Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hotmail

hotmail

flybywire

Couldn't get hotmail to work presumably due to my firewall despite having
given full access

MS then tell me to

A. Optimise your Internet Explorer browser

1. Launch Internet Explorer
2. From the "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options"
3. On the "General" tab,

a. Click on "Delete Cookies" under "Temporary Internet files" and then click
on "OK"
b. Click on "Delete Files"
c. Put a checkmark on the "Delete all offline content" checkbox, and then
click on "OK"
d. Under "History," click "Clear History," and then click "Yes"
e. Click on "Settings" and select "Automatically" under "Check for newer
versions of stored pages"
f. Adjust the amount of disk space to at least half of the maximum limit
g. Click "OK"

4. On the "Security" tab,

a. Click the "Trusted sites" icon
b. Click "Sites," and then clear the "Require server verification" check box
c. In the text box, type "*.hotmail.com", and then click "Add"
d. Repeat the previous step above for "*.passport.com", "*.msn.com", and
"*.live.com"
e. Click "OK"

5. On the "Privacy" tab,

a. Click "Sites"
b. Under "Address of Web site," type hotmail.com, and then click "Allow"
c. Repeat the previous step for "passport.com", "msn.com", and "live.com"
d. Click "OK"
6. Click "OK"

B. Verify that Active Scripting, ActiveX, and Java are not blocked.

Verify that Internet Explorer or another program on your computer such as an
anti-virus program or a firewall is not configured to block scripts, ActiveX
controls, or Java applets. Active Scripting, ActiveX controls, and Java
applets are turned off at the High security level in Internet Explorer. To
reset the Internet Explorer security settings for the current Web page,
follow these steps:

1. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options"
2. In the "Internet Options" dialog box, click "Security"
3. Click "Default Level"
4. Click "OK"

Please refer to the documentation for the anti-virus program or firewall
that you are using to determine how to turn on scripting, ActiveX and Java
applets.

C. Install the latest version of the Java Virtual Machine:

1. To download the latest version of the Java Virtual Machine, visit the
following Sun Microsystems Web site:

http://www.java.com

2. Restart Internet Explorer
3. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options"
4. Click the "Advanced" tab
5. Under "Browsing," clear the "Enable third-party browser extensions
(requires restart)" check box
6. Restart Internet Explorer
7. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options"
8. Click the "Advanced" tab
9. Under "Browsing," select the "Disable Script Debugging (Internet
Explorer)" check box, and then click "OK"

D. Reregister the files that you must have to run scripts on the page

1. Click "Start," point to "All Programs," point to "Accessories," and then
click "Command Prompt"
2. At the command prompt, "regsvr32 softpub.dll", and then press "ENTER"
3. Click "OK" when you receive the message that states that the command ran
successfully
4. At the command prompt, type "regsvr32 wintrust.dll", and then press ENTER
5. Click "OK" when you receive the message that states that the command ran
successfully
6. At the command prompt, type "regsvr32 initpki.dll", and then press ENTER
7. Click "OK" when you receive the message that states that the command ran
successfully
8. At the command prompt, type "exit," and then press ENTER to close the
Command Prompt window.

E. If you are using Windows as the operating system, you may have to upgrade
the scripting engine.

If you are using Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, contact Windows
technical support for instructions on how to update your script engine. To
contact Windows technical support, visit the following Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com

F. Clear the Domain Name System (DNS) cache.

This is required to clear the cached address information that is used when
you connect to the Hotmail service:

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "cmd", and then click "OK"
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press "Enter"
on your keyboard:

ipconfig /flushdns

This command deletes all the DNS entries that have been cached.

G. Add "passport.com", "hotmail.com", "live.com", and "msn.com" to the lists
of safe domains in your firewall, pop-up blocker, and antivirus software. To
learn how to do this, see the documentation for your firewall, pop-up
blocker, and antivirus software.

To learn how to configure Microsoft Windows Firewall in Microsoft Windows XP
Service Pack 2, visit the following Web site:

H. Repair or reinstall your Internet browser.

For Internet Explorer 6:

I. If you recently installed any software or made any change to your
computer before this issue occurred, consider reversing the change that you
made, at least temporarily, to determine whether that change is the source
of the problem.

J. Download Windows Defender Beta 2

Windows Defender (Beta 2) is a free program that helps protect your computer
against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware
and other unwanted software. For more information, please visit:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

If the issue persists after performing the steps above, please reply to this
e-mail with the following information:

- Does this happen even when you use a different computer and Internet
connection?
- Does this issue occur with other Hotmail accounts that are being accessed
on your computer?
- When did the problem first occur?

Moving on, the site I have provided below states the information on the
range of Internet Protocol (IP) addresses MSN Hotmail and Windows Live Mail
own from which e-mail is or could be sent. Please tell your system
administrator to make sure that all IP addresses MSN Hotmail and Windows
Live Mail own are included in the allow list of your work's Internet
firewall system or Internet filtering system.

http://postmaster.msn.com/Servers.aspx

aaaaghhh

Evan Platt

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:02:47 GMT, "flybywire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Couldn't get hotmail to work presumably due to my firewall despite having
>given full access

<SNIP 200 lines>

How about what happens when you try to go to hotmail, what web browser
and what operating system, and what firewall?

flybywire

xp pro
zonealarmpro
ie6

normally get cookies not allowed despite giving full access

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:02:47 GMT, "flybywire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Couldn't get hotmail to work presumably due to my firewall despite having
>>given full access

> <SNIP 200 lines>
>
> How about what happens when you try to go to hotmail, what web browser
> and what operating system, and what firewall?

Nomen Nescio

> Couldn't get hotmail to work presumably due to my
> firewall despite having given full access

> MS then tell me to [instructions snipped]

These instructions were written by a ****ing stupid
****ing ****---scripts, ActiveX, Java--if hotmail made
me jump that many hoops to login I'd beat her to death
with a Goblin's teasmaid. You should careful with what
you allow and disallow, or somebody's going to come
along with a virus and kick your ****ing **** OFF!!

I look at my hotmail emails using a helper program
called "POP Peeper." Helper programs offer a little
more protection while you are lying on your back with
your legs spread for hotmail.

flybywire

agreed

thankfully my firewall wont let hotmal fuction

"Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Couldn't get hotmail to work presumably due to my
>> firewall despite having given full access

>> MS then tell me to [instructions snipped]

> These instructions were written by a ****ing stupid
> ****ing ****---scripts, ActiveX, Java--if hotmail made
> me jump that many hoops to login I'd beat her to death
> with a Goblin's teasmaid. You should careful with what
> you allow and disallow, or somebody's going to come
> along with a virus and kick your ****ing **** OFF!!
>
> I look at my hotmail emails using a helper program
> called "POP Peeper." Helper programs offer a little
> more protection while you are lying on your back with
> your legs spread for hotmail.

wireless and hotmail account =?Utf-8?B?VmxhZA==?= Wireless Networking 2 03-11-2005 05:55 PM
Hotmail popper - Hotmail => pop3 access <eom> Paul D.Smith ASP General 0 10-14-2004 01:05 PM
Hotmail under Mozilla [no-spam] Firefox 2 06-30-2004 02:07 PM
Hotmail clash LadySpudz Firefox 3 04-23-2004 08:36 AM
help regarding msn and hotmail in mail vc Firefox 6 04-03-2004 08:22 PM

Advertisments