Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > unable to ping...

unable to ping...

Aj

i have Server 2003 trial version on one comp with DNS and
Active Directory installed and anothere system is w2k pro.
i have connected those with crossover cable. i can ping
loopback address, but cant ping one comp from another.
i have checked IP filter setting its "allow all".
i still cant get whats wrong here. i will highly
appriciate help.

Andrew Lomakin

as usual:
check that the cable is plugged in and you have all the correct drivers
installed:

use a sniffer on the second machine and try to sniff anything..if you see
packets from the first machine, that means that cable is ok, now check the
security settings/protocol settings on the second machine. if not, recheck
the cable and swap roles - use a sniffer on the first machine...try to sniff
outgoing packets...etc...until success

"Aj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:04aa01c3be37$d411c940$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i have Server 2003 trial version on one comp with DNS and
> Active Directory installed and anothere system is w2k pro.
> i have connected those with crossover cable. i can ping
> loopback address, but cant ping one comp from another.
> i have checked IP filter setting its "allow all".
> i still cant get whats wrong here. i will highly
> appriciate help.

Alexander Melnikov

If you have RRAS installed on your server, you should also check inbound and
outbound filters for this interfase.
"Aj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:04aa01c3be37$d411c940$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i have Server 2003 trial version on one comp with DNS and
> Active Directory installed and anothere system is w2k pro.
> i have connected those with crossover cable. i can ping
> loopback address, but cant ping one comp from another.
> i have checked IP filter setting its "allow all".
> i still cant get whats wrong here. i will highly
> appriciate help.

Routing and Remote Acess Service is not yet Configured and
Enabled. this is to be some wierd problem i guess.

i can see the packets in network by checking the "status".
i shows sending and recieving the packets. but ping is
timed out!

Andrew Lomakin

that's good already - the cable looks working
ain't using `Planet` NIC?

check & update drivers especially for win98
really DO update drivers, because when i had my problems with NT & 2k
connectivity the problem was in drivers i downloaded from the hardware
manufacturer's site. you have 2 tries: take drivers from web, or take ones
from disk - try both ways, may help
it's a driver problem imho...try to get a network monitor...at least for
win2k. i think win98 replies rubbish
try to boot both PC's with windows PE
try disabling firewalls (ALL FIREWALLS/UNINSTALL FIREWALLS)
try disabling antivirus/internet security programs...sometimes this also
helps

can win98 see other pc's if connected to them directly
can w2k see other pc's if connected to them directly?
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ff3201c3be45$3e207040$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i can see the packets in network by checking the "status".
> i shows sending and recieving the packets. but ping is
> timed out!

Andrew Lomakin

BTW try running arp -a
on both pc's
do you see the MAC of the other PC?
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ff3201c3be45$3e207040$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i can see the packets in network by checking the "status".
> i shows sending and recieving the packets. but ping is
> timed out!

Aj

yes... i can get the physical/mac address of other machine
when i run arp -a. (did it on both)
thats cool i dint know that...ta
but... still cant ping... have updated the drivers... even
got Xircom Driver from the Xircom site(one is laptop with
xircom card).

Andrew Lomakin

hmm, still got a thought that you have some firewall on
boot both machines with win PE and see if you can ping one other. that 100%
is some kind of a firewall.
BTW try not pinging, try connecting to say...port 138, 139....just see if
the connect goes, AND GET A SNIFFER FOR [censored]'s SAKE

"Aj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:10f001c3bec6$59fbebb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes... i can get the physical/mac address of other machine
> when i run arp -a. (did it on both)
> thats cool i dint know that...ta
> but... still cant ping... have updated the drivers... even
> got Xircom Driver from the Xircom site(one is laptop with
> xircom card).

Aj

i just got it running... a friend of mine came... killed
some time on console... uninstalled nic card on server...
added.. as new hardware... and... whoop... is though... i
can ping. Thanks Andrew... a lot!!! you have significantly
helped me.
i have been able to learn.. why peole have approch of
reinstalling...

message