Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Missing Icons and Multiple Entries

Missing Icons and Multiple Entries

chad

I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
normal one entry each. Any ideas?

Meat Plow

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 06:53:32 -0800, chad Has Frothed:

> I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
> except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
> thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
> for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
> normal one entry each. Any ideas?

Are they on the same network?

COOSN-266-06-25794

Bucky Breeder

"chad" posted this esurient inquiry in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:

> I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
> except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
> thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
> for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
> normal one entry each. Any ideas?

Of course! And *you* have come *to* the right-place *from* the right place
for a comprehensive and dead-on precisely targeted zero-bytes solution to
your vague-as-Sasquatch's-nuts problem with a business network environment.

Hire a competent IT tech.

Or maybe someone here is in their generous spirit, it is close to Christmas
after all.

--

To me, truth is not some vague and/or foggy notion.
Truth *is* real! And, at the same time - unreal.

This is "truth," to me.

chad

Yes they are.

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 06:53:32 -0800, chad Has Frothed:
>
> > I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
> > except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
> > thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
> > for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
> > normal one entry each. Any ideas?

> Are they on the same network?

> COOSN-266-06-25794

chad

Maybe you need to switch to decaf. Just a thought....

Bucky Breeder wrote:
> "chad" posted this esurient inquiry in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:
> >
> > I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
> > except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
> > thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
> > for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
> > normal one entry each. Any ideas?

> Of course! And *you* have come *to* the right-place *from* the right place
> for a comprehensive and dead-on precisely targeted zero-bytes solution to
> your vague-as-Sasquatch's-nuts problem with a business network environment.
>
> Hire a competent IT tech.
>
> Or maybe someone here is in their generous spirit, it is close to Christmas
> after all.
>
> --
>
> To me, truth is not some vague and/or foggy notion.
> Truth *is* real! And, at the same time - unreal.
> Fiction and fact and everything in between...
> Plus some things I can't even remember -
> all rolled into one big "thing."
>
> This is "truth," to me.

Bucky Breeder

>> "chad" applied for extreme makeover home editon in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:
>> >
>> > I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
>> > except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
>> > thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
>> > for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only
>> > ther normal one entry each. Any ideas?

> Bucky Breeder wrote:
>>
>> Of course! And *you* have come *to* the right-place *from* the right
>> place for a comprehensive and dead-on precisely targeted zero-bytes
>> solution to your vague-as-Sasquatch's-nuts problem with a business
>> network environment.
>>
>> Hire a competent IT tech.
>>
>> Or maybe someone here is in their generous spirit, it is close to
>> Christmas after all.

"chad" recorded this putatively libellous content in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Maybe you need to switch to decaf. Just a thought....

Suggestions from the missing-icon guy are always appreciated. Thanks.

Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday season.

--

If trees could scream,
would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?

Top

It happens that Bucky Breeder formulated :

> Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday
> season.

Same to you and yours Bucko!

Top

chad

Bucky is kinda funny! "The Missing Icon Guy" ...I love it!
Top wrote:
> It happens that Bucky Breeder formulated :
>
> > Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday
> > season.

> Same to you and yours Bucko!
>
> Top

Bucky Breeder

"chad" posted this esurient inquiry in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:

> I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
> except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
> thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
> for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
> normal one entry each. Any ideas?

> Top wrote:
>
> [some Christmas blessings and a short prayer for World peace]

"chad" posted this persistent and seemingly esurient inquiry
in news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Bucky is kinda funny! "The Missing Icon Guy" ...I love it!

Hello again "chad". I love the way you guys from the web interfaces all have
a mommie named Pap or Top or Tip or Yuk that comes out in your stead and
heaps a pile of righteous indignation almost instantly, like they were your
twin or alter-ego from the series "Hero" you know, like that bad-ass blonde
lady that you really don't want to **** off. Only she's not a retard...

Look, I believe you have User Account issues, and they be as varied as the
number of machines you have on the network, or they may share a common cause
(s), if you're running maintenance routines on the entire network... How it
could get so far out of hand without notice is curious, as is how it could
suddenly occur without notice of some event or combination of factors.

As far as your My Computer Icon, it is not an "icon" per se, what it is a
zero-byte sytem interface, and on most machines it's controls can be accessed
via Display Properties > Desktop tab > Customize Desktop button > General
tab. On a network, I would untick the Cleanup Wizard... and make appropriate
adjustments per user, per net admin's intentions.

And WTF knows which Administrative Templates have been tampered with, to an
ultimate cumulative effect?

If you are running any system cleanup software which deletes "zero byte
files" you could lose some of your system "icons" and have to recreate them.
It's "doable;" but it's a drill.

It seems to me that the taskbar buttons is a whole 'nuther issue, on the
surface, but there is so much information that you are leaving out of your
inquiry, that each item of each issue needs to addressed separately... How a
network shares these symptoms among machines, only the network admin, and
God, His Holy Self, would be feasibly able to narrow down the possible causes
without some hands-on, or extensive salient communication.

My view is that your OP (above) is incredibly vague when juxtaposed to my
experience with people who run and maintain networks.

So, what bothers me is that you may well be a malicious instrumentality
hiding your true identity through Google's na´ve kindnesses, and your real
motives are to screw with some hard-working soul's network.

Now, if someone else wants to weigh in on this, I have no problem with it,
but, it seems to me that the kind of assistance you're after is going to
require a bit more transparency on your part. To posterity: YMMV.

Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday season.

--

If trees could scream,
would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?
We might be so mean,
if they screamed all the time, for no good grounds.

Plato

chad wrote:

> I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
> except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
> thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
> for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
> normal one entry each. Any ideas?

Often seen on much used win98 systems. The permanent fix is deleting
windows, program files, and starting fresh.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/