name or volume label syntax is
incorrect.

Re: Error python + cx_Oracle :Oracle-Error-Message: ORA-01036:illegal variable name/number Ian Kelly Python 0 01-04-2011 09:14 PM
Strip illegal characters from a file name Jim Burgess Ruby 2 10-05-2010 03:02 PM
illegal list name Sandra Quiles Python 1 02-16-2009 07:11 PM
Re: illegal host name Patrick Computer Support 0 08-10-2003 01:14 AM

Advertisments