Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What to use to repad a chair?

What to use to repad a chair?

Brian

Hey all,

I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its padding in the
cushion/seat due to being compressed by very frequent use as an all-day
chair rather than just at the table.

I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning in it (without
taking it and paying for an upholster to do it for me), but am not sure what
to use. I checked out walmart but found little, and standard polyfill didn't
seem to be appropriate for the task

Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this before? Is there
a good material I can get, cut in the size of the square seat and then
stretch the fabric back over and restaple underneath?

thanks for any advice,

thanatoid

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:yuL9h.17696$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hey all,
>
> I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its
> padding in the cushion/seat due to being compressed by very
> frequent use as an all-day chair rather than just at the
> table.
>
> I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning
> in it (without taking it and paying for an upholster to do
> it for me), but am not sure what to use. I checked out
> walmart but found little, and standard polyfill didn't seem
> to be appropriate for the task
>
> Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this
> before? Is there a good material I can get, cut in the size
> of the square seat and then stretch the fabric back over
> and restaple underneath?
>
> thanks for any advice,

I've wondered about this myself. I think polyfill is about the
only thing available, but you can get it in different firmness's
(strengths? firmnessesesesses?).

I think the trick to making a good cushion is to get some of the
multicolored hard compressed polyfill, make that the center of
the pad (not too thick), and get some medium firmness regular
light yellow polyfill and wrap it around cutting off excess
etc., and COMPRESSING IT A LITTLE when putting on the fabric.

This is my first EVER advice about reupholstering, so
corrections as well as the usual insults and abuse are expected
and welcomed.

t.

samuel

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:yuL9h.17696$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hey all,
>
> I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its padding
> in the cushion/seat due to being compressed by very frequent
> use as an all-day chair rather than just at the table.
>
> I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning in
> it (without taking it and paying for an upholster to do it for
> me), but am not sure what to use. I checked out walmart but
> found little, and standard polyfill didn't seem to be
> appropriate for the task
>
> Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this
> before? Is there a good material I can get, cut in the size of
> the square seat and then stretch the fabric back over and
> restaple underneath?
>
> thanks for any advice,

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hf_mai.../0,2037,DIY_13
899_2276452,00.html

Meat Plow

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:45:34 +0000, Brian Has Frothed:

> Hey all,
>
> I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its padding in the
> cushion/seat due to being compressed by very frequent use as an all-day
> chair rather than just at the table.
>
> I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning in it (without
> taking it and paying for an upholster to do it for me), but am not sure what
> to use. I checked out walmart but found little, and standard polyfill didn't
> seem to be appropriate for the task
>
> Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this before? Is there
> a good material I can get, cut in the size of the square seat and then
> stretch the fabric back over and restaple underneath?
>
> thanks for any advice,

I'll send you over to alt.buzzard.rules. The group owner, Buzzard does
chairs and couches and stuff for a living.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Mowe Z. Slowley

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:45:34 +0000, Brian Has Frothed:
>

>>Hey all,
>>
>>I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its padding in the
>>cushion/seat due to being compressed by very frequent use as an all-day
>>chair rather than just at the table.
>>
>>I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning in it (without
>>taking it and paying for an upholster to do it for me), but am not sure what
>>to use. I checked out walmart but found little, and standard polyfill didn't
>>seem to be appropriate for the task
>>
>>Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this before? Is there
>>a good material I can get, cut in the size of the square seat and then
>>stretch the fabric back over and restaple underneath?
>>
>>thanks for any advice,

> I'll send you over to alt.buzzard.rules. The group owner, Buzzard does
> chairs and couches and stuff for a living.

Whotta nice guy.

--
God is coming soon to a planet near YOU!

BuZZard

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:45:34 +0000, Brian Has Frothed:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its padding in the
> > cushion/seat due to being compressed by very frequent use as an all-day
> > chair rather than just at the table.
> >
> > I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning in it (without
> > taking it and paying for an upholster to do it for me), but am not sure

what
> > to use. I checked out walmart but found little, and standard polyfill

didn't
> > seem to be appropriate for the task
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this before? Is

there
> > a good material I can get, cut in the size of the square seat and then
> > stretch the fabric back over and restaple underneath?
> >
> > thanks for any advice,

> I'll send you over to alt.buzzard.rules. The group owner, Buzzard does
> chairs and couches and stuff for a living.

thanks buddy..
so.. the padding thats on it is toast.. squashed... you dont want to take it
to an upholterer.
why?
its a small job.. wouldn't cost that much.. and would be done right.. i
mean.. for the
headache of searching down the padding.. ....finding a staple gun...
unscrewing.. or whatever.. then attaching the new padding and the new
material.. dang.. thats worth 50 bucks...
Thats if you want it to look nice along with the good foam or ... if its an
old chair.. the old horse hair.. it could be refurbished..
If you still want to do it.. go get a piece of foam.. cut it with a filet
knife.. after making a pattern.. spray glue it in place.. bevel the edges
with siccors.. and start stretching the fabric..
make it look good.. or one day.. an upholsterer will laugh at your job..
if all else fails.. just go buy a bed pillow.. and draw your boss's face on
it...
or someone you hate.