Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Desperate need of help

Desperate need of help

Jeff

I know this is a newsgroup for MSCE. But I have a
question?
I’m running a windows 98 machine. I have it connected to a
network running 2000.
On the 98 machine I’m unable to get to the Internet. My
helpdesk advise it could be the NIC. And I should reload
the drivers. I’m unable to ping an address. Anyone that
may know what the problem is and could direct me in the
right area. I would greatly appreciate it

ShahiiWassabbii

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses, we need more
info ... what is the network setup, home user? Dial up?
Are you sharing the connection? Are you running NAT? What
is the IP addy info for the server? What ISP? What help
desk? Eat it.

jeff

Okay this machine is running stand alone. ISp is ROGERS
CABLE-and rogers helpdesk told me that
Please help

Okay I have release and renew the IP address on the 98
machine.. it is 24.30.13...... I was wondering what if I
uninstall the NIC card., win98 does have pnp on it right.
would find the drivers and put the nic back..

Okay maybe I'm a little course. Can someone tell me what
steps I should take to figure out what the problem is....
I'm at work right now so I can check my computer.. Please

Politician Spock

Let me get this straight. When you release and renew the IP address you
successfully get an IP Address? Is so, let's stop focusing on the NIC for a
minute, and perhaps tell us what you mean by "I'm unable to get to the
Internet". Do you mean you are getting an error message, the browser doesn't
respond, etc... Knowing what you can't do, and the error message would
definitely help.

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:07b501c3bd9d$6d3682f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay I have release and renew the IP address on the 98
> machine.. it is 24.30.13...... I was wondering what if I
> uninstall the NIC card., win98 does have pnp on it right.
> would find the drivers and put the nic back..
>
> Okay maybe I'm a little course. Can someone tell me what
> steps I should take to figure out what the problem is....
> I'm at work right now so I can check my computer.. Please

Okay so lets get it straight. when i launch a browser, i
don't get an error message but the browser doesn't
respond. Thanks again

confers no rights.
>You assume all risk for your use. Not responsible for

your inability to
>understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the

imaginary gnomes
>living in my garden, or William Shatner's acting.
> 2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.
>

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:07b501c3bd9d$6d3682f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Okay I have release and renew the IP address on the 98
>> machine.. it is 24.30.13...... I was wondering what if I
>> uninstall the NIC card., win98 does have pnp on it

right.
>> would find the drivers and put the nic back..
>>
>> Okay maybe I'm a little course. Can someone tell me what
>> steps I should take to figure out what the problem

is....
>> I'm at work right now so I can check my computer..

Please

Politician Spock

Assuming you don't use a browser for email, are you able to send/receive
email from this computer?

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f41101c3bdae$30bfef30$(E-Mail Removed)...
Okay so lets get it straight. when i launch a browser, i
don't get an error message but the browser doesn't
respond. Thanks again

Dragon

Since you can release and renew ip address lease, ping yourself. Ping
www.yahoo.com Can you get any replies? Ping your gateway, dns any other
external IP address. If you can ping them, you do have a connection to the
outside world. Type the following in your browser's address bar:
http://66.218.71.86

Have fun. If you still can't get to the internet, try going out and having a
cold shake. Enjoy the real world for a while and then try the virtual one
again later.

OK Dragon