Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Loading floppies without a floppy drive

Paul Welch

I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a
CD and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder
on the cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the
second cd to be inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there
is no place to insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the
first floppy to find it. Something does happen and it looks like it is
from master disks. Also the true fonts for this music program don't load.
Any suggestion?

Paul

Butch Haynes

"Paul Welch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GUB8h.14922$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
>laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a CD
>and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder on the
>cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the second cd to be
>inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there is no place to
>insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the first floppy to find
>it. Something does happen and it looks like it is loading, but when I get
>done its says install unsuccessful, reinstall from master disks. Also the
>true fonts for this music program don't load.
> Any suggestion?
>
> Paul

Burn second floppy to a different CD and insert it?

beenthere

"Paul Welch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GUB8h.14922$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
>laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a CD
>and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder on the
>cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the second cd to be
>inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there is no place to
>insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the first floppy to find
>it. Something does happen and it looks like it is loading, but when I get
>done its says install unsuccessful, reinstall from master disks. Also the
>true fonts for this music program don't load.
> Any suggestion?
>
> Paul

You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
Then put them on your CD.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:03:23 +0000, beenthere Has Frothed:

> "Paul Welch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GUB8h.14922$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
>>laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a CD
>>and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder on the
>>cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the second cd to be
>>inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there is no place to
>>insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the first floppy to find
>>it. Something does happen and it looks like it is loading, but when I get
>>done its says install unsuccessful, reinstall from master disks. Also the
>>true fonts for this music program don't load.
>> Any suggestion?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
> then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
> Then put them on your CD.

If the setup.exe has an *.ini file that it uses, that could be editied to
reflect an alternate path.

COOSN-266-06-25794

richard

"Paul Welch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GUB8h.14922$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
>laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a CD
>and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder on the
>cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the second cd to be
>inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there is no place to
>insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the first floppy to find
>it. Something does happen and it looks like it is loading, but when I get
>done its says install unsuccessful, reinstall from master disks. Also the
>true fonts for this music program don't load.
> Any suggestion?
>
> Paul

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=287

try an external usb floppy drive

Josh Graves

beenthere wrote:

> You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
> then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
> Then put them on your CD.

The two folder solution is the easiest and has worked well for me many
times in the past.

Be careful about the USB floppy drive solution, which was suggested by
someone else. That might or might not work depending on whether or not
the drive is supported by your system. Windows 98 is kind of
persnickety about USB. USB floppy drives *are* very handy to have. If
you are going to be using this laptop frequently I would recommend
getting one, just make sure it is supported by your system.

Josh Graves
http://www.thegeeksite.com

beenthere

"Josh Graves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> beenthere wrote:
>
>> You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
>> then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
>> Then put them on your CD.

> The two folder solution is the easiest and has worked well for me many
> times in the past.
>
> Be careful about the USB floppy drive solution, which was suggested by
> someone else. That might or might not work depending on whether or not
> the drive is supported by your system. Windows 98 is kind of
> persnickety about USB. USB floppy drives *are* very handy to have. If
> you are going to be using this laptop frequently I would recommend
> getting one, just make sure it is supported by your system.

Thank you for telling me that Josh, but I already knew.
You should have responded to the OP (Paul). <g>.
bw..OJ

Josh Graves

beenthere wrote:

> Thank you for telling me that Josh, but I already knew.
> You should have responded to the OP (Paul). <g>.
> bw..OJ

Hmmm... Seems to be I responded to the group and simply quoted your
post in agreement.

~ Josh

Plato

Paul Welch wrote:

> I am trying to load an Encore music program from two floppies on an old
> laptop (Win98 ) which has no floppy drive. I copied both floppies to a
> CD and tried to install from the CD. They are both in the same folder
> on the cd. First old floppy loads okay, but when it calls for the
> second cd to be inserted I'm not sure it is going in right. Since there
> is no place to insert it I have to depend on the setup.exe from the
> first floppy to find it. Something does happen and it looks like it is
> from master disks. Also the true fonts for this music program don't load.
> Any suggestion?

If you want to use floppy drive install then get a floppy drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

ellis_jay

Josh Graves wrote:
> beenthere wrote:
>
>> You could create 2 folders with the names of the floppies,
>> then put the contents of the floppies in those 2 folders.
>> Then put them on your CD.

> The two folder solution is the easiest and has worked well for me many
> times in the past.
>
> Be careful about the USB floppy drive solution, which was suggested by
> someone else.

>That might or might not work depending on whether or
> not the drive is supported by your system.

Don't recall about 98, but withxp using f12 or f2-I don't remember now- you
can add A: drive (floppy) in the setup and then an external floppy drive can
be used usb style. That is what we did when we had to fix a boot.ini
problem. recently

> Windows 98 is kind of
> persnickety about USB. USB floppy drives *are* very handy to have.
> If you are going to be using this laptop frequently I would recommend
> getting one, just make sure it is supported by your system.
>
> Josh Graves
> http://www.thegeeksite.com

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales