Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problems Sharing A Printer

Problems Sharing A Printer

Alan

I am having problems getting my laptop to share the attached
printer on a Win XP machine.

The Win XP Home edition machine is cabled to a Linksys Wireless
Router. The laptop running Win 98 (not second edition) connects
via a wireless pc card. The XP machine runs Kerio Personal
Firewall Ver 4 and the laptop runs ZoneAlarm Ver 2.86. Both
machines connect to the internet. Both machines can ping each
other. The Win XP machine has a laser printer attached via a
parallel adapter. The printer is set up for sharing and has a
unique name. Each computer has a unique name.

The Win XP machine does not show any other computer other than
itself as part of a network. The laptop also does not show any
other computer as part of a network but it does show the Win XP
as being connected. It also shows the attached printer and the
shared docs folder. The printer is grayed out and offline. When
attempting to install the network printer, it finds the printer
but tells me it is offline. The laptop can open and view the
shared docs.

All this tells me that I set up the firewall properly to allow
each computer to talk to each other.

So... how do I get the laptop to share that printer?

P.S. Before the Win XP machine was installed, the old desktop
was running Win 95. Both the Win 95 machine and the Win 98
machine were part of the same windows workgroup and were able to
share each others printers.

Tanya

This checklist might help
http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...=&threadid=833 put
the printer drivers for the 98 in the XP printer share.
"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g7iod056ibht.164wr10vzcvvw$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>I am having problems getting my laptop to share the attached
> printer on a Win XP machine.
>
> The Win XP Home edition machine is cabled to a Linksys Wireless
> Router. The laptop running Win 98 (not second edition) connects
> via a wireless pc card. The XP machine runs Kerio Personal
> Firewall Ver 4 and the laptop runs ZoneAlarm Ver 2.86. Both
> machines connect to the internet. Both machines can ping each
> other. The Win XP machine has a laser printer attached via a
> parallel adapter. The printer is set up for sharing and has a
> unique name. Each computer has a unique name.
>
> The Win XP machine does not show any other computer other than
> itself as part of a network. The laptop also does not show any
> other computer as part of a network but it does show the Win XP
> as being connected. It also shows the attached printer and the
> shared docs folder. The printer is grayed out and offline. When
> attempting to install the network printer, it finds the printer
> but tells me it is offline. The laptop can open and view the
> shared docs.
>
> All this tells me that I set up the firewall properly to allow
> each computer to talk to each other.
>
> So... how do I get the laptop to share that printer?
>
> P.S. Before the Win XP machine was installed, the old desktop
> was running Win 95. Both the Win 95 machine and the Win 98
> machine were part of the same windows workgroup and were able to
> share each others printers.

Alan

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:46:20 -0800, Tanya wrote:

> This checklist might help
> http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...=&threadid=833 put
> the printer drivers for the 98 in the XP printer share.
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1g7iod056ibht.164wr10vzcvvw$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I am having problems getting my laptop to share the attached
>> printer on a Win XP machine.
>>
>> The Win XP Home edition machine is cabled to a Linksys Wireless
>> Router. The laptop running Win 98 (not second edition) connects
>> via a wireless pc card. The XP machine runs Kerio Personal
>> Firewall Ver 4 and the laptop runs ZoneAlarm Ver 2.86. Both
>> machines connect to the internet. Both machines can ping each
>> other. The Win XP machine has a laser printer attached via a
>> parallel adapter. The printer is set up for sharing and has a
>> unique name. Each computer has a unique name.
>>
>> The Win XP machine does not show any other computer other than
>> itself as part of a network. The laptop also does not show any
>> other computer as part of a network but it does show the Win XP
>> as being connected. It also shows the attached printer and the
>> shared docs folder. The printer is grayed out and offline. When
>> attempting to install the network printer, it finds the printer
>> but tells me it is offline. The laptop can open and view the
>> shared docs.
>>
>> All this tells me that I set up the firewall properly to allow
>> each computer to talk to each other.
>>
>> So... how do I get the laptop to share that printer?
>>
>> P.S. Before the Win XP machine was installed, the old desktop
>> was running Win 95. Both the Win 95 machine and the Win 98
>> machine were part of the same windows workgroup and were able to
>> share each others printers.

Drivers are not the problem. Installing add'l drivers on a Win
XP machine allows another machine to download the drivers if
needed. The Win 98 printer driver is already installed on the
Win 98 machine.

I believe the problem is that there is no Home LAN identifed.
E.g., using the MSHOME default: MSHOME does not show any
computers attached. The workgroup is empty. Using the Network
wizard on the Win XP machine will generate a netsetup exec.
However, this exec will not operate on a Win 98 machine. (I
assume Microsoft wants you to have Win 98 SE!)

