Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Restoring an Image over the network Automatically with Ghost 8

Restoring an Image over the network Automatically with Ghost 8

Dark Knight Poster

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has done something like this and if so if someone could direct me to some documentation on how to do it.

Currently we used Ghost 8 Corp at the company I work for. I tried to get them to use virtual partitions but they don't want to. That being said my situation is this.

I have created three images. Each image is for a specified user type. The images work fine and are designed to work across multiple machines. What I would like to do is be able to create a ghost boot disk that when booted. Would automatically boot into ghost, access a network path with preset creds and begin downloading a pre-specified image. I don't want to have any user intervention for this process. Once the image is downloaded, it should automatically reboot the system.

Is this possible?

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Dark Knight Poster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has done something like this and if so if

someone could direct me to some documentation on how to do it.

> Currently we used Ghost 8 Corp at the company I work for. I tried to get

them to use virtual partitions but they don't want to. That being said my
situation is this.

> I have created three images. Each image is for a specified user type. The

images work fine and are designed to work across multiple machines. What I
would like to do is be able to create a ghost boot disk that when booted.
Would automatically boot into ghost, access a network path with preset creds
and begin downloading a pre-specified image. I don't want to have any user
intervention for this process. Once the image is downloaded, it should
automatically reboot the system.

> Is this possible?

NET.EXE is your friend.

As is batch file writing.

'Nuff said.

RwP

why?

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 05:38:05 -0600, Dark Knight Poster wrote:

Usig horrible line lengths.

>Hi All,

<snip>

>I have created three images. Each image is for a specified user type. The images

work fine and are designed to work across multiple machines. What I
would like to do is be able to create a ghost boot disk that when
booted. Would automatically boot into ghost, access a network path with
preset creds and begin downloading a pre-specified image. I don't want
to have any user intervention for this process. Once the image is
downloaded, it should automatically reboot the system.

>Is this possible?

Yes, exactly as RWP said.

That's how we do it at work, only with the manual intervention of
username / password.

Me