Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows genuine advantage

Windows genuine advantage

Big Ron

My machine has a legit OS (XP) and gets the annoying WGA popups all the
time.

Any sites that still have a working download of the removal tool or have
Microsoft shot them all down? Tried google but no luck.

Ron

Dave+Sue

"Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45657b9a$0$21140$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> My machine has a legit OS (XP) and gets the annoying WGA popups all the
> time.
>
> Any sites that still have a working download of the removal tool or have
> Microsoft shot them all down? Tried google but no luck.
>
> Ron

When you say you have a genuine "legit" installation of XP,
is it a preinstalled OEM version? MS claim that they have
found thousands of PC's marketed with a supposedly "legit"
copy of XP that isn't legit ....
MS are now actively closing off all updates to non validated XP pc's.
Also, MS will supply free a copy of XP where it can be shown -
receipts etc, that the user in good faith bought a PC with XP
preinstalled that turned out to be a pirate copy.
You really should validate your copy of XP before MS shuts it down,
and they will...
Read more:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892130/en-us

Big Ron

Yes - it was pre-installed.......
Ron

"Dave+Sue" <*******(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ek432o$psv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45657b9a$0$21140$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My machine has a legit OS (XP) and gets the annoying WGA popups all the
>> time.
>>
>> Any sites that still have a working download of the removal tool or have
>> Microsoft shot them all down? Tried google but no luck.
>>
>> Ron

> When you say you have a genuine "legit" installation of XP,
> is it a preinstalled OEM version? MS claim that they have
> found thousands of PC's marketed with a supposedly "legit"
> copy of XP that isn't legit ....
> MS are now actively closing off all updates to non validated XP pc's.
> Also, MS will supply free a copy of XP where it can be shown -
> receipts etc, that the user in good faith bought a PC with XP
> preinstalled that turned out to be a pirate copy.
> You really should validate your copy of XP before MS shuts it down,
> and they will...
> Read more:

AnonyMouse

Big Ron wrote:
> Yes - it was pre-installed.......
> Ron
>
> "Dave+Sue" <*******(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ek432o$psv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:45657b9a$0$21140$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> My machine has a legit OS (XP) and gets the annoying WGA popups all the
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Any sites that still have a working download of the removal tool or have
>>> Microsoft shot them all down? Tried google but no luck.
>>>
>>> Ron

>> When you say you have a genuine "legit" installation of XP,
>> is it a preinstalled OEM version? MS claim that they have
>> found thousands of PC's marketed with a supposedly "legit"
>> copy of XP that isn't legit ....
>> MS are now actively closing off all updates to non validated XP pc's.
>> Also, MS will supply free a copy of XP where it can be shown -
>> receipts etc, that the user in good faith bought a PC with XP
>> preinstalled that turned out to be a pirate copy.
>> You really should validate your copy of XP before MS shuts it down,
>> and they will...
>> Read more:

Who made the computer? Gateway? Dell? Compaq? HP? Where did you buy it?
If any of the major PC companies made it, and you bought it at a major
retail or online store (or direct from the manufacturer online) then I
can't think of any reason why it would have a pirated copy of XP on it.

PeeCee

"Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45657b9a$0$21140$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> My machine has a legit OS (XP) and gets the annoying WGA popups all the
> time.
>
> Any sites that still have a working download of the removal tool or have
> Microsoft shot them all down? Tried google but no luck.
>
> Ron

Ron

WGA is a right Royal PITA for owners of legitimately licensed copys of XP

I've had three machines over the bench with WGA Notification detecting an
Illegal copy of XP.
Needless to say the three PC's all had legit copies of XP. Two were OEM
isntalls with disks direct from Microsoft, and the third was an HP laptop
that I had known from fresh out of the box.

One of them was fixed by running the "MGADiag.exe" diagnostic from
Microsoft, the other two needed reinstalling XP to fix.

Having said that in all three cases the OS was pretty knocked around by
virus/spyware infections.

The HP laptop was the one that responded to the MGADiag.exe trick but in the
end the OS was so battered it was quicker to restore from CD after backing
the data up. May be worth considering for yourself.

Best
Paul.