Tanya

Make sure MSHOME is the workgroup on the 98 machine. Use the router as the
DHCP Server. Set TCP/IP on automatic and then in Advanced of tcp/ip go to
wins> enable netbios over tcp/ip. The same in XP. You might have to reboot
to get the machines seeing each other. Since you have used the network
wizard in XP go to Advanced on the Network Folder Toolbar. Then go to
Advanced Settings. Make sure TCP/IP is bound(checked) to Printer and
Filesharing on the Network and Client for Microsoft Networking. Check them
if they aren't I don't know how to check this in 98. You might have to
enable the guest account. Simple Filesharing is what you are doing.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm at the
bottom of the page is simple filesharing explained. That is a really old
version of ZA. But make sure that the ip range is entered in the firewall
include the router ip trusted. Must be OK since you can ping each one.
guess you can get on the internet with both machines but it wouldn't hurt to
make sure that all the firmware and drivers are current. You don't need the
network wizard they are a pain with a router. Answer one question wrong and
you are screwed. Client for Networking is going to have to be installed on
the 98 machine.
news:u9sfzmr3swyu.1lslb4i5084s3$(E-Mail Removed)...

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:59:22 -0900, Tanya wrote:

> Make sure MSHOME is the workgroup on the 98 machine. Use the router as the
> DHCP Server. Set TCP/IP on automatic and then in Advanced of tcp/ip go to
> wins> enable netbios over tcp/ip. The same in XP. You might have to reboot
> to get the machines seeing each other. Since you have used the network
> wizard in XP go to Advanced on the Network Folder Toolbar. Then go to
> Advanced Settings. Make sure TCP/IP is bound(checked) to Printer and
> Filesharing on the Network and Client for Microsoft Networking. Check them
> if they aren't I don't know how to check this in 98. You might have to
> enable the guest account. Simple Filesharing is what you are doing.
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm at the
> bottom of the page is simple filesharing explained. That is a really old
> version of ZA. But make sure that the ip range is entered in the firewall
> include the router ip trusted. Must be OK since you can ping each one.
> guess you can get on the internet with both machines but it wouldn't hurt to
> make sure that all the firmware and drivers are current. You don't need the
> network wizard they are a pain with a router. Answer one question wrong and
> you are screwed. Client for Networking is going to have to be installed on
> the 98 machine.
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u9sfzmr3swyu.1lslb4i5084s3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:46:20 -0800, Tanya wrote:
>>
>>> This checklist might help
>>> http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...=&threadid=833 put
>>> the printer drivers for the 98 in the XP printer share.
>>> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:1g7iod056ibht.164wr10vzcvvw$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> Drivers are not the problem. Installing add'l drivers on a Win
>> XP machine allows another machine to download the drivers if
>> needed. The Win 98 printer driver is already installed on the
>> Win 98 machine.
>>
>> I believe the problem is that there is no Home LAN identifed.
>> E.g., using the MSHOME default: MSHOME does not show any
>> computers attached. The workgroup is empty. Using the Network
>> wizard on the Win XP machine will generate a netsetup exec.
>> However, this exec will not operate on a Win 98 machine. (I
>> assume Microsoft wants you to have Win 98 SE!)

Okay Tanya, we're almost there. Your instruction to go to
Advanced on the Network toolbar and bind TCP/IP to the Printer &
Filesharing exposed the network. (Why Win XP would not set this
up in the Wizard is beyond me.)

I now see the network with the two computers included on the Win
XP machine. In Network Neighborhood on the laptop I also see the
network with the same two computers attached.

But..... I still can't add the network printer attached to the
desktop. The Win 98 laptop tells me it is currently offline.
When I look at the (Network Neighborhood) desktop it shows the
shared printer but it is grayed out (I assume this is why the
laptop tells me it is offline). It also shows the shared docs
folder that I can open and browse.

So.. any other ideas? The network is visible. The computers
attached are visible. The printer on the desktop is tagged as
shared. It is attached to the parallel port.

P.S. Netbios is not required. TCP/IP is all that is needed.

Tanya

When you shared the printer did you go through the whole process and make it
shared on the lpt2 (same port) it is on? No need to change the port
settings. Also since the laptop is 98 there is a place to install for 98 on
the share page of the printer properties (additional drivers). Make sure it
is all being done on your desktop as Administrator. Don't mess with trying
to do anything from the 98 laptop. Just open a folder in 98 and go to
file>print. The printer properties should come up there. You have enabled
Guest Account? You can check by going to View Workgroup Computers on the
left side of My Network Places then open your desktop and right click the
printer there should be three tabs at the top security is the one you are
supposed to see if it is shared. Try sharing something else also. Some
printers are the pits to share. Not all of them do without server software
on them. If you still can't share it go to the website and see if it is so
with yours.
You gotten this far that is great.
news:13mr4f5lfzmo9$.154cab45cd4uu$(E-Mail Removed). ..

