Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Are the most Expensive Always Best?

Are the most Expensive Always Best?

Heidi Manway

x-no-archive:yes

(1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using www.snipurl.com
service )

(2) http://snipurl.com/1322q

I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
nearly everyone has that nowadays

I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.

What have other peoples experiences being with regard to same?

Heidi

Evan Platt

On 22 Nov 2006 10:32:44 -0800, "Heidi Manway" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
>nearly everyone has that nowadays
>
>I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
>the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
>Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.

The main thing to look at is the Manufacturer (is it a name you know
and trust?) The other is resolution.

What will you be using the webcam for?

If the webcam does 1280x1024, but you plan on using software that only
does 640x480, why spend the extra money?

Ron

"Heidi Manway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> x-no-archive:yes

The no archive bit doesn't do anything in the body of a message or even if
correctly placed in the headers and a reply is posted. Your messages are
still archived.
Just to save you typing it or thinking it has any effect.

A webcam is only as good as the fitted lens.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Ron wrote:

> "Heidi Manway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> x-no-archive:yes
>>

> The no archive bit doesn't do anything in the body of a message

Yes it does, if it is on the first line by itself.

> or even if correctly placed in the headers and a reply is posted.
> Your messages are still archived.

Only the content of the post will be archived by your reply quoting it.
Her header and posting information will be gone from the archive in
seven days.

> Just to save you typing it or thinking it has any effect.

It is effective, but is kind of silly ...

--
-bts

thanatoid

"Heidi Manway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> x-no-archive:yes
>
> (1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using
> www.snipurl.com service )
>

> (2) http://snipurl.com/1322q
>

> I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl
> connection nearly everyone has that nowadays
>
> I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most
> expensive Webcam on the grounds you get what you pay for I
> cannot find a decent uptodate Independent Webcam Review
> Magazine Article.
>
> What have other peoples experiences being with regard to
> same?
>
> Heidi

If money is no object and you want very good quality, then don't
buy a "webcam", they're all crap, buy a real video camera or
camcorder (with a good zoom/macro lens) if possible and use the
video cable to connect to your computer's video input. You may
or may not need a plug adapter and/or a card for that connection
- or you may already have them. In any case, the plugs, cables,
cards and software are cheap.

You may already HAVE a good camcorder. Use the video out
connector.

CJL

"Heidi Manway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> x-no-archive:yes
>
> (1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using www.snipurl.com
> service )
>

> (2) http://snipurl.com/1322q
>

> I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
> nearly everyone has that nowadays
>
> I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
> the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
> Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.
>
> What have other peoples experiences being with regard to same?
>
> Heidi

Whatever you buy make sure that the pickup is CCD and not CMOS. CCD is much
better in low light conditions, where CMOS needs quite a bit of light. Right
now I am using a Philips SPC900NC. It is the best webcam I have ever used
and I have been using webcams for over ten years.

Heidi Manway

CJL wrote:
> "Heidi Manway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > x-no-archive:yes
> >
> > (1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using www.snipurl.com
> > service )
> >

> > (2) http://snipurl.com/1322q
> >

> > I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
> > nearly everyone has that nowadays
> >
> > I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
> > the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
> > Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.
> >
> > What have other peoples experiences being with regard to same?
> >
> > Heidi
> >

> Whatever you buy make sure that the pickup is CCD and not CMOS. CCD is much
> better in low light conditions, where CMOS needs quite a bit of light. Right
> now I am using a Philips SPC900NC. It is the best webcam I have ever used
> and I have been using webcams for over ten years.

>>What exactly is CCD? Thanks for your recommendation most appreciated.

Do you use Msn Messenger or Skype?

Heidi

CJL

"Heidi Manway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> CJL wrote:
>> "Heidi Manway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> > x-no-archive:yes
>> >
>> > (1) http://snipurl.com/1321r ( Ebay Link using www.snipurl.com
>> > service )
>> >

>> > (2) http://snipurl.com/1322q
>> >

>> > I am in the market for a good Quality Webcam I have a Dsl connection
>> > nearly everyone has that nowadays
>> >
>> > I was wondering whether it was wise to buy the most expensive Webcam on
>> > the grounds you get what you pay for I cannot find a decent uptodate
>> > Independent Webcam Review Magazine Article.
>> >
>> > What have other peoples experiences being with regard to same?
>> >
>> > Heidi
>> >

>> Whatever you buy make sure that the pickup is CCD and not CMOS. CCD is
>> much
>> better in low light conditions, where CMOS needs quite a bit of light.
>> Right
>> now I am using a Philips SPC900NC. It is the best webcam I have ever
>> used
>> and I have been using webcams for over ten years.

>>>What exactly is CCD? Thanks for your recommendation most appreciated.

> Do you use Msn Messenger or Skype?
>
> Heidi

CCD stands for charge coupled device, CMOS stands for complementary metal
oxide semiconductor. It's the part in the camera behind the lens that picks
up the light and converts it to electricity.

I use MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, ISPQ and ICUII.

Hope this helps.

Chris