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:33:35 -0900, Tanya wrote:

> When you shared the printer did you go through the whole process and make it
> shared on the lpt2 (same port) it is on?

The Brother printer is attached to LPT1 and it is set to print to
Lpt1. The brother printer is set up to be shared. That's why it
shows up attached to the desktop when I browse the network on the
laptop.

No need to change the port
> settings. Also since the laptop is 98 there is a place to install for 98 on
> the share page of the printer properties (additional drivers).

The laptop has the correct Win 98 drivers for the Brother
printer.

Make sure it
> is all being done on your desktop as Administrator. Don't mess with trying
> to do anything from the 98 laptop. Just open a folder in 98 and go to
> file>print. The printer properties should come up there. You have enabled
> Guest Account? You can check by going to View Workgroup Computers on the
> left side of My Network Places then open your desktop and right click the
> printer there should be three tabs at the top security is the one you are
> supposed to see if it is shared.

You lost me here. When I View Workgroup Computers on the
desktop, there are two: the desktop and the laptop. When I open
the desktop, I see the shared printer and the Shared Docs folder.
When I right click the printer, it opens a dialog box that says
Open | Connect | Create Shortcut | Properties. I assume you
meant to say that I should click on properties and then see three
tabs. I don't. When I click on Properties, all I see is one tab
labeled General.

In addition I opened a Dos command window and executed the
command net user guest. The desktop came back with all the
properties of the guest account including "Account Active" Yes.

Try sharing something else also. Some
> printers are the pits to share. Not all of them do without server software
> on them. If you still can't share it go to the website and see if it is so
> with yours.
> You gotten this far that is great.

If I go to the laptop and set up the attached HP Printer for
sharing I can print to it from the desktop.

I'm starting to conclude that the problem is with the Brother
printer(s)!

> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:13mr4f5lfzmo9$.154cab45cd4uu$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:59:22 -0900, Tanya wrote:
>>
>>> Make sure MSHOME is the workgroup on the 98 machine. Use the router as
>>> the
>>> DHCP Server. Set TCP/IP on automatic and then in Advanced of tcp/ip go to
>>> wins> enable netbios over tcp/ip. The same in XP. You might have to
>>> reboot
>>> to get the machines seeing each other. Since you have used the network
>>> wizard in XP go to Advanced on the Network Folder Toolbar. Then go to
>>> Advanced Settings. Make sure TCP/IP is bound(checked) to Printer and
>>> Filesharing on the Network and Client for Microsoft Networking. Check
>>> them
>>> if they aren't I don't know how to check this in 98. You might have to
>>> enable the guest account. Simple Filesharing is what you are doing.
>>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm at
>>> the
>>> bottom of the page is simple filesharing explained. That is a really old
>>> version of ZA. But make sure that the ip range is entered in the
>>> firewall
>>> include the router ip trusted. Must be OK since you can ping each one.
>>> guess you can get on the internet with both machines but it wouldn't hurt
>>> make sure that all the firmware and drivers are current. You don't need
>>> the
>>> network wizard they are a pain with a router. Answer one question wrong
>>> and
>>> you are screwed. Client for Networking is going to have to be installed
>>> on
>>> the 98 machine.
>>> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:u9sfzmr3swyu.1lslb4i5084s3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Okay Tanya, we're almost there. Your instruction to go to
>> Advanced on the Network toolbar and bind TCP/IP to the Printer &
>> Filesharing exposed the network. (Why Win XP would not set this
>> up in the Wizard is beyond me.)
>>
>> I now see the network with the two computers included on the Win
>> XP machine. In Network Neighborhood on the laptop I also see the
>> network with the same two computers attached.
>>
>> But..... I still can't add the network printer attached to the
>> desktop. The Win 98 laptop tells me it is currently offline.
>> When I look at the (Network Neighborhood) desktop it shows the
>> shared printer but it is grayed out (I assume this is why the
>> laptop tells me it is offline). It also shows the shared docs
>> folder that I can open and browse.
>>
>> So.. any other ideas? The network is visible. The computers
>> attached are visible. The printer on the desktop is tagged as
>> shared. It is attached to the parallel port.
>>
>> P.S. Netbios is not required. TCP/IP is all that is needed.

Tanya

Yep you are setup correctly. Your Brother Printer might be one that doesn't
share.
oops I guess on printers the three tabs don't show. It was just to look not
do anything. It shows on other folders if they are shared. I have an old
Nec Silentwriter95 that I have to use HP Laserjet 111P drivers and an old
Epson both work.
news:15fsq5b4xw9tz.1ljatn7q190b5$(E-Mail Removed).. .